“Management is Mismanaging this Lodge” 2 of 5 stars

Cedar Breaks Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   223 Hunter Ridge Rd, Brian Head, UT 84719   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Brian Head
Northern NJ
“Management is Mismanaging this Lodge”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We booked Cedar Breaks as base lodging while touring Bryce Canyon. Having had the experience of staying at Cedar Breaks, we would have booked elsewhere if we had gotten an earlier start on the planning process. We were greeted (gross understatement) at the front desk with an attitude of cold, and rude indifference, with somewhat of a military camp mannerism thrown in for good measure. We were assigned to building no. 3 which has two entrances: from the grade-floor garage and, the other from the parking lot, both of which are industrial-like in appearance. Overall, our room was acceptable. After a long days' drive, we arrived in the early evening and wanted very much to dine in their Steak House Restaurant but were informed that there was a waiting list. I noted that the dining room was completely empty when told this. Then, we were advised that there would be a ten minute wait, yet we were ignored while standing in front of the podium. End result: we called it a night and skipped dinner. The saving grace was the Cafe. Breakfast was found to be above average and is recommended. We checked out the (indoor) pool and were overtaken by chlorine fumes. I did, in fact, discuss the cold greeting we received with management and was offered an apology. Note that several other reviews contain similar experiences with this lodge. Additionally, it was clear that this lodge was seriously understaffed. Again, Cedar Breaks was our only choice at the time and, I would not choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid building number 3. The entrances are dark, poorly lit, and could invite a negative experience.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Lyman, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Cedar Breaks Lodge was the first stop on our recent vacation. Had a grand one bedroom villa for the 5 of us and it was PERFECT. Beds were comfortable and room was very clean. Had dinner and breakfast at the Cafe. Both meals were very good, pleanty of food for all. The service was fair. Check in and out was swift and the ladies were very helpful with area info and directions. The decision to stay here was last minute but was one of the highlights of our trip. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

This hotel makes a very pleasant base from which to visit Bryce Canyon and the surrounding area, and there's lovely countryside around the hotel. The indoor pool, with sauna and steam room, is very nice after a day's walking, but would benefit from some real changing rooms.

Rooms (main bedroom, living room with sofabed), shared bathroom and small kitchenette) are very nice, and well done in a "rustic chic" style; very clean and felt very new. downside is no windows in the living room, but this place is as much a winter lodge, and so this fits more with a winter sports atmosphere.

Downside: no breakfast included, and bar and restaurant are expensive, but there are a several alternatives a few hundred yards up the road.

Definitely recommended.

• Stayed August 2011
Garden Grove, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Just had a wonderful motorcycle trip called "Thunder on the Mountain" to Brian Head, UT. Best ride I have ever attended and I have attended a lot of them. Wish I could say the same for the Cedar Breaks Lodge. The Lodge is very nice and a good value for what you get. Check in is usually very slow, but so what, I am on vacation. No AC in the rooms, which is usually not a problem. Was very hot last year and could have used it. Liked the steam room and jacuzzi. Felt great after a long ride. Bear in mind, this is a non smoking facility. You can smoke in the outside area of the bar only. Not a problem, I can live with that. I thought all was well until I got home from my trip and looked at my checking account. Cedar Breaks Lodge had billed me an additional $150 on my credit card. I called and asked them what was up and they told me that there was evidence that I had been smoking in the room. I am a cigar smoker, but I never once lit up or smoked in the room. I used the designated smoking area. I told them this and they repeated the same thing. I told the girl on the phone that they had better refund my money or I would reverse the charge on my CC. After being put on hold for 10 minutes I was informed that because they had no pictures proving I had smoking paraphernalia in the room that they would refund my money. Basically they were calling me a liar and would have dinged me if they had proof. They did return the $150 two days later. I talked to the general manager of the property, Terri Moore and all she gave me was the company line. I am coming on the ride next year and asked her what was to prevent this from happening next year. She told me to have housekeeping check my room over on check out. I asked her who's word would she believe, mine or the person from housekeeping. She said that the final determination is made by housekeeping. So what she is saying is that I can follow the rules and still get dinged! No thanks. I will go 1/2 block up the street to The Grand Lodge. It is much nicer and they assured me that they don't have a smoking police at their establishment.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. You can get a smoking penalty even if you are a non smoker. If the smell is on yo...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

The drive to Cedar Breaks Lodge was wonderful. We booked late in the day online. When we arrived despite my confirmation, they could not find my reservation. After 20 long minutes, we were given a room but by this time all the food places would close in less than 2 hrs! We hustled to our room which was very nicely appointed albeit small. Went to their Bar&Grill and the service took almost an hour! The food was terrible and waay overpriced. The "romantic" fireplace in the bedroom didn't work but maintenance came and fixed it. The area is beautiful but the staff clueless on area tips. Had trouble sleeping,the bed was the most uncomfortable ever!. Paced the room and went back to bed and found a large black spider in my bed! Eventually fell asleep. Next morning I awake feeling nauseous, sat up felt dizzy and passed out, falling off the bed and onto my hand OUCH! Altitude sickness! The resort is the highest in the country at over 10,000 feet! I was in pain and so sick we couldn't get off mountain fast enough. The staff was not helpful to my plight, plus check-out was 10am anyway! Crazy. Don't think I'll be going back there again.

Room Tip: If reserving online, make sure to call ahead to hotel to make sure it was received. E-mail confirmat...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This was our fourth winter stay at Cedar Breaks Lodge in Utah. This place is beautiful and amazing. You can literally walk over to the ski rental shop from the lodge, though if you have kids you can take the 30 second drive to get a little closer. The rooms are gorgeous and roomy. We've had a "slopes" view every time so far. There is a fireplace in each bedroom and jacuzzi tubs in each room. They also have two big whirpools for the public and a big heated pool, all inside of course. And a sauna too! The staff is very nice, friendly and helpful. They have discount coupons for lift tickets and rentals at the front desk. This is a time share place, and we stay for free through my parents, but the two bedrooms are probably worth between two and three hundred a night during ski season. My sister is there right now, during June, and they're having a great time seeing Zion, Bryce, Cedar Breaks, and more. I can't wait to go during the summer, when it should be very inexpensive to rent a room.....

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

To be fair, I'd like to give this 3.5 stars, but I can't... Stayed here after exchanging my timeshare via Interval. All the rooms (from what I could tell) had kitchens.

Positives - staff is incredibly nice and helpful. Anything we needed, they were there, and always a great attitude. Rooms were very clean and nicely decorated. Property is very quiet. We had no major problems during our stay.

Negatives - no feather pillows, anywhere. I understand that some hotels do not put them on the beds due to possible allergies, but usually if you call the front desk, they have some. Not here. Both my husband and I suffered from pretty serious neck pain by the end of our trip, as the pillows (and the bed) were rock hard. All the heating is forced hot air - couple this with 10,000ft elevation, and you've got the driest environment outside the dessert. I had a bloody nose every morning from how dry it was - water radiators rather than forced hot air would solve this problem. The food at the hotel restaurant was really just not good. The wait-staff was incredibly nice and accommodating, but the food was pretty bad. During the off season during the week, there is nowhere to eat breakfast. You can buy frozen stuff at the gift store, or you can go to the grocery store across the street and cook yourself. This would've been ok, but we didn't have cooking utensils (spatula, slotted spoon, etc), so we couldn't even make eggs.

In the peak season, you're probably not spending much time in your room, and these minor annoyances may not be so bad. Though we went out every day, we definitely spent at least 4 waking hours per day in our unit, so these things became tiresome. But the staff is great, the rooms are big and clean, and it's a pretty convenient location, even though it's 11 miles up the side of a mountain on a very windy road.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Cedar Breaks Lodge? Share your experiences!