“Absolute Worse!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Kanab
tulsa, ok
“Absolute Worse!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. First of all we reserved a room with two queen beds and when we arrived we discovered what they were selling as queen beds were actually double beds. The inside of the room was so tiny that the two full size beds took up the entire space. The room was has not been updated since the motel was built in the 60's. It smelled bad and looked very dingy. I was afraid of the bedspread coming into contact with my kids faces. I'm sure they haven't been washed in years. The bathroom walls were rotting out around the shower. If it hadn't been so late when we arrived I never would have stayed there. I was almost tempted to just spend the night in my car. It would have been much cleaner. I just can't describe how bad this place truly was. The mattresses on the beds were very old and worn out. The whole bed mattress slanted downhill on one side. I also killed the biggest roach I have ever seen at this place. This place was the biggest dump I have ever seen in all of my travels and it just needs to be torn down. If it's the only place left in town you would be better off to keep on driving or sleep in your car.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Lake Montezuma, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Made the reservation online the day before arrival. Other places we had stayed were booked by all the bus loads of tourists this time of year. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly desk clerk, and easily checked in. The room was comfortable, nothing fancy, but adequate for the two of us and clean. Later in the evening when I returned to the office, there was a delicious aroma and I commented on it. The man kindly offered me a taste of the dish, cautioning me that it was spicy. It was delicious! not too spicy, in fact, I have a chocolate bar with chili that is far hotter! (serious, from the Lillie Belle Chocolates in Oregon...yummm, but that's another story.) Breakfast in the morning had a great waffle making setup, and very adequate 'continental breakfast.' Have had many just like it at fancier motels. I'll stay here again. Thanks! (we did drive back into town a few blocks to enjoy shopping and entertainment.)

Room Tip: Rooms on side opposite the parking area might have less light outside. The light outside anyway did...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Burley, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

It was very late and I was just ready to go to sleep.
I paid $70.00 for a dive of a room, if it had not been so late, and I being so tired, I would have gone and asked for my money back and looked somewhere else.
The room smelled and "felt" dirty.
The decor was dated and dirty.
The beds were not comfortable.
The bathroom .... yuck!

The outside did not look to bad and I could see a trip advisor sticker in the window so I thought it was a safe bet. I could hardly wait for sunrise so we could get out of there.

Room Tip: No extras, not a microwave to warm baby bottles, and I would not drink the water there just for fear...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I booked this motel via online knowing I would be arriving after dark. It appeared to be the only remaining motel with vacancies. The lobby smelled of curry. The room appeared to be unremodeled since late 1960s. The style of the bathroom fixtures and vanity is the same as my parents' house built in 1967. The room was the smallest I have ever been in, just enough to fit two uncomfortable double beds. My daughter and I slept poorly. The sheets were itchy and I dreamed of being bitten by bugs. The shower had mold in it, mostly covered with copious amounts of caulk. I paid $70 for this experience. I would not dream of returning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stopped in Kanab after a long day of touring the Grand Canyon. We were so tired we would have stayed anywhere but this place looked ok from the outside so we chose to stay without seeing the room.
While it wasn't as bad as the Red Apple Inn in Tillamook Oregon, it is an establishment that is in need of updating. The rooms are in several "sections" and the whole place feels very disjointed and quite dingy. We slept, ate some of the "carbs only" breakfast (no healthy options only beige foods), and then left to continue our journey.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

With limited phone service and internet in the Arizona desert on our way to the Grand Canyon, knowing that we'd be finishing the evening late, we decided to pull off the side of the road that morning to try and book a room for that night at the Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn in Kanab. The phone number on my iPhone google search linked me to a "reservation service" (Expedia according to the hotel when we got there) who informed me there was only one room left in Kanab that night and it was at the Royal Inn and Suites. I didn't feel I had options and didn't have cell coverage enough to check reviews and simply took her word and booked the room. To quote Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman"... "BIG MISTAKE! HUGE!" It was late when we pulled in and it was DISGUSTING! Oh, and as we were checking in, there was a walk-in behind me able to get a room so clearly the room the Expedia/reservation line person coerced me into believing was the "last room available in Kanab" was not. Now, onto details about our experience... The decor was circa early 60's and I get the feeling the carpet, mattresses, bedding and pillows could easily be dated even earlier. The two FULL-sized beds in the room FILLED it to the point there was no place to put luggage. Now there was a full-size closet through the bathroom (as if anyone would be staying there for an extended time!) but I was afraid to go in there (by the way, the closet was twice as big as the bathroom). So, we set up luggage on the bed closest to the door, got ready for bed, and pulled back the sheets on the bed next to the window (which had no screen or lock) only to discover the bed had already been slept in. Someone had simply made the bed without changing the sheets. EEEEEEEWWWWWW! So luggage got shifted to the dirty bed and fortunately the other bed appeared to be clean. Neither of us slept much at all that night. The good news is we couldn't wait to get out of there the next morning so we got an early start seeing Bryce Canyon. With the disgusting room and mold in the shower, there was NOTHING Royal about the Royal Inn and Suites in Kanab, UT. Quoting another review I saw (after the fact), the best thing about the Royal Inn and Suites in Kanab, Utah, was seeing it in our rearview mirror. Note to self: NEVER TRUST EXPEDIA AGAIN!

Room Tip: Be afraid! Be very afraid! Find a different hotel or drive to a different town. Don't even da...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel on route between grand canyon and Bryce canyon. It was adequate for an overnight stay. No complaints, room was clean, beds ok, breakfast ok. Managed to get a decent nights sleep. Not particularly memorable, no burning ambition to return.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Royal Inn Kanab? Share your experiences!