“New hotel in "The Twilight Zone"” 1 of 5 stars

Military Family Rate
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Layton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Denver, Colorado
“New hotel in "The Twilight Zone"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

This is a newer property in the Layton area. I have family here so I stay in the area a few times a year. This was my first visit to Home2.

First impressions were good. The hotel looks clean, and the check in experience was easy. Thats where it all ends. I had many problems with this my room and how the property was maintained. I also had billing issues. Never once was the Home2 "We guarantee an engaging experience and clean, comfortable accommodations. If you aren't completely satisfied, let us make it right or that night's on us." Guarantee offered.

The rooms look clean upon arrival but thats the only time they are fully cleaned. If you ask for it the maid says they only do a "touch up" for the environment. Also they use bulk containers for Shampoo and soap which is fine if they have shampoo and soap in them. Apparently they don't regularly check them because my soap was empty. Also when I retrieved a towel from the rack, the metal connector came undone and I had to push it back in so it wouldn't fall off. When you turn on the tv its just static which seems out of place for a Hilton product. The Hilton website says they offer HBO which they don't. The beds were comfortable but the rooms clearly didn't have enough sound proofing as I could hear my neighbor close their window shade each night and voices. I could also hear footsteps overhead. I have never had these sorts of noises in a Marriott Courtyard.

Another detail on the Hilton website said the pool was saline. This is a definite plus as it doesn't bother your eyes or cause skin irritation. The only problem is that its not true. The pool room is extremely hot, in fact we felt heat coming from the vents and it reeked of chlorine. The front desk said only the jacuzzi had chlorine in it, but after just a few moments in the pool, it was clear it was overloaded with chlorine itself.

Not a great impression when everything on the website is complete lies. Also, the breakfast is a joke. You do get the basics of cereal, yogurt and juice. But while watching the employee put the leftover breads away, she was using her bare hands. Gross! Also they have a toasted egg thing that even an astronaut would find disgusting.

My last problem with this hotel was that I booked on the Hilton site with an advance purchase. My stay was already paid for. I was charged again when I checked out and didn't realize till I was home. I spoke to a young lady who said she would research it and call me back. She called me back and let me know that she fixed the double charge. It's been over a week later and still no credit. I called the hotel directly this morning and asked to speak to the manager. After a minute the clerk asked me my name, I gave it and it was almost another 8 minutes before the manager came on. Not very nice treatment. He then looked through my record and says it is now fixed. I expressed my displeasure with the whole experience and gave him a chance to bring up the guarantee. I am also a Gold HHonors member so I thought he would do something. Nothing... he just said it would post in a few days. If this is how they treat valued guests, I would stay away from this property. it's not worth the trouble. Sadly I had high hopes but they were dashed. You would be better off to stay at a Marriott product or even the Hilton Garden in accross the street.

Room Tip: To get the best room, stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
GabeGarn, General Manager at Home2 Suites By Hilton, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
I appreciate you coming and staying with us and for taking the time to speak with me about the issues you encountered. I am sorry that you experienced the things that you did. It was great being able to talk to you about the stay and explain some things and to display my commitment to make things right for you. We have taken the steps to ensure what happened to you will not happen moving forward. I hope the next time you come to the Layton area to visit your family you really do give us another chance to win your loyalty. Please call me when you do I look forward to talking to you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

My family and I stayed at this lovely hotel in July (2011) and were met with a couple of issues. Hotel Manager Gabe responded quickly and approached the situation with grace, a friendly and apologetic manner, and a determination to make things right, which he did. With management of this kind, you just can't go wrong. Thanks, Gabe, for your superior customer service. It just doesn't get any better than this.

This hotel is clean and new, and the room's layout was terrific. The beds were cozy and comfy. We look forward to another stay!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
GabeGarn, General Manager at Home2 Suites By Hilton, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Thank you for your kind words about me and the hotel. We really try our best to take care of our valued guests. It is the people like yourself that make it so easy to love my job. I hope you come back real soon and thank you again for your kindness, it means a great deal to me. Take care.
Apache
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Seth was the first person I met when I arrived after a long day of travel. Seth was great, I was welcomed with great customer service and told of the new hotel and the ammenities. The room was even better. Everything was pristine and new. I loved the kitchen, the work area and the bed was comfortable too. The hotel is centrally located near fine restaurants and family owned eateries. A short distance is the Layton Mall with even more. Not enough washers and dryers, but they are located near the front desk, the pool and in the exercise room, so I felt safe even late in the evening doing laundry. Now with this all said, I hope Home2 continues to take the per diem rate for those of us who travel a lot and need a safe, clean place to rest and work out of.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
GabeGarn, General Manager at Home2 Suites By Hilton, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. Seth was so happy to hear you mention him by name. I love the rooms at our hotel too. The beds with the microfiber sheets are so soft and comfortable. They even take less time to dry so they are better for the environment too. We will continue to take our friends from the military. Thank you for your service for our country. I hope the next time you come to Layton you stop by to see Seth and the rest of our great staff.
Rainier,Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

Stayed here on the way to Vegas from Oregon. We wanted to stay in the Salt Lake area to take our 10yr old son to the awesome dinosaur park in Ogden only 10 minutes away. I am a Hhonors member so we try to stay at the Hilton chain whenever possible. They had a point stretcher deal for only 7500 points for one night so we decided to give Home2 a shot. Wow, for a cheaper property, this place was very clean, kinda had the contemporary new wave look. Had a full size fridge, microwave, kitchen sink, 42' TV super comfy bed and a awesome bathroom. We used the pool and the hot tub, the pool was a little on the cool side but wasnt to bad. There are many places to eat within walking distance. We ate at Roasters a block away, my wife got a cup of their cheese soup and I'll tell you, it was to die for. All in all, if I was in the Salt Lake area again, I would not think twice, I would book Home2 Suites in Layton. Oh, and you do get a free cont. breakfast in the morning and they have free use computers in the lobby.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for being a loyal Hilton customer and for trying our wonderful new hotel. My kids love that dinosaur park too. I am glad you enjoyed the many great features at our hotel like the big 42 inch flat screens, pool and hot tub, and of course breakfast. I love the great local restraunts that are close and thanks to your recommendation I will go to Roosters and try this cheese soup. I hope you come back soon so I can get other great restraunt tips.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

First of all: this new Hilton brand goes on the right way, rooms r oversized and with big lcd tv's, clean and with a lot of "fashion" furniture, in room and also reception. And price is affordable. Location is just out salt lake but at walking distance of malls, restaurants. But possible to do better: clean library and furniture in Breakfast area, they r full of dust! And Breakfast was quite poor in choice and quality

• Stayed August 2011
Thank you for giving us the chance to earn your loyalty. I agree the rooms seem very big especially when you consider how much they have going on in them. We have a kitchen with a convection microwave, dishwasher, apartment size fridge and freezer. The TV's are 42 inches and we even have a movable table for increased desk/office space. I am glad you enjoy both the price and location of our hotel. I hope the next time you come to Layton you come back to the Home2 by Hilton.
Littleton, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

I stayed here for just one night, and even though this property is designed for more extended stays, it was great! I have stayed at the Hampton and Hilton Garden in Layton, and now this place. They are all within a couple of blocks of each other (HGI is right across the street). This is the newest, most contemporary, and has the most ammenities (although I do love the staff and coziness at the Hampton!). I would definitely stay here again, especially for a longer stay. The only drawback was an odd smell in the rooms. At first I thought someone had smoked in the room, and changed to a second room, but that one smelled the same. I think it might be the cabinets. Everything is very new. Even with my short stay, I was able to take advantage of the full fridge and freezer to have a beverage in a frosted glass!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
GabeGarn, General Manager at Home2 Suites By Hilton, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Thank you for giving us a chance to win your loyalty. Hearing you enjoyed this hotel after staying at other great lodging choices in the area means a lot. I am glad you took advantage of the fridge and freezer. I always tell people even for short stays that a kitchenette is so handy. Thank you again and we can't wait to have you come back.
Kanab, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights with our 2 kids. The staff while checking in and out were very friendly. The beds were as comfortable as the other reviewers mention, and the kids slept well on the pull out couch. The hotel is in a great location with a mall, movie theater, and lots of different restaurants close by. My only gripe was with the soap/shampoo dispensers in the shower (no bath, which is something to consider with small kids, but even our 2-year-old did fine in the shower). The soap dispenser was nearly empty when we arrived so we used some soap we had in our travel bags. The shampoo dispenser was a little annoying as it only gave me one drop at a time. I realize these were installed as a "green" feature, but I do have to agree that my own bottle would have been nice. Overall though I was happy with our stay here and would recommend it especially to business travelers or couples as it is definitely geared more toward them than families.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
GabeGarn, General Manager at Home2 Suites By Hilton, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Thank you for staying with us with your family. I am happy to hear your kids slept well on our sofa sleepers. I have even had adults that slept on them tell me it felt like a regular bed. I agree with you we have a great location with so many shopping and eating options. Thank you for commenting on the friendly staff that means so much to us. I hope the next time your travels take you to Layton we get the honor of having you back.

Been to Home2 Suites By Hilton? Share your experiences!