“Had to find out for myself if ...........” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 118 Restaurants in Midvale
Cuisines: Mexican
aspd3815900
“Had to find out for myself if ...........”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

as one reviewer said "taco time would be better". I'm not sure I can agree with that comment but I did want to find out for myself. A friend of mine purchased a Groupon deal for this restaurant and based upon what he paid for the coupon, NO, Taco Bell is not better. Is it great Mexican food, not really. Is it good Mexican food, yes, I think so but given other choices and paying full price I'd go somewhere else although the prices are not expensive.

The restaurant is large and we had good service although it was not a busy time of the day. The chips were a 9 on a scale of 10 but the salsa was bland for my taste. I like chunks in my salsa. But if you can score a Groupon or other deal then it is a good value. I had the smothered burrito which they said is what they are "famous for". It was just good, not great. There might be some other items that you might enjoy. As the old Alka Seltzer commercial used to say "Try it, you'll like it" :)

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Portland, Oregon
“One meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

It was average Gringo style Mexican food. I had the Chili Verde burrito and one 3.2% beer (I didn't even know they still made watered-down beer like this. The server was very nice and attentive.

Visited July 2012
Oregon
“Best Mexican Food in SLC!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

WOW what a hidden jem! Building is old but this place was started 20+ years ago here by a family. Really great food and service!! Its not a fussy place at all! Just good food and good people! The mole in the Enchiladas is amazing, most of the time I get the smothered burrito which is super popular!

Oh yeah and Julia makes the best Maragaritas!!!! This is real home made beans and chips and salsa oh yeah and rice!

So if you dont need the best looking place but want really great food look no further!

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Bad food, bad service, bad all around.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011 via mobile

We stayed at the Magnuson motel next door to the restaurant. We ask three people for a recommendation about the Mexican Cafe and no one could say anything positive. That should have been enough to warn us but we had to find a place within walking distance because we had a big truck. We wanted good food and a Margarita. The hostess who greeted us was not very friendly and looked a bit rough. Seemed she would rather be anywhere than at work and didn't make a good first impression. The chips were not fresh and were heavily seasoned. The salsa was pureed and heat was the only stimulation for our tastebuds. The drinks were weak and overpriced. The food was horrible. We left most of it on our plates as it was just impalatable. The shredded beef had no seasoning and actually stank. The chicken was also flavorless. Instead of the creamy white cheese sauce to enhance the foods, our plates had a tasteless orange cheese that we failed to identify. The womens restroom was a disappointment. The divider between the stalls was a dual service dispenser for paper, seat protectors and a trash box. The boxes were missing so it left a gaping hole in the wall. Some things you just want to be private. When the waitress took our payment, she never offered to return our change. We had to ask for it. Her tip was laying in clear view on the table before she even took payment, but even if it wasn't, I was not pleased with her seeming assumption that she didn't need to return our balance. We will stay at the motel again, but we will search for another place to dine. Everything was bad, so I see no need to try again.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere