“Superb Destination Hotel/spa” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Big Water
New York
“Superb Destination Hotel/spa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Incredibel amenities, service and atmosphere. Very good inventive food. One of the best resorts I have ever visited. Fabulous for lovers of outdoor activites who enjoy being pampered after a long day of hiking, climbing.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I have never thought the desert can be beautiful but this place changed my mind. As usual loved the Aman architecture and 'sense of place'. The hotel is not obtrusive and has a very quiet elegance to it. Looking out at the brilliant stars at night was meditative. Staff is very friendly and the General Manager and his wife was beyond gracious. That said, service at the restaurant can be inconsistent which is contrary to the Aman reputation but it didn't bother us. Take it as growing pains and enjoy the views. Losing it and yelling at the servers and the kitchen staff because your bowl of berries was late is not worth it (did provide us with a major scene to watch whilst having breakfast though).
Great hiking activities. Luxurious, spacious room with great layout.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I am not sure where to start. Start to finish, everything taken care of and everything well appointed. What was more of a delight was the cuisine as I am vegetarian and the chef was able to accommodate my needs. I am so glad we went with the Desert pool suite just for the added convenience of not having to deal with the pool, although it did not seem that crowded. As much as I have traveled, I have to say their spa is one of the nicest in regards to layout and offering. If you need to remove yourself and let go, I highly advise you make your reservation. I am looking forward to Aman Bali and Sri Lanka. The starts and back, I say! A special thank you to Theresa, our host.

Room Tip: If you value privacy and like to enjoy more quiet bathing area, book the Mesa or Desert Pool suite...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Parkland, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We went to Aman for the first time with very high expectations. We were not disappointed with facilities, rooms and cleaningness but the restaurant is quite bellow expectations. The menu was very short, portions small to the extreme and wine selection very poor. We were planning to stay for 5 nights but left in 3 nights.
The boat tour on Lake Powell was excellent and we also did some interesting hiking in the surroundings.

• Stayed May 2014
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed at Amangiri for 2 nights/3 days in the middle of our week long Sedona vacation. The drive from Arizona was beautiful and when we arrived in the vicinity across the Utah boarder, it certainly became a bit of a struggle finding the resort. You are only given directions to the location once you are booked and pre-paid. Despite those directions, we had trouble finding the main turnoff that takes you to their private road. They can't be found on GPS.

Any stress that we had finding our way immediately went away the second we arrived. Having just come from Antelope Canyon, we were dusty and tired and hot. We pulled up and were greeted by the Assistant GM and a service provider who welcomed us by name. (Its a small property and they specialize and celebrate the small details). They took our keys and invited us into the property. We were immediately greeted with an ice cold towel and a sage lemonade. (nice touch). As they proceeded to give us a tour of the property, amenities, spa, services, etc - we ended up in the room that we booked. When we entered, all of our luggage had already been brought into the suite and put away in the dressing area. (HOME RUN!).

This is a 6 star resort and every detail has been thought of. All of your needs are anticipated. It is worth mentioning that there is no reason to leave this resort. They have their own hiking trails (a highlight) and activities that will keep you entertained. If you are looking to go to the surrounding National Parks, this is not the place for you. The resort is designed to cater and pamper you and deliver you complete relaxation. The spa is world class.

The food, service and amenities are extraordinary and they have to be experienced to be believed.

The departure, like the arrival, was equally impressive. The thoughtfulness each and every team member exercises is staggering. As we left the property, we immediately noticed that our car was wiped down, cold waters and driving directions to our next destination awaited and you were personally thanked and assisted into the car. The genuine nature of the service is what really won me over. This was my first stay in an AMAN RESORT and it certainly won't be my last. I plan on returning to Amangiri again next year.

Room Tip: Honestly, there is not a bad room at this resort. We booked a Mesa Suite and loved it. All offer g...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

So I'll start with what was pretty bad about the experience- I had booked several months in advance and low and behold two days after the heavy 30 day no refund policy had kicked in there has been a situation that had made me need to cancel the reservation. After I was told I couldn't, I made a few phone calls and much to my dismay was told I could cancel bit would lose all of my money. So reluctantly I went. Luckily two days before I arrived at this remote location I decided to call and just confirm everything was okay. Again, to my dismay they had cancelled my booking and given my room to another guest, also my funds had been "lost". When I demanded a room they said there was only one left and it was a downgrade. I asked for my money back and again I was declined. So, being on holiday from Australia I decided to bite the bullet and accept the fact that it is what it is. The money that I had left over from the downgrade was used as a credit at the hotel for dinner and such so it wasn't too bad.
Now, onto the good. Can I just say that as much as I just ranted and raved about my misfortune to start with it was all literally swept under the rug and forgotten about when you get to this desert palace. The service was beyond amazing. The food exquisite. The location beautiful and solitary. We had just come from a double whammy of coachella and Vegas and needed the downtime and boy did we get it. Even though the hotel was supposedly full it was as if you were the only person there. Definitely a recommendation if you want to feel like you're in a palace by yourself. Thanks amangiri, even though we were just passing through you provided an amazing experience and we will be back for longer next time! :)

• Stayed April 2014
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I agree with many of the positive comments made about the Amangiri in other reviews. The setting is definitely the star. Our hikes on property were a highlight, as well as select tours we did of the area.

Be warned, though, this location is not convenient to the national parks. They are all a 2+ hour drive away. In the summer, this absorbs the best time of the day when you would want to visit the parks as they are all 90-100+ degrees by the afternoon. So unless you are planning to fly to and from each destination, I wouldn't recommend it...at least in the summer.

As for the room decor, I'm not so sure about the industrial looking concrete walls Please note, too, that there is no privacy whatsoever in the rooms, not even for the shower. When sliding the door to the bathroom, you encounter a loud, metallic creaking noise. Not conducive to sleep. We were hoping to spend time at night on the patio, but each night were driven inside by either strong wind or the local wildlife.

As for the service, there were some missteps that you just don't expect at such a high end property. The housekeeping department lost some of our clothes that we sent to the laundry, and it took multiple efforts to resolve the situation. The service in the dining room is extremely leisurely, which is fine most of the time but not when you are hoping to finish breakfast in less than an hour. The food was generally good, but one night, after waiting over an hour for our main course, my husband was served an inedible filet mignon. Not quite sure how they managed that. The portion sizes were also fairly inconsistent, and tended to be very small. My son ordered the cheesecake, and was served a bite sized round about the size of a quarter.

I should note that the property now has a new manager on site, so I predict that the service issues some mentioned below will continue to improve.

This property is best for a short getaway for a couple. 2-3 days max.

Room Tip: The mesa view and desert view rooms are identical, except for the view. The view of the desert is b...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Amangiri? Share your experiences!