“Cozy hotel w/ friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Motel   |   236 North 300 West (US 89), Kanab, UT 84741   |
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Kanab
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Cozy hotel w/ friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2014

Would agree with some reviews that rooms are on the small side, but if you are in this area odds are that you won't spend all that much time indoors. The hotel had character and the owners were welcoming.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Tacoma, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a couple of nights while finishing up a vacation throughout Utah. We were warmly greeted by a very friendly staff person, got our key and headed to our room. We were shocked to see how small our "cozy queen" room was. There was about 18-24 inches on both sides of the bed and maybe three feet at the foot. There was no where to even put the suitcases. The closet was a rack on the wall. TV was mounted near the ceiling and was about 20". The bathroom was also super small. I'm 5'7" and could reach two of the walls with my arms outstretched and the other two I wasn't able to outstretch them at all. Breakfast was provided at the Inn across the street and was tasty.

After the first night my husband and I decided not to stay there any longer and asked for a refund. It was refused. Sensing our dissatisfaction the clerk offered us a king room for the night with a small increase in the charge. This room was quite adequate although bathroom was still very small (hard to stand in there and close the door because things were so tight). It allowed us to move around without bumping into each other. If this had been our original room the rating would have been higher.

The "cozy queen" room would of passed for a single person but definitely not for a couple and two suitcases along with other gear. I'll be checking out another hotel on my next visit to Kanab.

Room Tip: Cozy Queen should only be for one person.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Matt W, Owner at Canyons Lodge - A Canyons Collection Property, responded to this review, November 19, 2014
Thanks for your review.

You are right about the size of the 'Cozy' and 'Petit" sized rooms and this provides us a great opportunity to let others know about the 6 rooms we have like this.

From our website: You will feel snug as bug in this petite size, yet plush room. Your own microwave and refrigerator as well as complimentary Wi-Fi and DirectTV and en-suite bathroom with stand-up shower. Plush bedding and spa-quality amenities also provide a wonderful and memorable experience. This is the smallest room option at the Canyons Lodge and is best for single travelers and is not recommended for couples on long stays, although we see younger couples who seem fine with this.

We appreciate feedback about the items we can improve on such as service and cleanliness, so it is disappointing that even though we clearly state that the room is small and recommended for single travelers, you neglected to mention and rate us on all the positives of your stay and how we accommodated your request for a bigger room even when we where nearly sold out.

We do all we can to accommodate our guests needs and wants to the best of our ability and apologize we did not meet you expectations.
Fredericksburg, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

I have to start off this review by praising the front desk lady who checked us in - her name is Christina and she is a breath of fresh air and made us feel extremely welcomed - she is an asset to this place!!!

Our room was clean and we loved the decor - the beds were super comfortable and we had a great night sleep (we stayed here one night on our way back to Vegas from Moab - we slept in Kanab as a half way point). The grounds are beautiful and I love the fire pit - really cute place.

We most definitely recommend Canyons Lodge!!!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2014

We had just stayed at the wonderful Best Western in Grand Canyon and King's Ransom in Sedona for a wedding at a bed and breakfast before we headed back home to Sandy Ut., so we were spoiled. We will be traveling often to visit our family in Arizona and staying in Kanab Canyons Lodge is a never ever again place. I finally got out of my funk when I started laughing rehearsing this review in a way that had my husband laughing along. I have forgotten how I put it then and meant to be far more entertaining. So laugh, but if you can, stay someplace else if you are use to a real 4 star.

They have done some remodeling to an obviously very old motel built for cowboys. However being part of the " Canyons Collection" which owns the Victorian Inn, they should know better and come way down on the price if they are not going to update the few things I will mention. Plus this needs to get out of the # 1 place to stay in Kanab. NOT even a 5 or....
The photos are not what you get. It was not a really busy time for an October 26th Sunday night at $129. We now do not understand the high price from Expedia whom we have up to now been very pleased, (except that it was next to the cool pool...as in 55*).

Our first impression on pulling up, was that it was not as bad as others said. It was a rustic 2 story log cabin motel, rather charming. So we were hopeful. But entering our "deluxe King" #12 on a chilly night, it was disappointing because the bedspread was black and brown, next to the newly painted logs on the walls. A fresh colored patchwork quilt in reds etc. would have worked wonders for the room. The lights were not on and could not be turned on higher than 25 Watt so it seemed very dreary. Sharp black and white painted pony print side chairs and accessories were cute. Bathtub AND very tiny potty are in a separate room from the sink that you can spread your arms to touch the wall to door. When not knowing where to stand outside of in the tub to close the door, we didn't except to shower. My husband said the shower was like pins and needles no matter how he adjusted it, so I did a sponge bath. I do not use public tubs unless I have the energy to clean it first. The toilet paper was so rough and thin, that we suggest bringing your own. Little counter space to put our toiletries with the microwave, refrigerator and closet all there....it got congested if we both wanted to get something in the sink area. The bed was good but we were short sheeted to our chests!...one does not expect that and a pain to fix when you are sleepy. Dark brown sheets are creepy not seeing spots or if clean and wished I had brought my own that I throw on top of bedspread while watching TV, after seeing a report that most are very soiled. The place did seem clean however.

When we settled in, the TV remote did not work!, The manager brought us other used batteries, the only ones he had. They did not work either. So we had to get up to change the sound or channel on the TV . In the morning I made coffee putting in 2 cups of water, but chose one cup with the toggle switch on top. There is no decanter so you put the paper cup under. Big mistake. It did not make just one, but over spilled all over the counter and my phone.

Breakfast was very nice at the Victorian next door. We looked at their 4 posted king bed with fireplace and HUGE bathroom. The whole building is new and very nice. The room was quoted at $95 for this time of year. OH MY GOSH!
I was sick that we chose #1 on TripAdvisor as we usually do instead of #3 Victorian. Something is wacky on this. Many others in town HAD to be better than the Canyons Lodge.
There was a nice looking couple our age sitting by the fire right out our door, but it was just too cold, so we missed that treat to meet them and find out how their room was.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Matt W, Owner at Canyons Lodge - A Canyons Collection Property, responded to this review, November 6, 2014
Hi Kathryn,

I must say, I got quite a good laugh as well after reading your review! I see your one and only other review is for McDonalds - I'm sure many people consult TripAdvisor before heading there.

I also appreciate your keen suggestions for a red patchwork quilts for the beds, I am very tempted to run right out and change the design of all the rooms to accommodate your 1990's design aesthetic.

It is also mind boggling to me the number of people, like yourself, that once given the opportunity to go online and right reviews are also experts at running a business they know nothing about. If you had an understanding of how TripAdvisor works, our business and were an honest person, you would realize that the hotel was sold out the night you stayed and the $129 rate your paid was far below the $159 (we don't even have a $95 rate) that was the evening rate at the Victorian Inn.

I am sure you have heard the phrase "glass half-full or half-empty?" My perspective is "half-full"...you?

Matt
Cedaredge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

I stayed at the Canyon Lodge for 4 days while volunteering at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. This was a lovely, quiet hotel on the North side of town (which is closest to BF). I checked in on Friday and out on Monday. Ron at the office was VERY friendly, accomodating, and always helpful with any questions/concerns that I had.
I had a Queen room, which was small, but for one person or a couple the space was fine. The hotel was clean and the bed comfortable.
There is a great outdoor area along the rooms which include a pool area, a fire pit area, and nice loungers and seating groups on the lawn for relaxing after a long day!
The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because of the age of the hotel which was most obvious in the bathroom. But the hotel has been tastefully renovated and has a rustic theme about it, which I found to be quite charming.
BTW, there are 3 other "sister" properties to this one in town all locally owned, and they are as unique as the Canyon Lodge in each their own way. All located within blocks of each other on the north side of Kanab. After driving through town and checking out where other hotels are, I would much prefer this area as it seems quieter.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Kansas City, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

We stayed here while volunteering at Best Friends. We got a Best Friends discount, but I thought the place was a little pricey. The room was clean, but the bathroom was very small. The owner was very accommodating & friendly. There was even a Happy Hour with appetizers & entertainment around the fire pit one night. Breakfast was included across the street at Victorian Inn. I would stay here again.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2014

Our booking somehow got messed up through eBookers, however the hotel manager handled it really well and upgraded us to a different room. Me and my husband stayed here pretty last minute while passing through Kanab, but the hotel turned out to be great value for money. It's got a beautiful little garden, free bikes and a cozy patio area. The cabins are kept super clean with cute decor. Good choice of breakfast served at their sister Victorian hotel too. My only negative would be that the air con unit is really loud and clunky. Nevertheless, one of the best hotels I've stayed at.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Canyons Lodge - A Canyons Collection Property? Share your experiences!