“Not a pleasant experience” 1 of 5 stars

Royal Inn Kanab
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   386 East 300 South, Kanab, UT 84741   |
Ranked #14 of 15 hotels in Kanab
Walsall, United Kingdom
“Not a pleasant experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

After a 530 mile drive this was literally the first place we came to that had vacancy signs up (probably a good reason for that!) And had I had internet access there would have been no way we would have stayed there. However we were all exhausted but I wished I had trusted my gut instincts, the reception smelt of a mixture of curry and incense, it was also not very clean.

But I went ahead and booked the room and as soon as we walked in I knew we had made a mistake. There were marks on the ceiling and after a fun game of guess the stain we settled on blood splatter marks. Also judging by the patch marks in the plaster board walls it was obvious how the blood got there! The TV in the room belonged in a museum and the Wifi was terrible, kept dropping out every 5 minutes.

In the interests of giving a balanced view though I would say that the bedding appeared clean and the bathroom was also of an acceptable standard. Overall though a depressing, grotty hole that we were glad to leave.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We arrived at Kanab after dark and all the nice hotels like the Victorian Inn were fully booked. We ended up at the Royal Inn. A curry taste greeted us at reception and the room was tiny and old. WiFi did not work well and the sheets smelled as if they had not been changed from the previous guest. It was just disgusting. The breakfast was practically non-existent, butter coming out of a bottle, etc. Now, this was definitely the worst hotel experience during our otherwise awesome trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
tulsa, ok
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. First of all we reserved a room with two queen beds and when we arrived we discovered what they were selling as queen beds were actually double beds. The inside of the room was so tiny that the two full size beds took up the entire space. The room was has not been updated since the motel was built in the 60's. It smelled bad and looked very dingy. I was afraid of the bedspread coming into contact with my kids faces. I'm sure they haven't been washed in years. The bathroom walls were rotting out around the shower. If it hadn't been so late when we arrived I never would have stayed there. I was almost tempted to just spend the night in my car. It would have been much cleaner. I just can't describe how bad this place truly was. The mattresses on the beds were very old and worn out. The whole bed mattress slanted downhill on one side. I also killed the biggest roach I have ever seen at this place. This place was the biggest dump I have ever seen in all of my travels and it just needs to be torn down. If it's the only place left in town you would be better off to keep on driving or sleep in your car.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lake Montezuma, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Made the reservation online the day before arrival. Other places we had stayed were booked by all the bus loads of tourists this time of year. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly desk clerk, and easily checked in. The room was comfortable, nothing fancy, but adequate for the two of us and clean. Later in the evening when I returned to the office, there was a delicious aroma and I commented on it. The man kindly offered me a taste of the dish, cautioning me that it was spicy. It was delicious! not too spicy, in fact, I have a chocolate bar with chili that is far hotter! (serious, from the Lillie Belle Chocolates in Oregon...yummm, but that's another story.) Breakfast in the morning had a great waffle making setup, and very adequate 'continental breakfast.' Have had many just like it at fancier motels. I'll stay here again. Thanks! (we did drive back into town a few blocks to enjoy shopping and entertainment.)

Room Tip: Rooms on side opposite the parking area might have less light outside. The light outside anyway did...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Burley, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

It was very late and I was just ready to go to sleep.
I paid $70.00 for a dive of a room, if it had not been so late, and I being so tired, I would have gone and asked for my money back and looked somewhere else.
The room smelled and "felt" dirty.
The decor was dated and dirty.
The beds were not comfortable.
The bathroom .... yuck!

The outside did not look to bad and I could see a trip advisor sticker in the window so I thought it was a safe bet. I could hardly wait for sunrise so we could get out of there.

Room Tip: No extras, not a microwave to warm baby bottles, and I would not drink the water there just for fear...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I booked this motel via online knowing I would be arriving after dark. It appeared to be the only remaining motel with vacancies. The lobby smelled of curry. The room appeared to be unremodeled since late 1960s. The style of the bathroom fixtures and vanity is the same as my parents' house built in 1967. The room was the smallest I have ever been in, just enough to fit two uncomfortable double beds. My daughter and I slept poorly. The sheets were itchy and I dreamed of being bitten by bugs. The shower had mold in it, mostly covered with copious amounts of caulk. I paid $70 for this experience. I would not dream of returning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stopped in Kanab after a long day of touring the Grand Canyon. We were so tired we would have stayed anywhere but this place looked ok from the outside so we chose to stay without seeing the room.
While it wasn't as bad as the Red Apple Inn in Tillamook Oregon, it is an establishment that is in need of updating. The rooms are in several "sections" and the whole place feels very disjointed and quite dingy. We slept, ate some of the "carbs only" breakfast (no healthy options only beige foods), and then left to continue our journey.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Royal Inn Kanab? Share your experiences!