“Entertaining Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun-n-Sand Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kanab
Sun-n-Sand Motel
347 South 100 E, Kanab, UT 84741   |
Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Kanab
“Entertaining Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

This was one of my most entertaining stay here in the states!
Wayne is one of the most friendliest guys I can imagine!
Breakfast is perfect and rooms are clean!
Next time I will visit Utah I will stay again at this place!

• Stayed September 2012

108 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Hoffman Estates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

My wife and I returned to Kanab to spend some time hiking in Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument. As with our previous trips, we used the Sun-n-Sands as our base. The motel still old and dated but the parking lot had been recently (partially) paved. The rooms are clean and the customer service from managers Wayne and Terri is second to none. As with our previous stays we enjoyed breakfast in the lobby, conversing with Wayne and travelers from many different countries. We are planning another hiking trip to the National Monument, and will definitely be staying at the Sun-n-Sands.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

We stopped at the sun and sand by chance and if was the most memorable motel we've stayed. We travelled all around us and this was definitely our best stop. Wayne may looks a bit weird at the beginning but he's great and nice!! To try

• Stayed August 2012
naperville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

After reading all the reviews my husband and I had to try this motel. It is old and outdated, but clean, comfortable, and quiet. We were in room 21 and the king size bed was very comfortable. The TV worked better and had more channels than some of the more expensive hotels that we stayed at. The air conditioner was loud and looked old and ugly, but cooled the room nicely. The shower worked better than a hotel we stayed at in Santa Barbara that cost over $160/night.

Wayne was friendly and helpful and seemed to really want to make our stay nice. He checked on us shortly after we entered our room. When checking in he offered us popcorn and coffee or hot chocolate. Some other reviews indicated that the breakfast food was left out. When we got there early afternoon the food was out, BUT it was all wrapped in its original packaging. It seemed that it was left on the table in case a guest wanted something to eat. Wayne did tell us that we were welcome to eat anything we wanted. The breakfast the next morning had every type of bread that you would want for toast, fresh donuts that were purchased at the grocery store, but very good, fresh fruit and coffee and water. Several other guest were in the room and we had a nice conversation about place we visited. It was fun talking to the other guest and getting their views on the common places that we visited. This was the only hotel that we stayed at where the guests wanted to have conversations with each other.

We would go back to this motel if for nothing else, but for the hospitality and good price. This motel is not for everyone, but if you want to experience a local/independently owned place this might be a place to try. Just don't expect a chain hotel experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

First off, some perspective, so you'll better understand where I'm coming from. I'm an American that has lived in Germany for a long time now. I spend at least one weekend every month in London (I'm addicted to live theatre!) I usually travel to at least five new countries every year, and I take traveling VERY seriously! I have stayed in a 7-star hotel that cost $5000 per room per night, and I've slept in Bedouin tents in the Sahara that included no running water, no plumbing, no A/C, but all kinds of memories.

I love the southwestern US, and those of you that feel the same also know that Kanab is one of the places that are great as "hubs" for visiting all the sights in this part of the world.

I've stayed in Kanab many times, and visited quite a few of the lodging options. This month I was in the US again, spending time on the "Trail of the Ancients", and needed to spend a night in Kanab. Some traveling friends suggest the Sun-n-Sands, and after reading the TripAdvisor reviews, I thought it was interesting enough to warrant a visit.

It is pretty much what it says it is: an old highway motel like you'd have seen 50 or 60 years ago. This place had character in spades! Starting with Wayne at the reception desk, I could tell that this was not a typical Motel 6. For one thing, it was a LOT cheaper than anyplace else in Kanab. For another thing, Wayne is a TOTAL character! If it hadn't been so late when we arrived, I'd have enjoyed sitting around and jawing with him for awhile. I'm pretty sure he would have some great stories!

From what I could gather from a quick visual inspection of the property, the owners are in the process of renovationg and rebuilding the place. That might explain some of the "dirty" comments in other reviews. "Dusty" would be more accurate.

Some of the other comments I've read on TA seemed to indicate that there are people out there that aren't happy unless everything is perfect. I always find it funny that people think that a hotel should be just like their house, only better and cheaper.

Well, perfect is what you won't get here. But you WILL get a clean room (we had two rooms, and nary a complaint at all), you WILL get a friendly welcome, you WILL get a 24-hour pot of hot coffee in the reception area, you WILL get a decent breakfast in the morning (included), and you WILL get a location in Kanab that, quite frankly, can't be beat. Everything you'd need is within easy walking distance. The cheapest gas station is right down the street.

We had a single room and a double room. Both were nice and roomy, with plenty of space for a lot of luggage. The bathrooms were more than adequate, in terms of size. For those that need such things, the TV worked well, with a good enough selection of channels to keep most happy.

To those of you that wrote negative reviews of this motel, all I can say is that you should never leave the US. Traveling overseas would NOT be for you. I've stayed in hotels in London, for example, that cost two and three times as much as the Sun-n-Sands, and would HORRIFY you negative people! So stick to Disney World and staying with your relatives when you travel.

If you're looking for a great deal, and a cheap place to sleep, stay here. If you need a hotel to be the DESTINATION of your travels (satellite TV, hot tub, heated pool, heated towel racks, imported soaps and Egyptian cotton towels), don't bother coming to this part of the world. I'd recommend the Ritz in London, or perhaps the Burj-al-Arab in Dubai. I'm sure they'd come closer to your unrealistic expectations! Or maybe not.

After all, the Sun-n-Sands only cost me $40 for a night's sleep. I got exactly what I paid for, and would gladly stay there again on a future visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
small town, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

After finishing all the reviews on motels and restaurants on Tripadvisor that we visited on our 2 week vacation, I had to save this one for last. This is so because I find it difficult to rate because I have such mixed emotions. First of all, I want to try and write an honest opinion that will help others make their own decision. So I will try and do my best. Let's start with the rooms. The rooms are clean enough but in very desperate need of updating and remodeling. Ours was almost depressing. I assume this is one reason the rate is cheap. Had I seen the room in advance, I would have paid more elsewhere and not have stayed here. The location is great and within walking distance of places to eat and shop. We passed on the breakfast each day (we stayed 2) , but the coffee is good. Now the positive experience was the hospitality of Wayne. Like most everyone else, we thought this guy was a trip. His hospitality can't be beat. He tries 110 % to please and accomodate his guests. Full of energy and entertaining. Would I recommend to others? That is the hard part. It depends upon what kind of experience you are looking for. We were glad we had the experience we had meeting Wayne but probably if ever in Kanab again, would stay somewhere else and stop by and say "hi" to Wayne.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Southwest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

He was nice...but the rooms, VERY old and the bed frame was broken, it totally sunk in. Hair on the "clean" sheets, stains here and there, but no bed bugs! YAY! It was an adventure and we had fun while there, but I probably, well, I wont stay there again. I'm a little more particular about the comfort of my bed. It was inexpensive. On a different note, do not eat at the Mexican restaurant across the street, that was way worse than the broken bed at Sun-n-Sands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sun-n-Sand Motel? Share your experiences!