“Eeeeeeeeeeew” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
South Jordan, Utah
“Eeeeeeeeeeew”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012 via mobile

This place was the place to go for good Mexican food 10 to 15 years ago, now it's just dirty, overpriced greasy bland food. It cost my wife and I $20 for two plates of grease and no drinks. Very overpriced for the quality, the restaurant itself is filthy, beat up and very out of date. My wife noticed we were some of the few dining at El Farol that was under the age of 65. For the same $$$ you can get much better food and experience at La Puente or La Hacienda.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Thornton
“Poorly executed Americanized Mexican”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I eat excellent Mexican food in Arizona and New Mexico several times per year so my expectations in northern Utah were not high, but even then my visit to El Farol was disappointing. I was greeted by a Caucasian host who was friendly enough. I ordered two shredded beef tacos, chile verde enchilada, and tomatillo chicken enchilada, to go. My hotel was about 200 yards from the restaurant so the texture of the food shouldn't change.

The tacos were OK: not a lot of flavor in the meat, the cheese looked like sliced American, a whole tomato slice in each. The pork in the chile verde enchilada didn't have much chile verde flavor. The tortilla was soggy, coated with some sort of red sauce with little flavor. The tomatillo enchilada was filled with chicken that had a little flavor in it - but no other ingredients. The tomatillo sauce had zero spice - it tasted like nothing more than pureed tomatillos and a little salt. Neither enchilada had much meat filling.

The rice was good but the frijoles were like cement. Big pieces of bean were mixed in with a very thick puree. I expected to get a nice smoky flavor but it wasn't there. The red salsa that came with the meal looked and tasted like low quality grocery store salsa. It had no spice in it, tasted a lot like stewed tomatoes. It was just terrible.

The menu is overpriced for standard Mexican fare, especially for the low quality of the dishes. This restaurant is catering to people who have never had real Mexican food and probably think Applebee's has good food. (No offense if you like Applebee's!) I will not return to El Farol.

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Utah
“nothing special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

I really wasn't too fond of this place and I'm not picky. I rarely complain. I was with friends of friends who said it was "the best", and another friend had said she liked it too, but I didn't like any part of my meal. - Well, the chips and salsa to start with were OK. Refried beans were runny, smothered burito had way to many way too strong raw onions on it. Thin tortillas were both gummy underneath and too dry on the edges. I wasn't even sure what the meat in the filling was - pork? I just ordered what the experienced customers at the table ordered, thinking it would be good. Staff was friendly.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The food is a lot like Rafael's Mexican Restaurant. The owners are from the same family. They serve high quality...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

The food is a lot like Rafael's Mexican Restaurant. The owners are from the same family. They serve high quality food. The bean dip appetizer is especially good.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“long time family favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

long time family favorite

Been to El Farol? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage El Farol, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.