You added Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Union Park to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Union Park
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Midvale
Prescott, Arizona
“Great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

My first stay at this property. Was an excellent experience all the way around ( although the local road construction is a pain). Front desk staff was absolutely excellent, room was more than I expected for the price. I pay my own business expenses so I am a real cheapskate when it comes to hotels (most look the same when the lights are off). When you take the price into consideration, this place is a steal. No, it is not the Four Seasons, but it does not cost $450.00 a night. I read all of the other reviews (including "LAJoe2012"). I know it sounds like we must have stayed at different properties. However, my experience was great, I will be in the Salt Lake area once a month for the next few years (new job). I will continue to stay here until I have a "LAJoe" experience.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 130.To close to the Laundromat/ vending machines- a little noisy at times. Not unbe...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Union Park, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Ray - We appreciate you taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. We are so glad that you found us to be a great value and had a comfortable stay.

Thank you again for your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Moab, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We had a 2 day stay at the extended stay america, both of which were good. Every encounter with the staff at the extended stay america as lovely, they were all very nice and pleasant to be around! The facility was very clean and comfortable. Overall I couldn't have picked a better hotel our stay was great.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Union Park, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We appreciate the very kind comments about our staff. We are proud of our staff for taking such great care of you. We're glad that you had an enjoyable stay in your clean, comfortable room.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to us at slu@extendedstay.com. We do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I am active duty military with more than 18 years of service. I have lived in very austere conditions, in the worst parts of the world. I do not take time out of my day or life to write reviews very often so that should serve as a foreword to how bad this particular location is. I will say the location is not great if you want to be close to the city center but it is not terrible. The location with regards to access to normal things that make a stay convenient, it has. The exterior of the building is nice and the lobby is also quite nice looking compared to other Extended Stays. This review will be on two subjects:

Cleanliness of Room:
It is dirty. It smells like smoke, there were hairs on toilet seat, shower walls, shower floor, sink, counter. Apparently someone has not been taking their Propecia and even worse, no one has bothered cleaning the rooms with any conviction since they left. The air conditioner emits a less than lovely cigarette smell which at least goes with the wonderful array of over 7 cigarette burns in the tattered and cigarette smelling stained blanket. Just as well I would not allow that blanket to touch my body and have purchased my own sheets. This is the convenience I mentioned earlier about location - there is a Marshalls right down the street. Add $19.99 to your stay for the sheets. Enjoy the lumpy and dented in the middle style mattress which I am sure has not been replaced in many a year even though supposedly this place was recently renovated.

Now the second part - Business Practice and customer service: As mentioned at the beginning of this review I am military. I am actually here in Salt Lake City on official business and using a Government Credit Card. My maximum allowance for lodging per day is $103 before tax. That being said - I made this reservation weeks prior to my stay for a 7 night period and was given the weekly rate of approximately $79.99 and the daily rate, had I not been staying for a week was $89.99. My dates of travel changed, I am military and do not make my own orders, and so upon check in I informed them that I would only be staying 6 nights. This is where things got shady (for lack of a better word). I was told that since I was not staying a week they would be charging me the daily rate of $169.00. I informed them that I made the reservation already and that that is a ridiculous amount for an Extended Stay hotel. They mentioned that they did not control this price and that due to the conference taking place in town they had raised the prices after vacancies started drying up at other hotels. This would be called price gouging in any other business but Hotels are slightly exempt from this and can fluctuate prices. I understood this, and had I been making a new reservation then I would be forced to pay this amount or deal with it. I however, had made this reservation prior to the rates being so high and was only shortening the days for my stay. I asked that the daily rate at the time I made the reservation of $89.99 be honored and they told me they could not and would not.

Why don't I go to another hotel you may ask? There are none...and Extended Stay knows this. The conundrum here is that they have my government card number and they told me that if I were to check out the few days early they would charge me a $169 per night rate for the length of the stay. So now I am held hostage, unable to leave without paying for an extra few nights out of pocket when I will not even be in the state and will be back at my duty station (base). I decided not to argue and to call the toll free number. I spoke with someone in their reservation department and was told they can do nothing for me but that they would connect me to guest relations. I am not exaggerating when I say I was on hold for 1 hour and 7 minutes before being automatically forwarded back to reservations with no warning. No one from guest relations every spoke to me. I called corporate offices the following day and spoke to the accounts and rates department who then forwarded me to Guest Relations again, but this time to a particular individual who had a voicemail. I left a voicemail and after 7 hours I called back and mentioned that no one had ever called me back. I was then forwarded to Guest relations again and stayed on hold for 47 minutes prior to being automatically forwarded back to reservations. At this point I am not even sure they actually have a guest relations department. I explained my issue to the operator at reservations who then attempted to connect me to Guest Relations, and we were disconnected. I called back and spoke to reservations yet again and asked if they know their phone system keeps customers on hold for extended amounts of time and then sends them back to reservations and they said Guest services was closed when I called. I mentioned that it was open for 35 of the 47 minutes I was on hold and they said they answer as the calls are received and they start answering calls SOMETIMES AROUND 10 or 1030-ish. Exact words.

I, apparently enjoying pain, decided to call back and try one last ditch effort to fix the issue but was spoke to by a woman who was a "floor supervisor" and was "trying to help" by telling me over and over there was nothing she could do to help and that I would basically just have to deal with it and keep calling guest relations over and over until they answered.

Thank you Extended Stay America and I hope you understand that I will spend way too much time and energy ensuring that your hotels are removed as viable options in the Defense Travel System. Since this was all over three nights in a hotel with cigarette burnt sheets (but it's non-smoking right) filthy hair covered facilities, bums and druggies hanging outside with no shirts on smoking all sorts of wonderful things, pit bulls tied to emergency exits which are propped open so any one of the other shady folks wandering in and out of this hotel can gain access.

What a wonderful establishment. I will never stay at an Extended Stay America again and I will not stop working this system until your hotels are blocked from Department of Defense employees on official travel as being shown your properties as an option in the Defense Travel System.

In closing - teach your employees that bad news is bad news, it is life and that cannot be avoided. It is the manner in which the news is delivered and the lack of empathy which is so readily apparent. I have much much stronger language I would love to use in this review but I can assure you this is not where anyone other than the destitute should stay. I only wish I could find another location but even if I did and left immediately they would charge me triple what the rate was when the reservation was made. Beautiful.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Union Park, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
We received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. We are very sorry to hear about your experience. Please accept our sincere apologies. We are disappointed that you were not notified of our reservation policies. Our company offers many different rates based on the length of stay and they are subject to change due to factors like availability, length of stay, location, etc. These factors also affect our discounts and their availability in the system. When a guest makes a reservation, they are ensuring that they receive the rates offered at the time of booking for the length of that stay. When the reservation is changed, it is policy at every hotel for the rate to revert to the current daily rate and if discounts are available then they can be applied to the new reservation. We are sorry for the many inconveniences that this caused you. We will be working with our staff to make sure everyone is aware of our policies and are informing our guests properly. Secondly, the situation you described regarding the status of your room is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. In response to your feedback, we are following up with our housekeeping staff to ensure that room issues are reported and addressed.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. If you have any additional comments, we would like to hear it. Please contact us, at slu@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.
Manti
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

For a single person just needing a good place to sleep, it was very good. The grab and go breakfast was good with enough variety. The room had everything I needed. The service at the desk was excellent.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Moab
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The check-in process was quick and easy. Rooms were large, clean and fresh and that is always a MUST. You definitely get a bang for your buck at this hotel. No complaints here...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Union Park, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Sheree - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about our staff and hotel. We are glad you felt that you received your money's worth and that we provided you with a clean, comfortable room. We strive for our customers to feel that way.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to us at slu@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will return to our hotel in the future.
West Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

There is a hole in the bathroom door where someone's head had to have gone through, the floor wasn't vacuumed, and the safety chain has been busted off the door. The gangbangers hanging around in the parking lot add a nice touch too, as do the clothes hanging off the entire 2nd-floor balcony. From the outside, it looks like a nice little hotel in a residential neighborhood, but your first impression is NOT to be trusted.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Union Park, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I apologize for the cleanliness and maintenance issues you experienced during your stay with us. I will be meeting with our housekeeping and maintenance staffs to review your comments to ensure these issues are properly addressed. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at slu@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Simi Valley, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stopped in Midvale to visit some friends while moving cross country. The ESA was probably not the best fit since we were only staying one night, but aside from the lackluster breakfast, it was wonderful. Great price, clean rooms, IHOP next door. Would recommend to anyone staying more than a few nights. Otherwise, stay at a Best Western or something and enjoy a hot breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Union Park, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about our rooms, price, and location; however, we apologize that you were not satisfied with our grab-and-go breakfast. Your comments will be helpful as we continue to improve our breakfast offering. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at slu@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midvale
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City-Fort Union
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Salt ...
#34 of 74 in Salt Lake City
Midvale Inn
#4 of 12 in Midvale
4.0 of 5 stars 158 reviews
La Quinta Inn Salt Lake City Midvale

Been to Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Union Park? Share your experiences!