“Bring your own food!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Seattle
“Bring your own food!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

OMG, I can't remember when I had such terrible food. We went through the buffet. The food looked dried and worn out!! I should have known better. After a couple bites, I asked for the manager and very politely told him the food was not edible and to please not charge me because I would rather spend the $$ in their store next door to buy a prepackaged sandwich. The vegetables were tasteless and soppy. The meat was tough and dried out and it was only
5 pm. The peas in the salad bar were still frozen. I told my husband I would not feed this food to my dog!!

The problem is this hotel restaurant has a captive audience because of the tourists and I've been told they own all the properties and land in the area. Basically there is no competition so they don't have to care if we are happy clients or not.

Buy a sandwich or something before you come into park.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Zurich, Switzerland
“Avoid if possible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The reception at the Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel advised us to eat at the Ruby's Inn Restaurant across the road. Perhaps Utah is not as famous for good restaurants as California, but at Ruby's we experienced our worst restaurant meal in years. The menu looked ok. We had a friendly waitress (Laura) who shared with us her historical background over 6 generations and gave us a picture of the area, set in a historical, personal context. This was a pleasant experience.

But the food was not. OK, a mushroom starter was good, but everything else was a disaster. The steak was almost resistant to to the steak knife, a mixed vegetable dish was 90% percent potato and 10% carrots, the flavoured rice was flavourless. There was an abundance of carrots, carrots, carrots. If you like tasteless carrots in enormous quantities this is the place for you. If not, then we suggest you stay away.

Visited September 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Average fast food joint”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

If the proprietors were to remove the "Diner" description from the name of the place, I think it may actually go a long way in avoiding false expectations of what customers can expect when they go into the place. Don't go in expecting "Today's Special: Ma's Meatloaf" or "Turkey Platter". It's a fast food joint, pure and simple. You order at a counter and your choice is deep fried everything except the pizzas, burgers, and hot dogs.
Having said that, I'd say the cheeseburgers we had were a step up from what you'd get McD's. The fries were not so good but you can substitute them for onion rings when you order a combo and we found them to be nicely crunchy and tasty. Prices were at an expected premium for a tourist area with limited selection but nothing outrageous (some competition would be nice in Bryce Canyon "City" but it looks like somebody has a monopoly on the commercial enterprises in the area).
Now for the service: We were served just fine. We came a little later than the lunch hours so it was pretty dead in the place, but our order was taken promptly and came out pretty fast. Like others have mentioned, there were about 4 or 5 people behind the counter, but they were all moving around and doing things. No one was particularly zippy, but they were friendly enough.
Funny thing though, while eating, we noticed that suddenly all but one of the staff had left the counter to go to the back to greet the staff arriving for the next shift. With customers starting to line up, a loud commotion of laughter and squealing erupted in the back. Then a couple of staff came out from the back to help themselves to drinks behind the counter and at the self-service stations, glancing at the customers at line before disappearing into the back again to resume the party. Meanwhile, the line grew, even though it wasn't so busy.
So while I can't complain about how we were served, I see the point of other reviews on here. Hit-and-miss, I guess.
Your only other fast, warm food options would be the Subway up the road or getting a hot dog from the rolling warmer at the grocery in Ruby's Lodge.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Warrnambool, Australia
“bad service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

after spending a glorious day looking through bryce canyon we decided to call into this diner, we noticed that our friend had pulled up there also, i sat while hubby ordered, our friend told us that the girl behind the counter was more interested in texting than serving the customers, while there we noticed that all bar one (not asian) staff and she had gone out the back were skylarking behind the counter, either texting or looking through a catalogue, two customers stood waiting to be served not one of the 6 asian staff bothered to attend to them eventually they just walked away

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oakland, California
“Actually, not that bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

It was after 8PM and we were very hungry after a full day hiking at Bryce. Restaurant options are extremely limited. We wanted something fast so we chose this "diner". It was packed! Quite a long line but the line moved quickly. You order and pay at the counter, and then wait for your number to be called. There didn't seem to be much more than a garden pizza for vegetarians. We asked the young lady taking our order what the soup of the day was and if it was vegetarian. She smiled brightly and said "Yes! It is corn chowder and it is vegetarian and it is my favorite. Would you like a taste? I am a vegetarian too." She sweetly took the time to get a cup and spoon and pour a tasting sample for us and you know what? It was good. We ordered one soup, a baked potato, a personal-size garden pizza and my husband order the fish and chips (the only over-priced item at $9). It wasn't quite "fast food" as they were really busy, but we didn't have to wait too long. All the food was piping hot and actually tastier than I had expected. The portions were large. For the remoteness of the area, we expect to have to pay more. The food wasn't half-bad really.

• Visited August 2012