“Great tour to White Pockets” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 17 Activities in Kanab
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Based in Kanab, UT, the hub of the Grand Circle, Dreamland Safari Tours delivers unique Scenic Off-Road Adventure Tours with plenty of Photography stops and short hikes mixed in. From the well known sights to those "secret" places only the locals know about, our adventures highlight the best of this wild, vivid landscape. Already designed for everyday people, our forays on the backroads of Southern Utah and Northern Arizona can be further customized to fit your time frame, interests, and abilities. Our seasoned, accredited, medically trained, naturalist tour guides are simply the best in the business. Loaded heavy duty 4x4 Suburbans carry up to 13 passengers in air conditioned comfort. Whether you are interested in touring for 2 hours or 2 weeks, backyard or backcountry, we are your outdoor connection. Let us do all the work.....After all...it's YOUR vacation!
Scottsdale AZ
10 attraction reviews
“Great tour to White Pockets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We went on a tour with Brett from Dreamland Safari tours and had a great time. I had considered doing it on our own with our Xterra 4 wheel drive but were glad we didn't try. The roads, which were dry, were often deep sand and looked impassable but Brett had no problems getting through. I was mainly interested in seeing the White Pockets but Brett suggested adding a few other places along the way and filled the day with great scenery. He was very knowledgeable about the area and the geology which he shared with us. Great day and we may do something else from Dreamland on our next trip to Northern AZ.

Visited January 2014

Indianapolis, Indiana
“You need this guy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I organized a photo safari for some friends of White Pocket and Coyote Buttes: areas I had read required a guide to get you in safely. Well folks, it's true. I don't think you would want to try reaching these areas in your Las Vegas rental SUV. We passed about 119 places where people had got their vehicles stuck in the deep sand. You're in the middle of nowhere, there's no AAA, no cell phone service, no water, Getting stuck here could not only be expensive, it could be dangerous. Will and Kurt at Dreamland Safaris not only got us to our locations without a hitch, they took care of everything. They set up camp, cooked pretty damned good meals, and gave us an introductory tour of the areas. Even took us out in the darkness to a place where we wanted to do some night sky / light painting photography. In short, they made our trip really great. I'll use them again. It would be tough to do these areas on your own. Give Will a call-- he's open to creating an itinerary that focuses on what you want.

Visited November 2013
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Excellent trips with Dreamland Safari Tours!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

My wife and I first booked on the Slot Canyon Photography tour. We visited three slot canyons and had plenty of time to take photos which was great. And we had the canyons all to ourselves!
The next day we were booked on the Yellow Hoodoos tour, but unfortunately the approach road had been washed away by recent rain. Will gave us a few alternatives and we opted to explore the scenery along the Old Paria Road. We had a great time scrambling around the Rock-Rim Hoodoos followed by some short hikes to other amazing rock formations. Will was very informative and it was a great day out. Well recommended!

Visited August 2013
Campobello, South Carolina
“Ultimate kanab tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

we did the ultimate kanab tour in July 2013. It was a great experience. Will tailored the day for our needs and interests. He was very informative about the area. He was even able to tell me how to change the settings on my camera to get the best pictures in the slot canyon. Best experience our entire trip. We also did Bryce, Zion and the Grand Canyon.

Visited July 2013
DC
6 attraction reviews
“A letdown”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

While googling about touring some remote areas near Kanab, I came to know that there are some outfits proving 4WD tours of White Pocket, Coyote Buttes and other areas. Dreamland, Paria Outpost and Circle Tours were the names that showed up. I zeroed in on Dreamland. Their website looked good. I ended up buying the Coyote Buttes South + White Pocket combo tour. They require advance payment.

I had settled for a couple of nights in St George to tour Zion National Park. I had a tour booked for Nov 29. The plan was to leave St George early in the morning and reach Kanab before the appointed time of 9:30am. A good 75 min drive. Unfortunately, my rental car developed a slow air leak in one of the tires on Thanksgiving day. I called Dreamland during the evening and left a message. Also I sent an email. Meanwhile I called Hertz and they advised me to get a replacement car from a location about 15 miles from my hotel. However, that place opened only at 8:30am. Next day when I was driving to this Hertz location, I got a call from Dreamland guy and he asked me to come in time or lose my $200 deposit. I could not reach Kanab before 10:15am. The Dreamland guy said something which was tantamount to saying that he cannot get late for 1 person when 3 others are waiting. His tone just put me off. I wondered what he would say if the party of 3 had developed a car trouble and I was there on time!

In retrospect, I should not have paid the full amount in advance. A couple of days later, I ended up going with Paria Outpost & Outfitters who take cash only.

Visited November 2013
dreamlandsafari, Owner at Dreamland Safari Tours, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Some people take no responsibility for their actions or choices, deciding instead to damage other people's businesses when their bad decisions create bad results. This guy was a single seeking a tour. We do not do tours for one person as it is a losing proposition for us. But we do go out of our way to help singles get on another existing tour. After multiple emails and logistics sorting we were able to get him on a tour with 4 OTHER GUESTS who had booked in earlier. We also went as a courtesy to the lottery for the permits to this area. Without this courtesy he would have had to come to Kanab himself the day before or would not have been able to join the tour at all. Frankly he should have stayed in Kanab to minimize the chance of complications. He also admitted to driving on dirt roads with a rental with cheap tires, a recipe for puncturing tires. He sent us an email the night before the tour at 9pm after business hours and then called the next morning before business hours. We couldn't have done anything about it anyway, but obviously we also had almost no notice and it was within our 24 hour no-show period.

When we finally got in touch I was trying any way possible to solve this problem. I suggested that if it was a slow leak then to simply fill it with air and drive the 1 hour to Kanab, and that he could drop it at the local tire shop and they could patch it for $15 while he was on tour. He refused saying that the rental car company scared him about driving on the tire. So then I suggested he change the tire and drive on the spare and then when he got here we could have the original tire repaired and swapped. He refused I guess because he did not want to or did not know how to change a tire, instead insisting that he had to return the car to Hertz, whose office didn't open until 8:30. If he was lucky he would have had another car by 9:30 and would not have arrived in Kanab until at least 10:45, probably more like 11 or 11:15. So his suggestion was that I make all 4 other people wait for nearly two hours on the tarmac for this one person in a situation purely of his own creation. In addition one of the other guests was being picked up at House Rock Valley Road and Hwy 89 out of town where there is no cell reception. I certainly wasn't going to make this person wait for two hours in the middle of nowhere with no call. At this point there was no guarantee I could reach the other parties in time. It was way too late to start changing all the logistics. All my trucks were out this day, but even if they hadn't been we don't lose money to do tours for 1. Also there was no other tour of this type (or any other as it is our off season) for a week to come so I couldn't simply put him on a later tour. His only option was to get here on time or eat the cost of the tour.

Overall our cancellation and reschedule policy is very generous. It says that if we are able to reschedule or shift people to later tours up to the last minute we will for no cost, but if that is not possible then the cancellation policy applies. In this case with less than 24hrs notice, it was considered a no refund no-show. We do everything we can to help people when things go wrong. We are not here to take peoples money, but conversely we are also not here to insure other peoples bad decision making to the detriment of our business and our other guests. This is exactly why we DO NOT take reservations without deposit, so people like this can't shift the risks of happenstance or their own bad decision making onto us and waste our time and money. If he had only put down a 50% deposit I would dug up his credit card info and charged him the other half. We run a business not babysitting service. I bet had we given his money back he would still have written this review. I love my customers and I love what I do, but people like this should just stay at home where they will be with people who will put up with this nonsense. Give us in the tourism industry a break. Logistics are not infinite and apparently logic is not as well.