“Run away fast!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hanksville Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hanksville
Hanksville Inn
280 East 100 North, Hanksville, UT   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Hanksville
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Run away fast!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

#1 Dump in the world!

1. Smell....horrible mildew stench. My son got allergic reaction to dust/mold. There are multiple mold spots on the ceiling.
2. Beds... luckily I read some of the other reviews and brought my sleeping bags. The beds haven't been changed from the previous stay. There WERE black hair on the pillow and sheets.
3. Fridge did not work, had to unplug it from the outlet to shut it up, it was making way too much loud noise.
4. Air conditioner...about an inch of dust on it, it only has two settings On and Off, nothing else worked and barely cooled the room. In the middle of the night the air conditioner started making awful scratch noise, woke us up and we couldn't sleep. None of us went bare feet while we stayed there.
5. As another reviewer stated, plants grew inside the room from the floor. The floor hasn't been vacuumed in ages. Mice traces everywhere. We put all our belongings up off the floor in fear of mice getting inside.
6. Fridge, tv, microwave, cable box, lights and clock all plugged in to a single cheap power strip....completely not to fire code.
7. I tried to open the window for some fresh air, there was about an inch of dirt and dust behind the nasty curtain.
8. Walls are paper thin, you can hear people snore from two rooms down.
9. Bathroom is full of mold and pretty gross. We haven't used a shower, I was afraid to pick up something nasty from it.
10. On top of everything, it cost $80+$10 for a pet (Memorial Day weekend)... I call it blackmail

It was the WORST motel experience my family has EVER been in.
We ended up leaving 2 AM (not on purpose) in the morning and driving home, cutting our family vacation short due to lack of sleep. There were no other motels available around. As one reviewer stated, it's better to sleep on the side of the road. It will be cheaper and cleaner.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

People who gave this motel a good review are either motel owners or have no clue what a normal motel room is.

PS: Wireless internet actually worked, but I connected to another wireless access point and not named "Hanksville Inn WiFi", so not sure if it's theirs or not.

Room Tip: None, run away fast
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Manitou Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Everything the other poor reviewers said is true. From the Michael Meyers poster to the mold and vines growing in the shower,our night from hell culminated with the sound of mice chewing on our baggie of trailmix on our nightstand. There was a mouse hole in the wall between our beds and the mouse convention was in our room! They even ate through my leather tank bag to get to my trailmix.
The owner did comp us the room for the night when I showed him my $70 chewed up tank bag. He said the year before they had a toad invasion and before that a snake invasion so I guess this all could have been worse.

Room Tip: Bring a good cat with you.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, UT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

I have stayed in at least 150 motels/hotels in my life. This ranks as one of the worst, maybe THE worst.

Facts:

There is an autographed picture of Michael Myers, the masked murderer from the 'Halloween' series posted proudly behind the front desk. There are no other pictures on that wall.

The swimming pool has been filled in with dirt.

There was grass growing around the outside bottom edge of the tub- where the tub meets the floor.

The smell of the room was a potent mixture of 40 years of Lysol spray masking plentiful amounts of mildew.

My opinion:
If they charged $30 a night I would expect to stay at a total dump, but $79 a night is highway robbery. Either stay at the Desert Sands down the street or actually go camp out in the desert. The Desert Sands was booked on this visit to Hanksville. If we had our camping gear we would have ditched this awful dump and camped.

**Please see my photos, they speak for themselves.**

Room Tip: Camping is better than any room at this motel.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Northern Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

We chose Hanksville Inn because the other option (Whispering Sands) never responded to our reservation requests. That was a BIG mistake. We travelled around the Southwest for two weeks, staying in very basic hotels but Hanksville Inn is a dump (it even smelled like a toxic dump at that). First room we were shown smelled heavily of mold so we asked for a different room which initially seemed fine, thanks to the room deordorizer we later discovered. Too late (10 p.m), we realized that sink seemed to be draining directly onto floorroom boards and entire room stank like sewage. I considered sleeping in the car but lights in parking lot were too bright. We switched to Whispering Sands the next night and it was like staying at the Ritz....

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Hanksville doesn't offer much in the way of hotels. This was one of two that we saw. Room was spacious, and the owner was friendly, but the room wasn't very clean.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011 via mobile

Nice people, though Hanksville in general has a bit of a Deliverance country feel. No frills, pool is filled in, blanket on bed was from the Eisenhower era, but it worked when we were driving through and tired. Blondes across the street was good for breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

The Inn is a dump but with so many tourists on the road its the only thing I could find within a hundred miles. Riding a Harley across the Arizona and Utah highways presents special challanges one of those is the intense heat in the summer. The good news about the Hanksville Inn is that the air conditioner worked, the hot shower worked and the steak house across the street (owned by the same person as the hotel) had decent food but no alcohot served. The RV park had a laundry where I washed our clothes and was entertained by a mouse running behind the different machines as the heat steamed the building. My suggestions? Make reservations early and stay up the road in Torrey but if you must stay in Hanksville.... bring a fly swatter.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hanksville Inn? Share your experiences!