“Friendly & Responsive Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Homestead Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 N Homestead Drive, PO Box 99, Midway, UT 84049   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Midway
Herriman, Utah, United States
“Friendly & Responsive Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We took our family of five to stay for two nights over Labor Day weekend. We stayed in the Bunkhouse, which has two queen-size beds plus a closet-sized bunk bed room where we put our two youngest kids. We stayed in this same room over Memorial Day weekend and were very happy with it. This time, we had a quiet first night, then the second night had noisy neighbors. The bunk room has a door at the back side which can be opened to the adjoining bunk-room for a shared space for larger families. There is a door in each room that is bolted from the inside. Our kids, upon hearing the kids in the room next-door opening their door proceeded to open our door to meet them. I wish these doors were bolted up high so kids could not open and close them. The doors also allowed a great deal of noise to travel from their room to ours. I called the front desk when I was trying to put my kids to bed and the noise stopped.

There was a small fridge, but no microwave oven.

We enjoyed the indoor and outdoor pools and a swim in the crater.

The staff was friendly and responsive at every encounter.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Donald H, Manager at Homestead Resort, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for your suggestion about the doors in the bunk room, great idea. We will be changing the locks this week.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
West Valley City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

BUT could never really afford it. I work for a world-wide hotel chain I get a deal there that can't be beat, but i got a LivingSocial deal and as I go to Swiss Days there every year I thought it would be nice for my wife to experience as her first time and my second(hadn't been in 10-15 years). As usual, the grounds are great; big trees, flowers everywhere and groomed to a tee. We stayed in the Garden House but had no marks as to why it was named as such. A rather plain room, one of 6 in the house that was not decorated outside either. The best part was the large balcony from which we watched the thunder and lightening show followed by a heavy rain in the middle of the night.. Its been really hot so the 90 degree hot spring in the crater wasn't very tempting even with our free passes and as we are not golfers that was out as well although I've only heard great things about the course. I would never pay full price and the crater may be nice in the winter. Their brunch was very good years ago but its now at their sister property Zermatt(across the street) and is more expensive($33). With Swiss Days around I went with a Bratwurst sandwich. Never miss Swiss Days, skip the Homestead. There are better pricy resort hotels in town(Blue Boar, Old Mill, Inn on the Creek, etc.) to spend your money on. From Fine dining to Fancy Rooms.....as a pro photographer I've seen many inside and out in Midway.

Room Tip: ask to view rooms available if yours isn't to your liking. Ask staff and other vendors.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed over labor weekend for our anniversary, upon arriving we was excited as have stayed before in a cottage and we loved it. When got to our room which was a cottage it was a lot smaller then we though, the bathroom was very small, only one tv worked in the bedroom but the room with the couch the TV didn't work at all. This was not good as my husband just had back surgery so would prefer to sit on couch and watch tv. When we complained to the front desk they told us that there is a problem and nothing can do to fix The bed was also so hard and uncomfortable. The front desk staff did not have good customer service and when checking out didn't even ask how our stay was.
There was good service at the Fannys and the servers were nice.
We spend a lot of time over at the Zermett as they made u feel welcome over there and had a lot more to do activities. I think next time will be paying the same price and getting a lot more over at the Zermett.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Although the grounds are lovely and it was a peaceful place, the website completely misrepresented the rooms! I have stayed in Five Star hotels, average nation-wide chains and small locally owned lodging concerns and have had much better experiences than at The Homestead Resort. Based on the website, the rooms were updated, clean and bright. Not our room. It was expensive (group rate of $145/night), dark, dirty, dirty towels and had an extremely small bathroom with no counter space and generally very disappointing. The desk staff was not friendly upon check-in or out. Upon check-out, I was asked how my stay was and I expressed my concerns and opinion - I received an "Oh". No apology, nothing. Upon returning home I decided to call the General Manager, had to leave a message with the front desk and was told he would return my call, which didn't happen. After a week, I called again and left a detailed message on the GM's voice mail and still haven't had a call back. The Homestead is expensive, has misrepresented itself, very disappointing and I won't stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
We are sincerely sorry for not meeting your expectations during your stay. Upon returning from time off I did try reaching out to you so we could address your concerns. The concerns with the room not being properly cleaned is unacceptable and being addressed with our staff. In regards to the room rates we have always tried to be very competitive with our rates and offer very affordable packages at the Homestead. We understand if we do not meet your expectations it doesn't matter what we charge. Please accept our apologize and allow us in the future to gain back your trust. Thank you
Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband and I just spent a couple of nights here for our anniversary and it was not what I expected. Although the little houses look cute on their website, inside they are just a hotel room, and not an exceptional hotel room at that. (Each house contains 4 or 5 hotel rooms.) It was very clean and it was obvious the bed was new and quite comfy, but the room lacked color, very dimly lit and just very dull. Now that's not to say all the rooms are colorless and not well lit - I didn't see other rooms. I'll just say they look better in the pictures on their website.

The bathroom was tiny - not room for 2 people and only one sink, which, thank goodness, was outside the tiny bathroom.

Most rooms have a nice porch or deck with chairs. Ours was always shaded due to the enormous trees, which are one of the pluses of the Homestead - the grounds are beautiful. There are many enormous trees and flowers everywhere. We sat out on our deck to have a glass of wine and enjoy the peace and quiet, but there was little peace and quiet. They were mowing lawns, using blowers, hand-watering the foliage, and there was a constant stream of little carts driving all over the place. Although they are electric so no engine noise, the wheels on the sidewalks were a constant noise - and there are sidewalks everywhere. Makes it nice for walking but the little carts use them constantly.

I've lived in Utah most of my life and have been swimming at the Homestead several times over the years, but this is the first time we have stayed in the rooms. It will be the last probably. I do have to say that the food at Simon's was delicious as was breakfast at Fannie's. However, the coffee at Fannie's was terrible - bitter and too strong. I heard another guest complain about it tasting burnt - I agree. And why do hotel's have those crummy little coffee pots with the disgusting, ordinary coffee in their rooms? I'm not exactly a coffee snob, but I do like good coffee.

There are plenty of activities that would make for a fun family destination. There's swimming, sand volleyball, shuffleboard (outside), a game room, playgrounds (2 I think), an awesome 18-hole golf course, and, of course, the Crater, which is both a novelty and a serious scuba diving spot, heated by the hot springs, as is the swimming pool.

All in all it was a pretty good stay, but we won't be back. For the price, it was not worth it - not even for our KSL deal of $99 (+ $50 upgrade to a king room). Regular price is about $200 per night - I would put a price on the room we stayed in at about $80 - no more.

They do have excellent conference facilities - lots of space both inside and out.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Donald H, Manager at Homestead Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for your feedback on your stay. We apoligize for the coffee in Fanny's and have addressed it with our coffee company. In regards to your comment on rates we are always striving to be very competitive on our rates and offer great packages to our customers. We do hope you will allow us to create more anniversary memories for you in the future. Please feel free to contact me if I can answer any questions or assist in any way. Thank you
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

This place seemed great at first glance, but after getting settled in it wasn't so great. Service sucks, you can tell this place is understaffed. The rooms are not as great as I thought they would be. I was really disappointed in my stay here..I highly recommend going somewhere else..

• Stayed August 2012
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

The homestead is and use to be a great property. We brought in 50 + people for a family reunion. Rooms were very poor. (my 90 year old grandmothers house is more updated) We paid over $300 dollars for a condo that was in poor condition. We asked to use an empty conference room for a quick meeting. Only for a $250 charge. We also wanted to book the crater for a private swim party for our reunion. When we went to look at it, the manager would not even let us look. after several minutes of back and forth I asked for his name. He told me his name, and said that if I wanted to complain that the owners wife was standing right next to me. (She listened to the whole conversation) I asked if I could discuss the manner that this man handled my request, and she said "He is in charge" and she walked off.

Great property. Run down. Poorly and rudely managed. 5 star prices and walmart service. We will never go back, and I suggest you think twice before you book also.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Donald H, Manager at Homestead Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
We would like to apoligize for the way you were treated at the Crater. We will be meeting with the company which manages the Crater and addressing guest service with them. In regards to your comments about the age of our condos we are aware that we still have more buildings to work on. We have just finished refreshing 124 rooms and plan to remodel the condos this fall. Our ownership is committed to continuing the upgrades at the Homestead in the future. In order to continue to operate we must make changes in stages. Thank you for your comments and we hope you will allow us to meet your expectations in the future.

Been to Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!