“Very impressed” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Clearfield, Utah
“Very impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Someone called and wanted to take me to a business lunch meeting. I googled Layton top restaurants and on tripadvisor found this restaurant so we thought we would try it out. The chips they brought us were warm and we had access to the salsa bar. We had ordered guacamole and queso appetizers which were both good. I had the Cantina Chimichanga after asking for recommendations and was happy I did. I also ordered the Churro Sundae and it is enough to serve several people. Nice presentation of food. Very pleased with all of it and the service.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Lathrop, California
“Amazing!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

This place is going down as one of my all time favorite Mexican restaurants!!! I read some previous reviews about the salsa bar, and I have to agree with most that speak about their mango salsa! Words can not describe how great it was. I could have had the salsa bar all night and I would have been good. I had the pork nachos appetizer to start out. The starter was big enough to be a dinner. Great choice to share with a table of three or four. For dinner I chose a unique dish in the "Mexican Lasagna" instead of the traditional sauce which was on the menu, I chose to have mine with their Mole sauce. In my opinion it was the the best Mexican meal I have had in a long time. I would recommend this as a first choice if this will be your first time dining here! Great, great place for Mexican food in this town! Hope you enjoy!!

Layton, Utah
“Good stuff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We are moving to the area and will miss our great Mexican restaurants in our home city. We thought we would try out the Cantina to see if this could be one of our "go-to" places in the future. Initially I thought the salsa bar was kind of corny, and didn't like the fact we had to go up and get our own chips. Got to tell you, there were some tasty varieties of salsa on that bar. I think I tried four plus the pickled carrots. I am actually looking forward to the salsa bar more than the meal on my next visit.

I had the chile rellenos -- excellent choice. The chiles stayed crisp in their fried batter even with the red sauce on it. The red sauce tasted very fresh -- although I would have liked there to be more spice in it. I opted for the cilantro rice and black beans vs. the spanish rice and refried beans. I was pleased with my choice -- good stuff.

For dessert, we shared the Xango Cheesecake -- essentially a fried cheesecake with caramel sauce and ice cream. Yeah, it didn't suck. I rarely ever get dessert at a restaurant. I cannot imagine going back to the Cantina and not getting this again. Very tasty.

Service was average and the decor was a little underwhelming. Food was good. We will come back.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Great food with service to match”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I was very impressed with the restaurant's ability to get us seated right away and pace their service with our needs. Having 2 young children with us, slow service can be a nightmare...not so at the Cantina. We visited another restaurant that had a 45 minute wait (for food of lower quality!) and decided to try the Cantina before heading home. We had a great experience there and will definitely return.

Visited December 2013
Layton, Utah
“A bit above average Mexican Restaraunt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Thursday, 2 January 2013 at about 4 PM we decided to give Layton establishment a try. There was only one other couple in the other side so the excellent service we got may or may not be normal.

Initial impression was very friendly and helpful wait staff, our water carafe was kept full, the chips and salsa came fast as well as answers to some questions we had and the information on the salsa bar that came with our dinner.

My wife ordered the Enchiladas con Queso ($8.15) and wanted them made with Ranchero sauce instead of the standard Verde or Rojo, no problem. She did say it was milder than she is use to though (almost like flavored tomato sauce someone complained about). Entrees come with a choice of Spanish or Cilantro rice (and yes, the Spanish does have some carrots in it) and Refried or Black beans. Other than a bit on the mild side she liked the enchilada, although the ends were kind of tough like it had been sitting for a while.

I got the Chile Relleno plate ($11.95) and was asked if I wanted the extra tortillas (some people just waste them) and if I wanted corn or flour. The only complaint I had was the egg batter appeared to be fried in too much/too cool of grease. Other than that they had a nice Anaheim pepper taste and were of decent size and a nice cheese filling, and the batter was not too thick (almost too thin). Not the best I have had, but far from the worst and I would try them again if in the mood for Chile Relleno.

The Spanish rice was nothing special, other than the carrots, and the black beans were good but lacking in spice but since I made tacos out of them, it worked out. The soft corn tortillas made good tacos with the Spanish rice, black beans, and pico from the salsa bar, could have used some cheese but that is the Gringo in me.

In reprise, service was a 5, food was 3.5 with having the tortillas and the salsa bar pulling it up to a 4.

Overall a better than average place but just a little bit pricy for this style of cooking, although we did not go away hungry so it was worth it. We will probably go back on a Wednesday when we can share a free dessert.

CAVEAT: I give very few Mexican style restaurants above a 4 and I rate Taco Bell as a 1 to 1.5 (depending on what they are offering). Most of the restaurants I recall that may be a 5 are in places like Texas, Arizona, and Southern California.

• Visited January 2014