“Nice new hotel in a great location.” 5 of 5 stars

Military Family Rate
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Layton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kanab, Utah
“Nice new hotel in a great location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights with our 2 kids. The staff while checking in and out were very friendly. The beds were as comfortable as the other reviewers mention, and the kids slept well on the pull out couch. The hotel is in a great location with a mall, movie theater, and lots of different restaurants close by. My only gripe was with the soap/shampoo dispensers in the shower (no bath, which is something to consider with small kids, but even our 2-year-old did fine in the shower). The soap dispenser was nearly empty when we arrived so we used some soap we had in our travel bags. The shampoo dispenser was a little annoying as it only gave me one drop at a time. I realize these were installed as a "green" feature, but I do have to agree that my own bottle would have been nice. Overall though I was happy with our stay here and would recommend it especially to business travelers or couples as it is definitely geared more toward them than families.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
GabeGarn, General Manager at Home2 Suites By Hilton, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Thank you for staying with us with your family. I am happy to hear your kids slept well on our sofa sleepers. I have even had adults that slept on them tell me it felt like a regular bed. I agree with you we have a great location with so many shopping and eating options. Thank you for commenting on the friendly staff that means so much to us. I hope the next time your travels take you to Layton we get the honor of having you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Apopka, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

My family stayed four nights at this location in seven days. One night, arrived extremely late (1:00am) Beds were very comfortable. Staff was great. Loved the touch screen computers at the business center. Never got the chance to check out the pool and exercise room. My sons said it was great. More than they expected. Looking for more of this type of hotel from Hilton.

Room Tip: Great place to stay in Layton, Utah
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
GabeGarn, General Manager at Home2 Suites By Hilton, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a great review. We loved having you and your family. I also enjoy the comfort of our beds. It breaks my heart to have to go home to my own bed. I am happy to report you will be watching this concept expand and spread we have a ton in the pipeline. Thank you again for your kind words about the hotel and staff and we hope you come back real soon.
Seminole, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Family of five planned on staying only one night, but we stayed two because we liked it so much. I agree with previous guests that the beds are supercomfortable. Also: the interior is trendy and functional, the kitchenette area is very useful and I found the largescreen computers in the lobby (with free printouts for guests!) very helpful.

Breakfast was acceptable, and actually really good if you consider that we only paid 7,500 Hilton Honors points per night to stay there.

Regarding the two people who complained posts who complained about not getting Hilton points or enough housekeeping: their gripes should properly be brought up with their own companies who negotiated those deals. To give this property a bad rating a bad rating on Tripadvisor based on what thei own company negotiated is ridiculous.

The night clerk Luis offered to open breakfast early for another guest who was checking out early, and also for me (I was up early). Thoughtfulness like that counts.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
GabeGarn, General Manager at Home2 Suites By Hilton, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Thank you so much for staying with us and for giving such a great review. I love it when people mention the staff by name when I told Luis he was thrilled. I am glad your family had such a great time and I really hope you come back soon. I keep hearing how people love the beds because the sheets are so soft and comfortable. Thank you again we can't wait to have you come back.
Boise
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Absolutely miserable stay. The six foot high sign in the lobby that says satisfaction guaranteed means nothing to them. Apparently this is just a decoration and they will not honor their own promise. When you have issues during your stay don't expect them to do anything about it.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us I am sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. I would love the chance to speak to you further about what happened so we can get it resolved before your next visit to Layton. Please contact me at the hotel the number is 801-820-9222 and ask for Gabe. I look forward to speaking with you further.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

I stayed here one night recently. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was pretty cool. Imagine if IKEA made a hotel, this would be it. Bed was VERY comfortable. Work space for business was convenient with roll out desk. My room had kitchen w fridge, freezer, etc. Only thing I didn't like was the shower has shampoo and body wash in bulk containers with dispensers. It was like a gym shower. I would prefer my own bottle!

Location is great if you're in the Layton area. Near mall and walking distance to a great number of restaraunts.

Room Tip: Always ask for a top floor room!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
GabeGarn, General Manager at Home2 Suites By Hilton, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a great review. I am glad you got to know our friendly staff, that is one name we never mind being called. We keep hearing how people love the bed and I am glad you felt the same way. Thank you again and we hope you come back real soon.
Rigby, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

I stayed one night at the Home2 Suites to try out the new brand, and because I booked the room for only 7500 Hilton points per night.

Outside there is a "pre-lobby" of sorts with seating and a gas firepit to encourage outdoor gathering, as well as a short guest walking path around a water feature and the parking area. The exercise room is top-notch, with quality equipment and individual TVs for the treadmills, etc. The room is shared with 2 washers and 2 dryers for guest laundry. Breakfast area is quite small, seating exactly 18 elbow-to-elbow along one long eating bar. If the hotel was full I doubt there would be space, but there are additional seating and tables available in the adjacent lobby (called the "oasis"). The breakfast offerings are on par with a Springhill Suites or Fairfield Inn, with cereal, instant oatmeal, hard-boiled eggs, bread for toast, and a pre-packaged (frozen) toast/egg creation unique to Home2 Suites. I tried one, but after sending it through the toaster oven conveyor, the edges were burned and the center was still cold & soggy. There are LOTS of various toppings available for your cereal and toast.

As you go to your room you will use RFID door keys, not magnetic (less chance of your room key not working). In each suite the entry to the room is also the kitchen area, which includes a full-size fridge, sink, large microwave, all utensils & dishes, and a dishwasher, but not much storage. Across from the kitchen wall is the bathroom, with a shower (no tub). The shampoo and body wash is Neutrogena brand, and provided via dispensers on the shower wall. There is a bar of Neutrogena soap at the sink. I always bring my own soap and shampoo, so this made no difference to me either way. The bathroom is functional and works, but is a little on the small side. The toilet is a water-saving model with European-style full- & half-flush buttons on top of the tank. My room had a door to connect to the adjacent room, for families or groups that want to connect their rooms. The HDTV is large, and the channel lineup includes a few HD channels such as the national networks. I didn't try the various TV connection options, but you can connect your laptop, DVD player, digital camera, etc if you have the right cables. My room had a comfortable king bed and a sofa bed also, which can be partially separated by a curtain if desired.

The employees I met were friendly and helpful. Free internet access is included. Although I didn't use it, the pool is saline, not chlorine, which apparently is better for your skin. If you're looking for somewhere to eat lunch or dinner, you have five excellent choices adjacent to the hotel: Bandidos Grill (Mexican), Holy Smoke BBQ, a family-friendly Irish pub, Corbins Grille (fine dining), and Roosters Brewing Company. Dozens of additional restaurants, including the Layton Hills Mall, are within a couple of minutes. I would be comfortable bringing my family also. The hotel is all about efficiency and conservation with budget-minded and eco-minded products and a minimalist approach in the hotel design. The design is stylish and smart, as expected for a new hotel. My only hesitation is the tromp-tromp-tromp heard whenever someone walks around in adjacent rooms. The facility has an almost prefabricated feel to it, like it wouldn't stand up to a strong gust of wind, and I could hear every footstep across the floor in the rooms adjacent and especially above mine. Despite this, I will definitely stay here again, as it includes just about everything I look for in a hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
GabeGarn, General Manager at Home2 Suites By Hilton, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
Thank you for a great review. You did a great job covering everything in our hotel. I appreciate your insights and the kind things you said about us. We can't wait to have you back.
Bend, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

Lobby common area is a great idea and I think will be very successful. Could maybe use a little more of the comfy dining as opposed to the stare at each other bar. But all in all...I liked it. The little prepared egg dish that you run through the toaster oven was about 1 star...but given a better chef/food planner...the idea could be awesome. I doctored mine with leftover chicken from the night before (at Roosters restaurant which was also a great experience, across the street) and some salsa/picante packet of some sort they had. Made it more bearable. Saw others take one bite, toss it, and head out the door to start their day (probably hitting up McDonalds).

The first big problem is the stupid illuminated light switches in the rooms. They have about a dozen blue-white glowing LEDs around the face plate that cannot be turned off. If you like to sleep in darkness, so sorry. In one room, we taped a towel over the switch, in the other I fashioned a piece of heavy paper to tuck in around the edges and then folded it so it would help block the light. Although they were just approaching their one month anniversary, when I called to ask about being able to turn off the illumination, I got the feeling I wasn't the first to ask. She did offer us her tape.

The 2nd big problem is the loud slamming doors. No mystery who on your floor is the earliest riser...you will hear when they leave their room. (ours was 5:55AM) They may be able to take care of a lot of this with little rubber bumpers or adjusting the door closure rates. Also within the rooms, if you have adjoining rooms or if you use the flipper thingy to hold your door open (instead of the dead bolt) while you make a quick run to the lobby...they bang around clumsily. Some heavy duty rubber could/should have been engineered into these clever little devices. So two of the biggest things that many consider sacred in their accomodations: light control and noise control...fail miserably.

My 3rd gripe is their choice to go with the Neutrogena products for shampoo and body wash. Don't get me wrong I love the efficiency of the sleek wave dispensers and not a bunch of wasteful little bottles. What I hate is the choice of the stinky Neutrogena Rainbath body wash product. I think the shampoo may actually have been OK, but with no conditioner, I skipped it altogether. My teenage son didn't mind it too much, but he thinks Axe Body products are good too...you get the point. Give me something mellow or better yet, unscented. The whole bathroom stunk after my son finished showering.

I still give the property a 4 star rating and 5 in most areas...as I really liked it and will probably go back (my wife...maybe not. She likes her peace and quiet and darkness.) Hopefully they can address these few issues and make the stay really amazing.

The sheets are soft as can be...amazing! I'm going to try and find what they are and get them for home. The hypo-allergenic Touch of Down pillows were great and the cushy bolster makes sitting in bed a comfortable option to the couch for TV viewing. The LCD TV rocks...with easy hookups to attach to a laptop or iPhone for movies or just as a monitor. The desk is OK but the chair was a compromise. Give me an affordable sleek task chair like the Haworth Zody...better looking and would fit the hip Home2 brand better. The iHome ia100 clock radio is great...streaming Bluetooth audio was a piece of cake. And the speakers fill the room with great tunes. Can you say, "party"? WiFi signal was strong and fast (a little hiccup with the joining...you choose "hhonors" but then it fires up your browser to authenticate/TOS agreement, and then you wind up on the "ATT Wireless" connection). Pull out couches rocked!! Kids each got their own comfy bed (just be sure to request a warmer blanket). The kitchenette was awesome and even has a dishwasher for extended stay folks. Enough glassware to have friends over for a drink, etc.

Room Tip: Adjoining rooms are great for family stays.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for bringing your family to our wonderful new hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed our soft micro-fiber sheets. I agree the LCD TV does rock. I'm glad you were able to use our media hub to hook up your lap top and other devices to our TV. I'm glad your kids experienced our sofa sleepers, they really are the best sofa sleepers I have seen at a hotel. The thick pillow top mattress makes it very easy to sleep on. Thank you again. We can't wait to see your family back soon!

Been to Home2 Suites By Hilton? Share your experiences!