“Almost Ludicrous” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Unusual offering in Kanab, Utah. Offering Italian and Greek cuisine. Owner is American but cooked in Europe. Open for about 6 months now to good reviews.
Dallas, Texas
“Almost Ludicrous”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I will start off by saying that I had the worst waiter I have ever had anywhere in my entire life at the Mediterranean Table. I don't know what was wrong with the guy, but he acted like he had the heebee jeebies. I don't want to embarrass him or the owners, but he really needs to drop the third rate Bob Fosse act and ditch the hat. Also, he started out by apologizing for the crummy service he was about to give us by proclaiming that he was only the lunch guy. As I didn't notice there was a different menu for lunch and as the place only has 10 tables, I didn't understand what the problem was, but apparently there was one.

There were 5 of us in our party. 2 of us ordered the same thing. We were only served 4 meals. We had to ask for water 3 times. On the fourth try, we got 4 waters. One of our party spilled oil and vinegar on the floor. I made a bet the waiter would step in it. He did. And tracked oily footprints throughout the restaurant. When we pointed this out to him, he told us there were no worries as he'd clean it up later. I kid you not, Alan Aykcbourn could not have come up with a more absurd evening. One of my dinner companions is a playwright, and I'm pretty sure he's working on a first draft even as I write this. The experience got to the point where it just became funny.

Then there was the food. I could have forgiven the rotten service if the food had been better. It's not that it was bad, it was just bland. I had the souvlaki, eventually, and it was dry. The rice was only lukewarm. The problem with the menu is that while I know the Mediterranean extends from the south of France to Greece, the restaurant is decorated in Greek cafe style, leading me, a dumb tourist, to think that there will be a large selection of Greek entrees. Not so. Just one. Souvlaki. I don't really think of spaghetti and meatballs or a hamburger as being particularly Mediterranean. And the Provencal quote in the menu is not backed up by any Provencal food. Besides, the last time I checked, Marseilles is the only Provencal city on the Mediterranean.

Then there was the music. Oy. The decor of the place is pretty good, bright and colorful with lots of photographs of Greek islands and the like. However, a Dean Martin medley and Kenny Rogers greatest hits do not make me think of Santorini. The owner really needs to invest in a couple of CDs of Greek music. Or at least something European.

Now that I've trashed the service, the food, and the ambiance, I have to say that the owner/chef did the right thing. She comped us for one meal, gave us baklava at no charge, and dropped the corkage fee on the wine we brought in. So, kudos to her for trying to salvage a bad customer service experience.

I will return to the Mediterranean Table (if it's still there when I next go to Kanab), if only out of a perverse curiosity to see if there is any improvement. I mean, what are the odds that it will be this bad again? Besides, I honestly want this place to make it. I support local businesses, and I don't want to see one fail. However..., the owners need to take what works (the decor) and match it up with the menu and the ambiance. Oh, and either train the waiter they have (even if he is the lunch guy) or get a a new one. Even Manuel from Fawlty Towers would be an improvement.

I wish them luck.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

Clermont, Florida
“Virus of Writing a Minimum 18% Service Charge on Restaurant Bills in Kanab?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

As frequent visitors in Kanab for over three years, tonight it happened to us for the third time: A hefty 18% charge was automatically added to the check for me and my wife at the "Mediterranean Table" without clear notice in the menu (The other two incidents occurred in currently top rated restaurants, see one of my reviews in April). Based on our experience, and implied also in a review dated July 28, 2012 by another reviewer on this restaurant, this seems to happen to foreign tourists.

Discussing our check with the owner of the restaurant we were surprised to hear her explanation that she was not able to have the computer company change the line printed by the computer.

Besides that, and before I forget, we greatly appreciated the food …

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton, Canada
“A Hidden Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We were travelling from Sedona, around the north rim to Las Vegas & made an unplanned stop in Kanab, Utah. It was soon obvious that most bus tours and tourists were heading for the usual stops but even in Kanab these places were crowded so we wandered along the main street and were surprised and later delighted to find The Mediterranean Table. Elizabeth Berkhoudt owns, operates, cooks, serves and visits, in her own establishment. We learned about her local sources for ingredients/meats and her background as an internationally-trained chef. Who'd a thought it! We had a wonderful lunch of fresh salads, burgers, & sandwiches many with a Mediterranean twist. She prepares many of her own preserves and desserts... yum. The menu was reasonably priced. This little restaurant deserves your consideration. You can check it out at www.themediterraneantable.com.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
“best food in kanab”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

after 2 nights of less than enjoyable foods in one of the 4 restaurants open we finally had a wonderful, delicious meal. enjoyed the special of the day, lasagna with meat and my husband, who is a veteran, was treated to a free meal of chicken cacciatore both exceptional. the mediterranean table is a small but warm, cozy, friendly place to dine. it has a varied menu of greek and italian dishes. the gentleman who was the chef for the evening was friendly and we enjoyed a wonderful conversation with him until business became busy. his creations were supurb. the waitress was friendly and quick with our order. this restaurant is a gem in the town of kanab. it is an excellent value with prices comparable to other restaurants in town but above quality compared to the rest. make it a point to go.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ridgefield, Connecticut
“Unusual take out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The food here was so good that we asked the owner, Liz to prepare a trail mix/picnic basket to take along with us on the G2G Ultra Race. Packed up hard cheeses, smoked meats, olives, artichokes, amazing dilled pickles and other goodies that provided us with a feast for three days on the trail.

Oh, and the restaurant prepared a loin of pork stuffed with squash, potato dumplings and a sour gravy that was to die for. By far the best eating experience while in Kanab. The cost was exceptional low for a New Yorker. I can not wait to eat here again in 2013.

• Visited October 2012