“DON'T DO IT....just keep going.” 1 of 5 stars

Royal Inn Kanab
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   386 East 300 South, Kanab, UT 84741   |
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Kanab
Burley, Idaho
“DON'T DO IT....just keep going.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

It was very late and I was just ready to go to sleep.
I paid $70.00 for a dive of a room, if it had not been so late, and I being so tired, I would have gone and asked for my money back and looked somewhere else.
The room smelled and "felt" dirty.
The decor was dated and dirty.
The beds were not comfortable.
The bathroom .... yuck!

The outside did not look to bad and I could see a trip advisor sticker in the window so I thought it was a safe bet. I could hardly wait for sunrise so we could get out of there.

Room Tip: No extras, not a microwave to warm baby bottles, and I would not drink the water there just for fear...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I booked this motel via online knowing I would be arriving after dark. It appeared to be the only remaining motel with vacancies. The lobby smelled of curry. The room appeared to be unremodeled since late 1960s. The style of the bathroom fixtures and vanity is the same as my parents' house built in 1967. The room was the smallest I have ever been in, just enough to fit two uncomfortable double beds. My daughter and I slept poorly. The sheets were itchy and I dreamed of being bitten by bugs. The shower had mold in it, mostly covered with copious amounts of caulk. I paid $70 for this experience. I would not dream of returning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stopped in Kanab after a long day of touring the Grand Canyon. We were so tired we would have stayed anywhere but this place looked ok from the outside so we chose to stay without seeing the room.
While it wasn't as bad as the Red Apple Inn in Tillamook Oregon, it is an establishment that is in need of updating. The rooms are in several "sections" and the whole place feels very disjointed and quite dingy. We slept, ate some of the "carbs only" breakfast (no healthy options only beige foods), and then left to continue our journey.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

With limited phone service and internet in the Arizona desert on our way to the Grand Canyon, knowing that we'd be finishing the evening late, we decided to pull off the side of the road that morning to try and book a room for that night at the Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn in Kanab. The phone number on my iPhone google search linked me to a "reservation service" (Expedia according to the hotel when we got there) who informed me there was only one room left in Kanab that night and it was at the Royal Inn and Suites. I didn't feel I had options and didn't have cell coverage enough to check reviews and simply took her word and booked the room. To quote Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman"... "BIG MISTAKE! HUGE!" It was late when we pulled in and it was DISGUSTING! Oh, and as we were checking in, there was a walk-in behind me able to get a room so clearly the room the Expedia/reservation line person coerced me into believing was the "last room available in Kanab" was not. Now, onto details about our experience... The decor was circa early 60's and I get the feeling the carpet, mattresses, bedding and pillows could easily be dated even earlier. The two FULL-sized beds in the room FILLED it to the point there was no place to put luggage. Now there was a full-size closet through the bathroom (as if anyone would be staying there for an extended time!) but I was afraid to go in there (by the way, the closet was twice as big as the bathroom). So, we set up luggage on the bed closest to the door, got ready for bed, and pulled back the sheets on the bed next to the window (which had no screen or lock) only to discover the bed had already been slept in. Someone had simply made the bed without changing the sheets. EEEEEEEWWWWWW! So luggage got shifted to the dirty bed and fortunately the other bed appeared to be clean. Neither of us slept much at all that night. The good news is we couldn't wait to get out of there the next morning so we got an early start seeing Bryce Canyon. With the disgusting room and mold in the shower, there was NOTHING Royal about the Royal Inn and Suites in Kanab, UT. Quoting another review I saw (after the fact), the best thing about the Royal Inn and Suites in Kanab, Utah, was seeing it in our rearview mirror. Note to self: NEVER TRUST EXPEDIA AGAIN!

Room Tip: Be afraid! Be very afraid! Find a different hotel or drive to a different town. Don't even da...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel on route between grand canyon and Bryce canyon. It was adequate for an overnight stay. No complaints, room was clean, beds ok, breakfast ok. Managed to get a decent nights sleep. Not particularly memorable, no burning ambition to return.

• Stayed August 2012
Piastow, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Quite convenient motel on the way to Bryce Canyon. Room was ok with comfortable bed but bathroom is extremely small!!! You can meet friends at meeting room in the evening close to entrance. Breakfast was quite ok however everything was extremely sweet there.

Room Tip: not healthy breakfast - pure sweet food
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Elsinore, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This place is not only "clueless" but gross. I have a registered service animal who helps me with a disability. I advised the clerk, who said she'd have to put me in the "pet" room and it would be more money. I told her I wanted a regular room, something with minimal walking distance from my vehicle. I did not want the "pet room", which she advised was not as nice. Being from out of the country, she was actually unaware that you cannot discriminate and that the "service animal" was not like a regularl "pet". Then another gentlement, just as clueless, started to joke about it, saying "does the dog have human hair...NO? Then it must be a dog!". The maintenance man advised them that they could not discriminate against me with a service animal, that I was to be given a regular room. When I got to the room, it was DISGUSTING. Roach motel to the max. The bedspread had shoe scuff stains on it. The shower had 1" caulk around it, rust, and rotted out portions in the wall, everything was outdated, dank, and dismal.. My skill crawled all night long. I could not wait to get out of this dump. The best customer service I got was the night security/maintenance man who helped me with my bags and service dog. They also put me at the very furthest room at the end of the hotel, about as far as I could be from my vehicle. This was after I told them I had a walking/balance problem. Steer clear of this place!!! Spend $30-40 more and stay anywhere but here!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Royal Inn Kanab? Share your experiences!