“Fantastic trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 8 Attractions in Boulder
Type: Tours, Adventure
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: This full-service outfitter leads trips in the Escalante Canyons.
Scotts Valley, California
“Fantastic trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Escalante Canyon Outfitters offers a unique and unforgettable way to experience the natural beauty of Southern Utah's high red rock desert. Grant's knowledge of the geography, history, flora and fauna is unsurpassed. Sue's planning was impeccable. The guides were great. The food superb! The hiking spectacular! This was a thoroughly enjoyable trip that I want to repeat and I highly recommend.

Visited May 2012

East Lansing, Michigan
13 attraction reviews
“Best trip ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

I titled this review "best trip ever" and that is saying a lot. I have been to some incredible places all over the world, but I think this is the one I liked the best. It's probably not for everyone - you have to like to hike and to be a little dirty. But there's no better way to see the Escalante than with Grant Johnson, who just loves this place, knows every inch of it, and takes very good care of you. We went in May, when the wildflowers were out, and it was just so beautiful. Grant and his team set up a camp by the river, stocked by horseback, and from that base camp we spent three days on some spectacular hikes. Our group of 9 or 10 guests were of all different hiking abilities but that worked fine as we split into three groups that went at different speeds. It was wonderful and I'm dying to go back.

michigan
4 attraction reviews
“Highly recommended. A first rate operation, couldn't be better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

We had an outstanding experience with ECO. It's a first-class operation.

We went on a Narrows trip in May as a birthday present to ourselves. We are experienced travelers and are both fit, so we knew that we could plan our own trip if we wanted. However, we are also busy people and knew that we would have a really special trip if we chose the right outfitter.

ECO turned out to be just the right thing. It's a small family-run business that prides itself on creating an exceptional experience for its clients. We had a wonderful time and really felt that they gave us a trip that we could not have organized ourselves. What's special about this company? Probably the guides and the extent to which they work to ensure that there is sense of discovery for each of the guests. Grant and his team know the Escalante area so well and are very experienced at working with guests of all ages and abilities. They are great at pushing you to try new things (like shimmying down sheer rock ledges or walking up rock faces with tiny little footholds), but at the same time supporting you and making you feel safe. I can't say enough about how good these guides are. Real professionals who are natural teachers with the sunniest of personalities. Plus they know this area like the back of their hand. We saw things and did thing we wouldn't have had the confidence to do by ourselves.

ECO has a real knack for picking routes with novel experiences. Our group was on the large side, with 10 guests, of all different fitness levels. During the day we started out on a hike as a large group and then split up after lunch into 3 different groups according to walking pace and interest. Each group had a different program after lunch, but we all felt that they made us try things that we never would have done if we were by ourselves.

So, why would you go on a trip like this? As I said before, you'll have a different experience with them than if you are new to the area and are going to self-guide yourself. Second, these trips are really for people who love to hike, but are sort of "over" having to carry a pack or making all the food and supplies plans themselves. The camps are set up in advance for you, and are supplied by horsepack, so all you have to do is carry your day pack and enjoy yourself. At the end of the day dinner is cooked for you and all the dishes are washed. It's quite a luxury! And a pretty reasonably priced luxury too!

ECO earns high, high marks from me. Well worth your time and your money. Most of us left the canyon thinking about when we could come back for a return trip !

Portland, Oregon
10 attraction reviews
“First Rate Outfitter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

I have been on two trips with ECO--one in October, 2010 (Canyons of the Little Rockies) and a second in May, 2011 (Kayenta Passages). I am eager to go on more--especially Waterpocket Fold. They use horses to bring in gear so you only have to carry a daypack.
They lead the hikes, prepare all the meals, and share their knowledge of the area--old timers' stories, geology, archeology. You sleep in tents. The food is outstanding, the country spectacular. I would recommend ECO without reservation.

Wisconsin
“Best way to see the Escalante”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

I have been on two trips with ECO and I can highly recommend this group to anyone seeking solitude and a true backcountry experience with all the comforts and safety of a guided tour. The areas visited are remote and truly beautiful. The guides have utmost respect for safety and take special care with any guests who need extra help on the hikes. The food and camp life are trememdous. I hope to go on a third trip soon. The guides are all "locals" and they will reassure you with their confidence and skills in the back country, and will make sure you have fun.