“Good hotel - unprofessional staff” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Woodway
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Good hotel - unprofessional staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

We stayed at the La Quinta Hotel in Woodway (Waco, TX) this past weekend. My family had stayed there once before and we were all really impressed with the place. (In fact, we've also stayed at the Hilton downtown and we were more impressed with this La Quinta because it's a newer building with modern decor and the amenities are better.) Well, that's changed now. In fact, we won't be staying at the Woodway La Quinta ever again. And since we travel to Waco regularly, this means that this La Quinta has just lost returning customers - which means missing out on thousands of dollars in future revenue.

First thing in the morning on Sunday 5/29/2011, I was at the crowded breakfast bar putting food on my plate. A member of staff came up behind me and loudly and aggressively lectured me on how I SHOULD be putting the food on my plate. Why me? The breakfast area was full of people and I'm sure not all of them were experts at piling food on to their plates.

If this member of staff had any warmth or sense of humor about the whole thing, I wouldn't have minded. But she didn't - I got lectured. And I did not pay $100+ a night to get a lecture. It was completely unnecessary, and that has never happened to me at any hotel I've stayed at worldwide - and I've travelled a lot.

If it was so important to her, maybe she should have been serving the food to each guest herself? Oh no, that's right - she wouldn't have had time to do that because she had to go through the door behind the breakfast bar and loudly gossip in Spanish with her friend. She might want to remember that some guests speak Spanish too. Not professional.

Later I went to the front desk to ask for a comment card. I was told there were none. Just like, apparently, there are no DO NOT DISTURB signs for any of the hotel room doors. What quality hotel doesn't have these things? For a hotel charging as much as it does, these things should be common courtesies.

When we came down to check out, no one was at the front desk. We waited there for a while and heard a loud cackle emanate from the general vicinity of the breakfast area. Then a guy came to the front desk in a leisurely fashion, glanced at our bill and said that we were already checked out and could go.

Look - I know sometimes people don't want to be at work and they resent customers. I've worked in customer service for years, so I can empathize. But openly showing one's hostility or apathy is not the best way to get the job done. It can alienate customers, who can and will go with a competing brand.

• Stayed May 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

The staff here is extremely helpful, and even remembered me from when I stayed there a year before. I travel with my dog, and this hotel is ideal for him and me. Clean, good breakfast, often with a free happy hour in the evenings. A very top La Quinta!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Applescruff1981
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

I stayed here for one night as I was participating in the March of Dimes the next morning, as well as visiting friends in the area. Everything was very clean, and the fellow at the desk was friendly. The room was spotless and breakfast was very good and fulfilling. I really enjoyed their eggs! It is on the outskirts, so much as anything in Waco can be on the outskirts, but close to a shopping mall and lots of restaraunts, and right off a major freeway but not noisy at all.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Killeen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

I stayed here for one night while traveling for business. I was a repeat guest as I have stayed here before, but did not review the the hotel last time.

Pro's- Very clean and comfortable place to stay.

Con's-Everything seemed up to par as far as cleanliness and amenities. However, I did have a bad experience with the maid staff which I hope has been resolved for future travelers..otherwise, no con's.
(I requested late check out with the evening staff due to a early business meeting and the desk said it would not be a problem. The next day, after getting up extremely early, I had some time to lay down and rest before traveling again. Around "normal checkout time" the maid knocked at the door. I answered the door and the maid seemed quite upset I was not gone. I told her I had requested late check out and she said it was not noted. I laid down again figuring I could squeeze in a power nap, but fifteen minutes later, I was woke up by extreme knocking. When I answered this time it was the maid again and she asked why I had not gone. I called the front desk what was going on and they said they had my late check out noted and apologized for the persistent maid. Out of frustration, I got dressed and left.)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Cheyenne, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

I would highly recommend this hotel, it is new facility with womderful staff. Everyone was helpful, tis rooms are large and gym is great. The wifi is a little slow

• Stayed February 2011
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

This hotel is a find! Friendly front desk staff, good breakfast, and most importantly, quiet and comfortable rooms! This hotel is less than 2 years old and it looks like it. The bed had a wonderful mattress, everything was clean and comfortable. Best of all, if you are traveling with your pet, they do not charge extra. They do ask that you sign a form agreeing to pay up to $250 in damages if your pet trashes the room. That seemed fair to me as the same policy applies to people who smoke in the room (another plus, a totally non-smoking hotel). Two thumbs way up!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
javera1961, Public Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Woodway - Waco South, responded to this review, January 4, 2011
Thank you for the wonderful review. We are happy to hear we succeeded in making your stay a success! We're proud of our hotel and try hard to make all our guest feel like guests in our own home. Please come visit again soon.
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

I stayed here with my sister while visiting an aged Aunt I travel a reasonable amount and generally stay in the upper chain hotels I chose to stay here because of the close vicinity to my Aunt and was not disappointed I have never experienced the type of service and attitude which we got from here! A social thank you to Maurice and Rosea for all your directions! You kept us from going around in a circle! We were greeted with smiles and "how was your dinner, visit etc" upon returning from time out What a refreshing experience to see people actually enjoying their job
Because of this experience the La Quinta chain will be my choice in the future

• Stayed December 2010
javera1961, Public Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Woodway - Waco South, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
Thank you so much for your great review! It's nice to know what we're doing right and where we can make improvements. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope too see you again soon.

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Woodway - Waco South? Share your experiences!