“Interesting” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 15 Attractions in Blanding
Type: Ancient Ruins, Monuments/ Statues
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Six ancient ruins sites set in a beautiful desert landscape.
Dallas
61 attraction reviews
“Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I only rate it a 3 because for me it was less impressive than some other ruins but very worth the stop. Ah, I'll give it a 4 instead since I like the isolation. I was on my way by motorcycle from Durango to the Moki Dugway and Monument Valley and on to Kayenta, AZ. Was it ever hot. Take water just in case and check your fuel before you head out. There is drinking water there and I had plenty with me. It is really in "Nowhere", Utah. I wasn't sure I'd ever find it. I did have to guess which way to go at least once. But I like these out of the way places most people never see. The visitor's center is nice and the rangers seemed glad to see me. A couple was there in a motorhome and another motorcycle rider came in while I was leaving. The hiking trails did not seem too rough. The trail signage was very good. If you have the time take the hike.

Visited June 2012

Roosevelt, Utah
4 attraction reviews
“I Love Hovenweep!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Visited over Solstice weekend in December 2012; the park was frozen and had plenty of snow but the visit was still as memorable as other times I've been there. The Park Service has done a wonderful job making this area easier to get to, and the ruins themselves are amazing. If you're really into ancestral Puebloan ruins you must visit!

Visited December 2012
Dove Creek, Colorado
“school field trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I took 22 3rd graders to Hovenweep on a field trip. The ranger was very helpful, kind, and did a 20-30 minute presentation. The walk around the loop of ruins takes about 1 hour and is fairly easy. Beautiful place!

Visited April 2012
Idaho
25 attraction reviews
“I'd go back if I were in the area....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Intersting ruins site. We only had about an hour to explore, but I would return if I were in the area. Not a destination trip unless you're really into ruins, but a good stop while seeing other things.

Visited April 2012
Arizona
10 attraction reviews
“Towering achievement”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This monument is well worth seeing even though it is somewhat remote. There are a number of beautifully constructed stone structures that can be viewed with a short hike from the Visitors Center. There is a "path" around the canyon that takes you closer to the buildings. However, the path is over the native rock and is not wheel chair accessible. The structures were built around 1200 bce and were obviously built by talented craftsmen. For example, there is a tower at the head of the canyon that sits on a purposely built- up base of soil enclosed by a four sided wall. Unlike other early sites, the structures at Hovenweep are on the canyon rim or floor, not built in alcoves or overhangs.

Visited October 2012