“In the middle of a Remodel” 3 of 5 stars

Royal Inn Kanab
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   386 East 300 South, Kanab, UT 84741   |
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Kanab
Las Vegas
“In the middle of a Remodel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

The room was very small, but was very clean, and had just been remodeled. The shower and bath were absolutely beautiful...all new tile in the shower and on the counter top...the bed was comfortable and clean, the price was only $55 per night and we stayed two nights. The
breakfast was on a par with other places we have stayed, and overall I would say this
place is gonna be very nice when they finish all the remodeling. My only real complaint would have to be the noisy air conditioner on the wall at the foot of the bed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back section...very quiet from the road
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I cannot give the hotel itself a legitimate review because I did not end up staying here. What I can tell you is they had the worst customer service I have ever expereinced in my life. My bf and I were in the middle of our hiking trip and driving from Grand Canyon to Zion National Park. We needed a place to literally just crash and get up and drive some more so naturally I was looking for cheap. After reading a few reviews I thought $55/night isn't bad and the reviews did not seem horrid so I made a reservation online. My email came back as request failed so I called the Inn to see what the issue was. The first man who answered the phone had an accent so heavy that I could barely understand what he was saying (I'm not saying there is anying wrong with accents as a foreigner myself but as a customer service representative there should have been better communication), he told me he did not know what was wrong with the online reservations but he could book me a room over the phone for $75/night. I tried to explain that I booked online at $55/night but he could not understand me and we lost connection as we were in the middle of the mountains. Once I got back into a reception area I tried calling back and this time a woman who could not have been anymore rude answered the phone and I explained the situation, she said I could have the room for $85/night! When I tried to tell her I booked for $55 then last time I called I got $75 she said I could have the room for $85 again (I thought perhaps she did not hear what I said). When I tried to re-explain the whole situation I got hung up on.

Like I said, I could have had a pleasant stay here, had I actually stayed but I decided to cough out a few extra dollars and stay at the Best Western - Red Hills which was a few minutes down the road (a million times better customer service and stay). The customer service alone has made me NEVER want to stay at a Royal Inn ever again in my lifetime especially this one in Kanab.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Tempe, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We were a bit late leaving Phoenix for our family vacation tour of canyon country. We stopped at Lake Powell for the night, but there were no vacancies. We didn't want to drive at night and miss all the scenery. We started looking ahead to Kenab, UT. Everything online was booked. I called a place that had 1 room left for $159 in a 2-star hotel. They only had a king bed, and they would not allow our dog. It was already 9:30pm.

As we rolled into town, I saw the sign for the Royal Inn lit up. They weren't on any list online, but we figured that was to our advantage. It was. It looks a little iffy on the outside, but for about $100 including tax, we got a nice room that allowed pets. After we pulled in, I could see that some of the disarray on the outside were remodelling materials. The room was very tiny and is a bit seasoned, but it was clean...clean enough to make me comfortable enough to walk around with my shoes off. My feet did not turn black, and the room was odorless. The linens were crisp and white with no surprises underneath. The beds were much softer than some of the more expensive hotels I've been in; we all found them to be quite comfortable, and the AC unit worked just fine. We all got a good night's sleep and woke up well-rested.

I cannot speak to the breakfast as we did not wake up in time, but the staff were very cordial and courteous. The lady at the desk even offered to have us look at the room first. There was free Wi-Fi, and lots if TV channels...including HD channels, even though the TV was SD (its the thought that counts, especially when the $150+ hotels only give you maybe 10 total). There was a mini fridge, which we used to refreeze water bottles for our cooler, and there were plenty of outlets well-placed around the room so everybody could have and reach their own.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay in a nice, clean room, in comfortable beds, and we would definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Tempe, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

$55/night sounded like a good deal for this place until I attempted to sleep there. The heating/cooling unit is right next to the bed, making it hard to regulate temperature in the room and remain fairly hydrated. The blankets were scratchy. But the worst part was the shower - it had mold growing inside. I will not stay here again unless I'm in a really big pinch.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Stayed 3 nights. Our room was clean and quiet. The "key" stopped working on our 3rd day and had to be re-programmed. The staff was helpful when asked. The laundry facilities room smelled bad as they store all kinds of stuff (chemicals etc.) in the same small room. Breakfast was very good with juices, coffee, pastries, muffins, cereals and even a waffle maker and syrup. Dead bolt on our door didn't function very well (never quite sure if it was secure or not) No refrigerator or microwave. Very disappointed that the WIFi did NOT work in our room, we were unable to connect.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
North-Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

We stayed here for one night after a day of hard trekking and this hotel gave us a good night of sleep! The room was very quiet, clean and comfy. The breakfast was good, with a lot of juice, good muffins, milk and cereals and you can do a Waffel too. We had a coffee machine in our room and it was very useful if you're so tired that you don't want to go out! The parking lot was good and near, as usual in location of this type.
If you want to try something unusual for dinner, go to the Excobar Mexican Restaurant ... you can go on foot!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
San Juan, null, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I know the phrase "you get what you paid" but this is not the case. I've stay in a lot cheap hotels but this one is the worst of them. We found hairs in our pillow. After asking for a clean one, we were told that they did't have more pillows. The bathroom: horrible, black mold everywhere.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Royal Inn Kanab? Share your experiences!