“Great Time!” 5 of 5 stars

Activities: Dig (archeology)
Newberry, Florida, United States
“Great Time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We had an awesome time last week! Mike, Elaine and Beven were great. We had such a good time, we went back for a second day. I recommend calling ahead just to make sure what time they will be there - they aren't kidding when they say it's 50+ miles from Delta. about 34 miles of gravel roads but well worth the trip.

Visited May 2013

Norfolk, Virginia
12 attraction reviews
“Hunting for 500 million year-old trilobites is fascinating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've wanted to try this for many years and was thrilled to actually find many of the little 'bugs'. Moderately hard work, but worth the effort to split the shale deposited half a billion years ago and find a creature that has been waiting patiently for your hammer.

Visited May 2013
denver, Colorado
7 attraction reviews
“out of the way, but a highlight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The folks at the place were very nice, educational and helpful.

Our family of 4 found (hundreds) of parts or indentations of trillobytes and probably 15 full trilobytes...

Road wasn't bad.. maybe because it was early in the season.. was able to drive over 40 miles per hour until the last few miles, then 20-30 miles per mile.

Visited March 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“The Great Fossil Adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

By Michael Burns "Phoenix AZ"

My daughter Stephanie loves studying / researching prehistoric life and she wanted to study fossils. I looked up fossil digging in Utah because I watched a special about U-Dig Fossils on the Travel Channel "America's Best Places to Find Cash & Teasures" around a year ago. My daughter was very excited about digging fossils so we went to Utah for a few days.

I wasn't sure what to expect however it became real interesting right off the bat. The family that works the site was very helpful and got us started on our adventure, very soon we were finding trilobite fossils. There was 4 kids digging close to us and they were just yelling none stop "I found another one, I found another one" which made everyone excited.

My best find was a plate of around 10 whole trilobites on it, what a great piece my daughter and I literally pulled out of the ground ourselves. It was a great experience that we had, even more so working with the family who owns U-Dig Fossils "they made the experience even better, and were very helpful". When we got home my daughter called all her friends and told them about the experience and she even gave them some of the fossils since we had so many.

This in my opinion is a must do experience, and a great adventure! Thanks

Visited September 2012
Colorado
9 attraction reviews
“Worth the trip - twice.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is a follow-up of my review in 2010. It took a while, but I finally got back to Delta and the trilobite quarry. This time it was open and I spent a very enjoyable day splitting rock. The scenery out and back, as well as at the quarry, has a stark beauty all its own. The road is no Interstate but is in good condition, easily traveled by the family minivan. The signage is very clear and easily followed. Although I had my own tools the quarry provides them if you don't and the quarry operator offers a wealth of information and assistance. Even the novice will find plenty of Trilobites and most kids love the treasure hunt. These Trilobites are a half a billion years old, beautifully preserved in the soft shale. Well worth the trip, even twice.

Visited August 2012