“One of the few places to stay” 4 of 5 stars

88 West Center, Blanding, UT 84511 (Formerly Blanding Sunset Inn)   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Blanding
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Corvallis, Oregon
“One of the few places to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed here going from the Needles to Natural Bridges. There is hardly anything in town to eat so you gotta be choosy, Monticello may have been a better choice. The room was fine but insanely small...not sure if they have larger rooms for families. It worked for a solo person, but would have even felt tight for two people. Price was insanely cheap so it was worth it for sure.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed here last week while on a motorcycle trip in SW Utah and I only have good things to report about this place. The couple that own this motel have done a fine job with remodeling and the prices are reasonable. Customer service was excellent, as evidenced by the fact that I checked in around 12 PM the day of my arrival and I was allowed to unload my motorcycle and leave my extra baggage in the room even though it was earlier than usual. Room was clean, warm, and the bed was comfortable.

I would highly recommend this business if you are in need of lodging while in Blanding, Utah.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Pleasanton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I would give A+++ to this lodge. Both Cathy and Craig are very welcoming owners. I reached the lodge and was feeling little unwell. Craig right away drove to his place and bought me mint and cherries. It bought tears in my eyes. Such a warm welcome!!!!
It made my stay very relaxing. They have suites and regular rooms. They have remodeled most of the rooms. Very nicely done with hardwood floors refrigerator, microwave , coffee maker TV, paintings clean bathrooms. Its a very nice and simple property. Room rate was reasonable. God Bless them

Room Tip: I would reserve the suite next time. very reasonable rates.
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The Stone Lizard was an unexpected treat on a several day roadtrip that began for us last week. The owners were still working on the motel when we arrived after 9:00pm. It's clearly a labor of love for them. We loved the outdoor spaces as much as the cozy (king) room. The bed was comfortable and the heater worked great. I'm a light sleeper but slept like a log at the Lizard! We just made a reservation to stay again on our way home in a few days!

Azur, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were so pleasantly surprised to find this place on our trip through southern Utah. It is locally owned and run and the rooms are surprisingly nice with a great affordable rate to go with it. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sun City, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I just stayed over Memorial Day Week-end, so we didn't get one of the completely remodeled rooms, but the room we had was very nice and very clean. This place has the charm that has been lost by the modern chain hotels but has the warmth and great family atmosphere that make you feel like part of the family.
The minute my wife and I walked in to the room and then the bathroom from the 50's we fell in love.
We both love nostalgia and this place took us to our childhood, only with rooms being modern with TV's, refrigerator etc.
Had a great talk with the owner who took me on a tour of completely remodeled room. Super nice.
If you like to go back in time and travel as we did before the interstate system and hotel owners treated you as family, not as a number passing thru, this place is for you.
To the owners, I know you will remember me and how I got along with your dog that like tummy rubs, don't change the bathroom tile. For us old folks this brings back great memories.
Thanks for a great night and the hiking information you gave us.

Room Tip: Ask for a completely remodeled room. They have nice flat screens, and large refrigerators. Only th...
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Blanding is a tough place to be a tourist because there really isn't a lot of infrastructure. Q: Breakfast? A: "Well, the Subway is open at 7am" That ought to give you a sense of what it's like.

The Stone Lizard is a really pleasant surprise. It's a simple strip motel that is in the process of being transformed room by room, detail by detail. We stayed in the family suite one night and in a King room another night. I was impressed by the family suite. If you could see Blanding you'd understand what I am talking about. There just aren't' a lot of options. But I loved the the family suite (bed is super comfortable!). It's clear by the landscaping (tulips in the flower box) and various details in the rooms (big plush red towels in the suite) that the are trying very hard to upgrade this motel, bit by bit. Not all aspects of each room is renovated but they've done a good job of picking and choosing the important things to improve. We stayed in a king room other nights and this was more simple (pictures included) but was clean and had a microwave and frige. Each of the rooms is different I think, with some more improved than others. If you are fussy ask the owners and they will tell you what the room will be like. On the whole the motel is very pleasant and clean.

The owner, Craig, is super pleasant and really helpful about pointing out hikes that only locals know. He's really cut out for this kind of work and he manages to make his motel into more of a B&B experience. He's always there and he loves to talk about the area and to give you very detailed maps (with mileage marks for landmarks so you don't get lost). I can't say enough good things about the hosts. I really admire these owners and I anticipate that this place will continue to get better and better.

As for the sights, Blanding is near Natural Bridges, Canyonlands, and we even took a day trip to Monument Valley. The sights are beautiful. Blanding, however, is not great for tourists. The dining options are really limited. We had dinner at the local steakhouse one day and the new "Italian" restaurant (Old Tymer) another day--the Old tymer was still trying to work out the bugs (they ran out of pasta!) and the steakhouse was kind of amateurish on the weekdays. Only one place makes a "hot breakfast" in town, but its not that great (canned mushrooms, processed ham-like substance). After visiting I really felt like the best option might be to cook for ourselves in Craig's suite or in a campsite out on BLM land.

Room Tip: Ask Craig because all the rooms are different.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Stone Lizard Lodging? Share your experiences!