“Needs some work” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 hotels in Bryce
Yeovil, Somerset
“Needs some work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just an average roadside motel with some faily dated rooms and fittings. We initially booked 2 'normal' 2 Queens motel rooms but when we saw them I opted for the 3 bedroom flat above the kitchen. This was far better with a good range of facilities and very clean and comfortable - but boy did I pay for it at $200 per night.

In general it was just OK, with an OK restaurant. A bit of a trek to the park entrance, but other than the park, there isn't much there anyway, and if your main aim is the hiking then you might as well just suck it up and stay here as it is acceptable.

Room Tip: The 3 bedroom family room is very good, but expensive. Because it is above the restaurant the wi-fi...

269 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
PORTAGE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I generally love supporting small businesses like this, but this establishment was a disappointment. When the owner & front desk staff--who always seem extremely relaxed when I went in the office--say that they are busy, but never go out of their way to be friendly or helpful, sorry, I will not support that.

I went on an 11 night road trip, and this was the only hotel/restaurant that gave us any problem the whole time. I had a piece of mail sent to their PO box. I had a priority mail tracking number showing that it had arrived Saturday at 9:30am. Thursday when we arrived, I told them that I was expecting it. Saturday evening the owner explained to me that they didn't get the mail that day. She then went on to give me every reason in the book (many of which did not make sense) NOT to go get the mail. She even had the nerve to say "you city people don't know how mail works in places out here". Well, I do know how a PO box works, and I do know that most businesses check their mail every day, especially a hotel that has been made aware that a guest is expecting something. We were there for 4 nights, but treated like a huge inconvenience.

Our first day there, we went to the restaurant. In total we were there for 2 hours. With a toddler, eating out is not always easy, and a 2 hour restaurant dinner is far from convenient. We waited at least 5 minutes simply to get a table, when it was not by any means busy. It's a small place and had tons of open tables. I hope the girl who sat us was not actually getting paid, because she did almost nothing. I started to wonder if the one waitress was also cooking the meals, because she would disappear into the kitchen until she brought food out. I took to refilling my own hot water for tea, and my party's coffee at the bar, since I didn't want to wait.

We stayed here because it seemed like a good value, but my advice is to stay away if you can find something else for your family. It's worth paying a little more and not risking getting in the way of the owner, which could cost you valuable time and/or money.

South Kingstown
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I had to cancel a reservation that I made in January, 2013 for a date in May, 2013. I made this cancellation in April, well within their cancellation period. When speaking to the woman who answered the phone, I requested that my deposit be credited to my credit card. The woman stated that the deposit was not refundable. I indicated that their cancellation policy as stated in my confirmation did not say anything about a non-refundable deposit: "Cancellation Policy: If your travel plans change and you must cancel your reservation, please call us at least 3 (three) days* prior to your arrival date to cancel your reservation.*In the unlikely event that you must cancel with less than three (3) days* notice, shorten your stay or check out early, please understand that we must ask you to take responsibility for your entire reservation. If we can rebook your room(s), a full or partial refund will be made."
She said that their website indicated that the deposit was non-refundable. If that is the case, why didn't they also indicate that in the cancellation policy included in my confirmation???

Also, when I went to check on their website to confirm what she was saying, a "Go-Daddy.com" web page came up with this message: "NOTICE: This domain name expired on 04/27/2013 and is pending renewal or deletion."!!! What???

I guess that I should have paid more attention to another line in their confirmation which indicates: "Our hotel is a privately held company and we reserve the right to refuse service." Seems that they follow through on that even before the guest checks in!! All I can say is "beware"!

Orange, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Picked this place based on other reviews and proximity to Bryce Canyon. Expected to be in the park until dark and just needed a place to sleep and head out first thing the next morning. Unfortunately we hit light snow and cold which cut our park time a little. We upgraded to one of the cottages with the fireplace (a must with snow!!!) and I LOVED it! Not the ritz - a little rustic and outdated, but I actually prefer that when visiting a National Park. The kitchen was great and the room was very bright and super clean. The linens were new and plush. Our cottage adjoined to another bathroom and two bedrooms so I am already making plans to come back with our adult children and their spouses. The staff were so kind and helpful. We had dinner at the restaurant. With the bad weather, the convenience was great. The food was good and the pie we brought back to the room for dessert was a great way to end a beautiful day.

This isn't the closest hotel to the park entrance. It is probably a 5-7 minute drive to the entrance, so still very close.

We hope to take advantage of one of the trail rides on our next visit!

Room Tip: The "room" we saw was very basic. If you can, choose a cottage. Ours faced onto the main...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Rooms are comfortable and clean. In April we had a room for $65 plus tax, which was $10 higher than quoted in the AAA book. In May this goes up to $115. The Bryce Canyon area unlike the parks further east is very touristy. Prices are high, which is typical for this sort of area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I booked 2 rooms with them, and because of some reason, I have to cancel my reservation. I noticed there was a 10% non-refundable charge on my credit card, which is about $15. So when my time seems OK later, I think of booking again with them, use my previous 10% "credit" charged by them to make the same reservation. This time they ask me to provide credit card information again, so I asked "Can I just use that $15 charged by you previously to make new reservation?"

She didn't answer my question, but said "Give me your credit card information now, otherwise I cannot reserve for you."

Then I said, "Yes I will give you my credit card information, but before that, I just want to know how about the previous 10% charge, do I just pay the remaining 90% cost when I check in? And will you charge me another 10% right now?"

Again she didn't answer my question, but kept saying "I don't want to argue with you. You must give me a credit card to make the reservation; if you don't give me your credit card right now, I won't waste time with you, I have other customers waiting for me"

So ridiculous! Who is arguing with her! I just want to be clear about what will going on after I provide my credit card information, and how about the previously charged $15? And she thought explaining to me is a waste of time! I really feel uncomfortable about how they treat their customers!

I am always in a good manner, and this is the first time I write a 1-star review. It's the worst experience I've encountered for reserving rooms. I would rather lose my $15 deposit than contacting them again!

Room Tip: Stay away from the rude owner of this motel!
Nevada City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Four of us stayed here for three days. The cottage we shared was clean and cozy. The owners were friendly and brought us firewood every day for the fireplace.
The restaurant lived up to all the good reviews we read here. Unlike one reviewer's comments, three of us ordered the trout dinner and it was delicious! Not over cooked. Done to perfection. The trout has pink meat and comes from Fish Lake which is about two hours away. I had the Boysenberry pie and it was also to die for. This Pines is located very close to Bryce Canyon NP and we had an incredible time. We will be back.

Room Tip: The family cottage was great
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Bryce Canyon Pines? Share your experiences!