“Avoid at all costs” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 12 hotels in Midvale
Orofino, Idaho, USA
“Avoid at all costs”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

They're letting drunks come in at all hours of the night. Just got to sleep at 10:30pm & were woke up at midnight by a bunch of hollering drunk Mexicans. Just an awful place to stay. Very noisy and not worth the few $ savings on a better motel. Will not stay there again!

Room Tip: Try Super 8 instead.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Park City, Utah, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Checked in at 1:00 P.M. Dec 2012--- Checked out Just after midnight. Could not stand the smelly pillows and mattress, broken microwave.Fridge kept my food warm. Dirty carpet, stained towels, stained walls, screen on window hanging off. WIFI worked occasionally. Finally left at midnight and found a different and much nicer hotel to stay in. Manager could care less

Room Tip: I cannot think of a room in this place, anyone would want to stay in!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Middletown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Let me note at the outset that this review is for a 10-day stay here in late 2007, at a time when the hotel was calling itself a "National 9 Discovery Inn", when I needed to stay in the south Salt Lake City area for an extended research field trip.

Based upon an online search, I chose this hotel and made my reservations for the 10-day stay online; the price per night quoted in the online reservation was quite reasonable, around $55. After having made the online reservation, I then called the hotel the next day to ask if it would be okay for me to use two parking spaces instead of one, as a friend of mine was driving down from Idaho to join me for 5 days of my stay, and she would be needing to park her pickup truck in the parking lot too. And, I also asked if it would be okay if she brought her two well-behaved mid-sized dogs along.

Well, the person to whom I spoke on the phone, who turned out to be an assistant manager, was angelic! She first thanked me for having made the 10-day online reservation the day before, and she then okayed my friend parking her truck in the parking lot (i.e., as a second vehicle associated with my stay) for the durationof her 5-day stay with me, and she also gave me permission for my friend's two dogs to stay in the room with us, at only a tiny additional charge.

And, to top it off, she happened to notice that I when I had made my online reservation, I had agreed to pay about $57 per night for the room. She told me that she had made a notation on my reservation to the effect that she was reducing my price-per-night to just $50, because, she said, I sounded like the kind of person that she wanted to reward for staying in her hotel.

Well, my stay in this hotel turned out to be great! In fact, the only thing that I noticed that would qualify as a complaint was the fact that the WiFi reception in my assigned hotel room was somewhat spotty, but this was, in part, due to the internal WiFi antenna/modem built into my the laptop that I was using at the time; it was noticeably insensitive. To help solve this problem, the front desk clerks loaned me an external WiFi card to plug into a port on my PC, and this loaner external WiFi card turned out to be quite a bit more sensitive than the internal WiFi antenna/modem in my PC, and this solved the WiFi access problem to a great extent. The front desk staff also offered to allow me to switch to a room that had stronger WiFi signals, but I refused their offer, as I did not wish to bother changing rooms.

I can think of no other problems associated with my stay at this hotel. Yes, it is true that the external paint job on some of the buildings was getting a bit thin and old, but I did not find this at all visually offensive, and, in fact, the faded color helped the hotel to blend into the local sandy desert/suburban landscape. And yes, the towels were a bit worn, but they were very clean, and they were extrmely absorbent, and also very soft and comfortable to use, and, from my viewpoint, what more could one ask of a good bath towel or hand towel?

Yes, it is true that this hotel, as is true of all lower-priced urban and suburban hotels, had a modest percentage of guests who had obviously been placed here by the city or county social services department, but this did not cause me any problems in any way.

One REALLY NICE thing about this hotel is the location - it is near all the large N/S main roads and highways servicing the southern SLC region, and there is an amazing old-fashioned restaurant called "The Mining Company" located next door to the hotel, and even better, diagonally across the street I found a thoroughly amazing high-end Mexican fast food place (with an enormous seating area), apparently not part of a national chain but rather privately owned by a local family, and the food was of very high quality! (I am trying not to obsess about their breakfast burritos as I write this review. ...!).

By the way, my friend who had driven down from Idaho to spend five days of my stay with me also thoroughly enoyed the hotel, and her dogs loved the room (and they treated it with great respect)!

In closing, I will tell you that if I ever needed to stay in this south-SLC area again, I would choose this hotel again in a heartbeat, because all of my memories of my lengthy stay here are wonderful!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Janesville, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Okay, I will give the place points for:
1. Being colorful
Dingy and grey.
Towels were stained black.
Sheets and comforter were stained yellow.
Tub had mildew

Fridge was broke
TV was small and old
I couldn't get wi-fi

Get the picture?

I booked this dive nonline. The pictures and hotel description were deceiving.

Finally, I have a license to carry a concealed weapon. I kept my weapon on the nightstant. The place is creppy.

I feel the motel owner has failed the public by offering such a product. He or she needs to fix it or close it!

• Stayed August 2012
Kearn, UT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Even tho we had a non-smoking room, it smelled of cigarettes all the time. Running the bathroom fan made it worse. Hordes of people standing right outside their rooms smoking away and those on the second floor sprinkling their ashes over the railing onto cars parked below.

Sign in the room says towels will be inventoried at end of stay and a charge added for missing towels. Who would want them - tiny, rough, stained, smelly.

Mildew in the shower and around the toilet.

Staff was friendly and helpful and has a nice pool.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Temecula
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We just needed a basic place to sleep during long road trip, and this was suitable. Used a highway magazine coupon and got a double for $50, which was cheaper than all the others in the area. A/C was very noisy, but other than that, room was decent, with all the amenities. However, the towels were the worst I've ever seen in a motel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed for 1 night on route between Jackson and Kanab. We picked this up after the Days Inn wouldnt honour their coupon. This hotel was reasonable price and had a pool. The room was big and the bed was comfortable. All the amenities were good (fridge micro etc). The best thing about the hotel was the staff. At first i thought they were a bit off hand but they really did try hard. We had brought a phone charger from the UK but it didnt work in the US so we asked the lady on reception if she had one. She brought two to our room to see if they were any good. She also wrote down the names of pubs/restaurants and was very helpful with local travel. Also, she got us pool towels really quickly and was generally really helpful.

In addition, the breakfast was great. I saw no evidence of any unusual people or activity.

Overall a really nice short stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Discovery Inn? Share your experiences!