“One of A Kind Experience (with one small complaint)” 5 of 5 stars

Amangiri
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Kayenta Road, Canyon Point, Big Water, UT 84741   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Big Water
Chicago
“One of A Kind Experience (with one small complaint)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stumbled upon Amangiri after browsing the Aman website to inquire about the Turks and Caicos location. I was intrigued that there was a prestigious Aman resort (there are I think two) right here in the U.S. so we decided to book it. Unfortunately a lot of the national parks were closed due to the government shut down (thanks a lot). But there was still plenty to do even with the closures.

Like the website says, Amangiri picks you up free of charge from the Page, AZ airport. Shortly after booking, the hotel sent an email inquiring about our flight info. The hotel is a 20 min. stunning drive from the airport. Once we arrived at the hotel, we were given a brief tour of the grounds. The host told us that you would never know the hotel was sold out except for at the restaurant at dinner because you never see anybody during the day, and we found this to be true. We had a Meza view suite and the views from the patio and bathtub were amazing. The room was very clean, and even though it was more modern than cozy, the bed was so fluffy and comfy and after a long day of hikes and tours you do not want to leave it. My ONLY complaint of the hotel was that on two different nights we had bugs in our room. The first day we had a fairly large beetle in the bathroom, and the third night we had three large similar type bugs. When we called on the third night to have someone come and spray the room, the gentleman who answered the phone somewhat rudely said "we are in the middle of the desert". He clearly did not know my fear of bugs and spiders, but I would have thought when you are spending $$$$ a night that they would at least pretend to be a little sympathetic. However, he did send the engineer promptly to spray our room. The engineer said that it is not very common to see bugs, but it does happen. If you go, I *highly* recommend keeping your doors completely closed at all times so no bugs can crawl in... just in case. The rest of the staff was very attentive and friendly. If a staff member did not know you they introduced themselves and then called you by name every time after making you feel welcome.

As far as the location and hotel grounds, there is nothing like this around. Everywhere you look there is a breathtaking view. I think I took over 400 pictures in total, but pictures do not do this place justice. There are several different hikes on property ranging from .75 miles to 4 miles for those who have little experience. They also free offer daily group hikes at 8am and 5pm. On the 5pm hikes you can catch beautiful views of the sunset from the top of a meza and the 8am goes to an ancient cave where they filmed the 80s movie Broken Arrow. The only hikes that require a guide are the ones that involve lots of climbing and the use of harnesses. Whether we hiked alone or in group, we never saw anybody else on any of the trails. It is very secluded. They do offer off site private activities, but they are all very expensive. We did a private tour to the slot canyons where they have their own private areas of the canyons so there is no crowding. We saw many tour buses filled with people passing us and it was nice to have just us and the guide.

My biggest surprise was how good the food was after reading all the negative reviews. I think the best advice I could give to the hotel would be to change your menus daily. Even if that means splitting the current menu in two to give the illusion of change and something to be excited for, I think the guests would appreciate a change. When you travel to a remote place you rely on the hotel restaurant and it's disappointing to see the same menu night after night. However, with that said everything we tried was fantastic. And even though the menu did not change, they still offered a bit of variety. It is wise to make reservations to specify what table you would like such as outside on the pool patio, by the fireplace, etc. One day we borrowed the 6 series BMW (which was awesome!- they let you use in 4 hour increments) and drove to Page, AZ to see the horseshoe bend and found a pizzeria and a few other small restaurants and hotels that guests could visit if they want something different and/or cheap.

The pool is warm during the colder months and cold during the summer. It was at 86 degrees when we stayed in October. I could have just spent every day at the pool, but there is too much to do. But it was nice to just sit near the pool and have morning tea and cappuccinos. The spa is beautiful and they have some creative (but expensive) treatments. Even if you don't book a treatment you can still use the amenities (sauna, steam room, step pool, etc.) which are all very private and only one time did we run into another guest while using them.

I wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone thinking about going. Overall, it seems like a lot to pay for just the hotel, but when you are there you see why. It is not very well known so it feels very private, and will make you feel like you traveled thousands of miles to an exotic place, instead of Utah.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The setting is dramatic and the facilities are truly beautiful...However, the service was disappointing from start to finish. The hotel staff forgot to mention that they offered airport transfers -- which would have been really nice to know about since the place is very remote and we had a real hassle arranging our transp.... When we arrived, it was chilly (unseasonably cold and rainy) and they gave us cold towels and iced drinks as a welcome. (While a nice gesture, it was truly thoughtless...)
Our inexperienced hotel greeter then pointed out the amenities in our room (pointing out stationary for writing letters???!!) and gave us a very inaccurate overview of the property (didnt know the architect or any history...#lame). The person also mentioned that the hotel discreetly records guest preferences (a standard at most good hotels...) and I ate multiple meals and had many of the same serves at the restaurant and not once did anyone recall any of my preferences. It's a small thing, but it makes a visit memorable and makes a guest feel welcome. Speaking of the food, it was overly fussy and not at all extraordinary...(fortunately, you can modify and order whatever you want.)
The spa, while stunning, had mediocre service providers. The sensory depravation/floatation tank didn't work and the therapist was no where to be found. I had to walk outside in my skivvies to find some help. It was a disaster experience. The tours/hikes are ridiculously priced and not all that great. We hiked on our own.
Upon our departure, the hotel packed our car (nice touch) except they lost our hiking shoes...And since we were going to Moab and to another park post visit, it posed a real problem.
We chose this hotel based on brand and reputation. We assumed (incorrectly) that a property at this price point and pedigree would truly blow us away... Instead, we were truly underwhelmed. We had a really disappointing experience and it was all service based. I am sure that with some care and training, that can be fixed. I just wont be back to find out -- I will however check back and read updates.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Some of the most discerning travellers, and a good percentage at that, are from California, Nevada and surrounding areas.
So it makes sense to have a camp of folks ready to serve. And that they do, Amangiri does have a small sustainable village for staff near the compound ousting staff. I can understand how some travellers express disappointment when it comes to service. Other locations around the world, service is clairvoyant. Not intrusive but immediately there when you need it. The Chinese do a good job of this. So do the south Western Asia and India. However, I did not encounter any service issues during my stay. To amans credit not only do staff get to spend time at a sister property, but also, some elite staff come to Aman to train.
I agree though it has to be a way of life, not forced.

Lunch was fantastic, pool amazing, rooms very private, and the BMW x5 ride pick up from a neighbouring state was a nice touch. Although admittedly a fam trip, Aman shone through.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The View's and the Architecture are the best I have experienced. We found the hotel lacking in general management. The room was not clean, dirt and trash under the built in furniture you can see while laying in bed. The pool area was not picked up or cleaned after guest left around 6pm. Many people were still enjoying the pool and there was not a clean towel or lounge to be found. We enjoyed the staff, they were helpful and very kind. The food was uneven, my husbands dish was fresh and simple, but my fish was frozen and flavorless. Hotel Manger does not seem to have and eye for details.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The Amangiri is an amazing hotel ; the architecture is stunning, the location makes it a one of a kind hotel. Rooms are beautiful, very large, the outdoor area opening directly on the, almost endless, stunning landscape is breath taking. Bathrooms are just awesome, double showers, bathtub, a lot of space for your personal belongings and very large closets. Complimentary minibar. The pool is a must see. We went to the spa, didn't have treatments, but enjoyed the steamroom and sauna (both just beautiful), there's a small pool to relax by, very quiet and relaxing. This is a place where you can really forget everything and unwind. The overall feel is very zen like. We took a pilates class, hikes, did a via ferrata, a boat tour, paddle boarding, their teachers and guides are knowledgable, attentive and very professional. There are many great activities you can do.The muted tones of the whole complex, reminiscent of the colors you see in the surroundings, the gorgeous interior decoration...really if you can splurge, it's worth the experience !!
The only downsides : everyone was friendly and helpful, yet the staff is sometimes a bit "green" and not up to a five star hotel level. The food is mostly a disappointment, just average, again not what you'd expect in a five star hotel and you really have no other choice but the hotel's restaurant around (breakfast is fine). We spoke to the assistant manager about it and he said it's difficult to find the right people to work all the way out there !! I can only imagine and I give it a five star rating in spite of those 2 weak points, which they are very aware of and working to improve.

Room Tip: I don't think there are bad rooms there ! The desert suites are quiet, they are huge, we liked s...
Framingham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was one of the many hotels we stayed in while crossing the country ( twice). It's outstanding by many means, but also because it's so hard to find: we drove by the small sign twice and no GPS could help us. The greetings, offers of water and cold towels, check in and luggage handling were all above and beyond. The location, the desert, the view were all absolutely superb. The room was very specious with patio and tremendous bathroom and a complimentary minibar was a nice touch. Bed was heavenly, but bedside lams were impossible to use and lighting everywhere was insufficient (no such a thing as reading in the bathroom)! And to walk to the dining room you'll need a flashlight. The dining room is very dark as well, no tablecloths even for dinner and food was absolutely the lowest point of the stay ( like a very soggy French toast staffed with equally soggy strawberry)! The service was absolutely amazing everywhere, personable, friendly and very helpful.
The room, I wanted to say 'the bunker" was colors of desert and very comfortable, but not a cozy place.

Room Tip: I guess all the rooms have spectacular desert views
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

For my birthday in September 2013 I planned a bucket list trip to Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park- both a few short hours away from Amangiri. I was incredibly impressed with the generosity, knowledge and friendliness of the staff and was completely surprised by how they went above and beyond to make my birthday special. If you have a desire to explore the local hikes I recommend having a conversation with Dan and/or Cullen. The photos of the Amangiri Suite on the website do not do it justice- it was stunning! The resort's pools leave nothing to be desired and the candlelight glow in the evening is so romantic. In a word the resort and it's views are enchanting. This is the perfect destination if you seek relaxation or romance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Amangiri? Share your experiences!