“Blah, ug, and nasty” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Kanab
Ames, Iowa
“Blah, ug, and nasty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Staying here right now, if I could cancel the reservation and leave I would! Booked thru Expedia I'm done with them as we'll, but that's another story. The room is dark, dingy, and disgusting. The wall air conditioner is so loud have to turn the tv up. But maybe that's ok cause the walls are paper thin, sounds like the people next store are in the room with us. Room smells musty. Can't wait to see breakfast, they have folding tables set outside the office in the parking lot for this "free" delight. Can't wait to leave. Paid $80 per night for a room that is only worth $30/night. The car looks better then this place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Payson, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My wife and I decided to go to Kanab and volunteer at Best Friends so we just needed a crash pad. This place fit the bill perfectly. It was just a basic hotel room with nothing special but it seemed clean and the staff was nice. The "breakfast" was pretty slim though, with mostly store bought bakery items and not fruit but no biggy. It surely isn't a luxury hotel but it has the necessities including a fridge and microwave so that was nice.

Oh, the wifi sucks.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I was a little disappointed in the motel. We had 2 rooms reserved, and following a rain storm, one of them was wet from the window leaking and we switched. The rooms smelled heavily of antiseptic cleaner which was too overwhelming in one of our rooms. The rooms were clean, but have not been updated/renovated in a long time and showed it. the TVs were small, mounted in the corner of the room, and received just a few stations. We had reserved 2 queen beds, but full-size beds was more like what we got. The breakfast was pretty limited and basic -- waffle maker, toast, 2-3 cereal choices, and some muffins.

I would recommend someplace different, however If this is the what you are looking for, I was told by the manager not to book through a 3rd party website, but contact them directly for a better deal. My recommendation is find out what other websites are offering and then contact them and see if they will beat it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

After hitting a deer on U.S. 89, I stayed at the Royal Inn for more than a week while my car was being repaired. Since Kanab is very much a tourist town (Zion National Park, Lake Powell, and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon are all fairly close), accomodations can be pricey. But the manager of the Royal Inn worked with me on a very fair discount based on the length of my stay. My room was small (partly because of the king bed); but the A/C worked very well in the 98-degree afternoon heat, the room was clean, and the mini-frige was larger than most. The bathroom was good-sized (but with only a shower, not a tub), and there was also a large closet area (which kept my clothes and suitcase out of the bedroom). The mattress and pillows were very comfortable, and the cable TV system carried all of the expected channels -- except HBO. The free breakfast did not provide extensive choices, but it was plenty for me. Many of the tables were outside, so I regularly ate breakfast with a view of a nearby red rock mountain. The location was pretty good, with a Mexican restaurant directly across the street, and a grocery store and fast food outlets within walking distance. Since nightly temperatures usually dropped into the mid-50s, I often opened my window (shutting off the A/C). Somebody in the neighborhood behind the motel must have kept chickens, because the faint crow of a rooster woke me up just about breakfast time when I had the window open. Pretty cool!

Room Tip: The Royal Inn regularly hosts foreign tourists traveling in big buses (which park up front near the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Tel-Aviv
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

so i stayed in Royal Inn for 2 nights. i love how those places post so many warnings about what you are not allowed to do, but i wish that was the only problem.
first, the smell. bad smell all over the hall and the room.
low wifi signal(at least at room i stayed), loud AC, the curtain was that type you see in offices, letting the light go in. the microwave was shared.
if you want the cheapest deal(55$ a night + tax) go for it

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Overall this place was not bad. You could tell that it was at one point, but you can tell the current owners are taking steps to make it better. The rooms were small but clean, the beds were comfy, and the lady who checked me in could not have been nicer. If we make it to Kanab again we would probably stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Payson
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

For my stopover in Kanab this year, I was looking for a low price. I can't say this accommodation was on my Bucket List of inns, however, it was adequate, fulfilling my five basic needs: comfortable bed, electrical outlet for my breathing machine, working bathroom, good climate control, and working wifi. It wasn't anything to write home about, but fit the bill for a night's stay.

I was checked in and given a king bed instead of the one queen I reserved, but it was the same price, so I didn't quibble. Small room, but I didn't expect a large suite. One plus was that I had two options for an electrical outlet. I have stayed in five-star hotels that had none available for patron use unless you moved the bed to get to the outlet behind it! I always travel with extension cords because of the need for access to at least one outlet during the night. At one motel, I had to stretch two extension cords from the bathroom in order to use my machine. I've added a power strip to my luggage for device charging nowadays. But I digress.

The wifi was average that evening, and slow the next morning, but worked without too many problems. The free continental breakfast was what I expected: coffee and juice, cereals, muffin or bread, waffles. High carbs and no protein. Mostly elders partaking, so I felt at home.

As I write this review, a rooster is crowing, giving a small-town ambiance to my small-town stopover. I could well stay here again, depending on the amount of travel on my calendar and my budget. Who can say? There was nothing negative about the stay, but I'm rating it average because it wasn't spectacular. It is what it is: low-cost accommodation for one night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Royal Inn Kanab? Share your experiences!