“DON'T STAY HERE!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Kanab
Melbourne, Florida, United States
“DON'T STAY HERE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I had a horrible, horrible experience at this hotel and very much urge ANYONE remotely considering staying here to NOT... here is why.

I was moving cross country and reserved and prepaid for the room via Hotels.com. I got delayed by one day at my departure city and called Hotels.com to change the reservation by a day. They said no problem and the change was completed. When I arrived, the man at the front desk said it had not been changed and that he was going to double charge me. I politely explained it had via Hotels.com and why. He said that was unacceptable and that he needed to hear from Hotels.com directly in order to verify that was accurate. I said ok and he checked me in. It was a little odd, but whatever, we all have our systems and I can respect that.

I will get to the condition of the room later.

I spoke with hotels.com and I was put on hold while they spoke with him directly. They reconnected me and said everything was sorted out. That is when the rude phone calls started. The man was very rude and unreasonable and kept calling the room again and again demanding I resolve this or he would charge me another night. I again patiently and politely explained hotels.com had just spoken with him on the phone. He said that was not good enough because it was costing him money. I called back hotels.com and explained that the man at the front desk was being unreasonable and I did not know what to do.

While I was on the phone with them a second time, his rude and aggressive calls to the room kept repeating. It takes forever to speak with anyone on hotels.com customer service and sadly its a call service not in the US so there was a repeat language barrier between the person trying to help me and myself. Finally the phone calls stopped and hotels.com indicated they had spoken with him again.

By this time, we had decided we were NOT staying there even if we paid for a whole night. No one deserves to be talked down to, treated disrespectfully and threatened. The man at the front desk called again. His tone had completely changed and he said that he had heard from hotels.com again and that he was still going to charge us another night. I said I no longer wished to speak on the phone and said I would like to speak in person.

I walked up to the front desk and indicated that I was not going to stay there for the night. His family was standing behind him and were visibly upset by all of this. I was even, calm, and polite with my tone. He said we had no choice and this was the only place in town we would be able to stay in. We said we would take our chances and left.

While I was on the phone, my sister called the Holiday Inn and they just had a cancellation. We grabbed up the booking immediately. It was great, clean, courteous staff, and an excellent night of sleep!

So, back to the room.
Gross. So gross. The horrible pictures here do not emphasize how gross it is.
The few minutes we were in the room, we started catching these wasp like bugs and letting them outside. The room was in terrible condition. Gross soiled mattress, nasty bathroom... I am sorry to anyone that wants to book this place and thinks this won't happen to them. Also, the rooms and entrance to the rooms has minimal security. No deadbolts or door locks.

On the plus side though, I kept checking my credit card via my phone to see if he was going to continue to be a jerk and charge me for another night. Fortunately he did not, but I am still out the $89. :-/ Spend the extra $20 and stay at Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ames, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Staying here right now, if I could cancel the reservation and leave I would! Booked thru Expedia I'm done with them as we'll, but that's another story. The room is dark, dingy, and disgusting. The wall air conditioner is so loud have to turn the tv up. But maybe that's ok cause the walls are paper thin, sounds like the people next store are in the room with us. Room smells musty. Can't wait to see breakfast, they have folding tables set outside the office in the parking lot for this "free" delight. Can't wait to leave. Paid $80 per night for a room that is only worth $30/night. The car looks better then this place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Payson, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My wife and I decided to go to Kanab and volunteer at Best Friends so we just needed a crash pad. This place fit the bill perfectly. It was just a basic hotel room with nothing special but it seemed clean and the staff was nice. The "breakfast" was pretty slim though, with mostly store bought bakery items and not fruit but no biggy. It surely isn't a luxury hotel but it has the necessities including a fridge and microwave so that was nice.

Oh, the wifi sucks.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I was a little disappointed in the motel. We had 2 rooms reserved, and following a rain storm, one of them was wet from the window leaking and we switched. The rooms smelled heavily of antiseptic cleaner which was too overwhelming in one of our rooms. The rooms were clean, but have not been updated/renovated in a long time and showed it. the TVs were small, mounted in the corner of the room, and received just a few stations. We had reserved 2 queen beds, but full-size beds was more like what we got. The breakfast was pretty limited and basic -- waffle maker, toast, 2-3 cereal choices, and some muffins.

I would recommend someplace different, however If this is the what you are looking for, I was told by the manager not to book through a 3rd party website, but contact them directly for a better deal. My recommendation is find out what other websites are offering and then contact them and see if they will beat it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

After hitting a deer on U.S. 89, I stayed at the Royal Inn for more than a week while my car was being repaired. Since Kanab is very much a tourist town (Zion National Park, Lake Powell, and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon are all fairly close), accomodations can be pricey. But the manager of the Royal Inn worked with me on a very fair discount based on the length of my stay. My room was small (partly because of the king bed); but the A/C worked very well in the 98-degree afternoon heat, the room was clean, and the mini-frige was larger than most. The bathroom was good-sized (but with only a shower, not a tub), and there was also a large closet area (which kept my clothes and suitcase out of the bedroom). The mattress and pillows were very comfortable, and the cable TV system carried all of the expected channels -- except HBO. The free breakfast did not provide extensive choices, but it was plenty for me. Many of the tables were outside, so I regularly ate breakfast with a view of a nearby red rock mountain. The location was pretty good, with a Mexican restaurant directly across the street, and a grocery store and fast food outlets within walking distance. Since nightly temperatures usually dropped into the mid-50s, I often opened my window (shutting off the A/C). Somebody in the neighborhood behind the motel must have kept chickens, because the faint crow of a rooster woke me up just about breakfast time when I had the window open. Pretty cool!

Room Tip: The Royal Inn regularly hosts foreign tourists traveling in big buses (which park up front near the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Tel-Aviv
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

so i stayed in Royal Inn for 2 nights. i love how those places post so many warnings about what you are not allowed to do, but i wish that was the only problem.
first, the smell. bad smell all over the hall and the room.
low wifi signal(at least at room i stayed), loud AC, the curtain was that type you see in offices, letting the light go in. the microwave was shared.
if you want the cheapest deal(55$ a night + tax) go for it

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Overall this place was not bad. You could tell that it was at one point, but you can tell the current owners are taking steps to make it better. The rooms were small but clean, the beds were comfy, and the lady who checked me in could not have been nicer. If we make it to Kanab again we would probably stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Inn Kanab? Share your experiences!