“Room for Improvement” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Layton
Minnesota
“Room for Improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

There are a couple of things that I would like to share regarding our stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in Layton. First of all, the staff is TOP NOTCH. Everyone we encountered had a smile on, greeted us when they saw us and, overall, provided all-around excellent customer service. Brandi, a waitress is the restaurant, was exceptional! Now on to some constructive criticism:

1. Our room - I like my rooms clean. No hair in the shower/tub or on the floors, no "obvious" stains anywhere in the room, etc...and our suite, Room 237, was definitely showing its years.

The whirlpool tub had hair in it upon our arrival and was yellow/rusted around the jets. So much so that neither my husband nor I wanted to use it and we wouldn't allow our children to either. Second, the couch had stains on it. Some were very large, almost like someone had spilled something. I'm not sure what it was, but it was gross. We needed it for our daughter to sleep on the pull-out bed, otherwise we probably wouldn't have used it. Overall, the cleanliness of the room could have been much, much better. Also, the pillows were horrible. Way to hard. The bed was just ok.

2. The pool - YUCK! We had hoped to enjoy the pool area each day during our stay but ended up only using the facilities one day due to the condition of the pool area. The edges of the pool literally had what appeared to be mold growing all over them. And I'm not just talking about a little mold here and there...I'm talking about mold that could be found around the entire diameter of the pool. It was easily seen even sitting in the poolside chairs. We swam for a while the second day of our stay (which was 5 nights total) but I wouldn't allow my children to touch the sides of the pool -- and then we never used it again.

3. Noise level - I'll start by saying that overall the noise level inside of the hotel was very good. However, we had a problem two nights in a row with noise from the outside of the hotel filtering into our room. It must have been from Club Fahrenheit because we could hear music playing and people's voices REALLY carried into our room. So much so that my husband and I had problems falling asleep those two nights. (I'm sure it was people using the outside patio area at the club).

We didn't report any of these issues to management during our stay, as it really isn't in our nature to complain. However, I did provide this information in a survey that we received after our stay. Based on our "customer service experience" at the hotel, I'm confident these issues will be looked into.

As I mentioned initially, the service at this hotel was excellent and the location was perfect. (Lots of stores, restaurants, and things to do in the area!) If we returned, would we stay at this property again? Possibly, but not without first knowing that the room and pool cleanliness issues had been taken care of. Otherwise, we would probably look at staying at a different Hilton property in the same area.

Room Tip: I would suggest requesting a room that is on the opposite side (and opposite end) of the hotel from...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
San Deigo, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I've stayed here many times over the past 5 years and always had a great stay. They work hard to be the best. The staff is helpful and the rooms are always clean and smell good. I have never had a complaint.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed here for a business function at the connected Davis Conference Center. The rooms are nice, comfortable beds and good, clean bathrooms. The breakfast spread was perfect for me on the go, as well as full breakfast options. Fitness center is small but sufficient and same for the pool/hot tub. This is in a great location with multiple nice restaurants to choose from in walking distance.

Room Tip: My 1st level room looks directly into the main parking lot, if you want a little more privacy I'...
Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hailey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The hotel was very nice and the lagoon package was a very good value. It included discounted park tickets, free parking (itself a $9 perk), and a pretty good breakfast. The free hotel breakfast is never quite as good as it looks anywhere you go. This was pretty good and the staff were very nice.

Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

There were a few hiccups at check-in, but Tawny took care of them quickly. The lobby looks wonderful, great surprise as the website has a picture of the old lobby. Chris and Tawny at the Front Desk and Maria at Breakfast are wonderful. We had a great stay and would select this property again. I heard that the rooms were going to be remodeled and that is great news as our room looked a little 'tired' and the carpet is in need of replacing.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I have always had a wonderful and relaxing experience when I have stayed at this hotel, the staff is knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. They sincerely want their hotel to be the high point of your travel experience. I especially love the new look since the remodel. Total PACKAGE!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

from the first impression with the retro hip decor to the soft, clean, crisp sheets- the amazing breakfast deal- all was perfect . Thank you for making a stressful weekend an amazing memory. The bar on property was very nice- as well as the work out center and pool areas. We spent a lot of time there- with parts of the lounge roped off and great privacy for family time and special activities like gift giving and sharing conversations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City/Layton? Share your experiences!