“Fun Weekend in Wimberley!” 5 of 5 stars

Square Inn
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   110 Oak Drive, Wimberley, TX 78676   |
Ranked #5 of 19 Wimberley B&B and Inns
Missouri City, Texas
“Fun Weekend in Wimberley!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed in Wimberley this weekend (President's Day). Our daughter is attending Texas State University in San Marcos and we were visiting her. We decided to try a place in Wimberley instead of San Marcos this time. As noted by others previously, it is not the most impressive looking place from the outside but it is well kept and the inside is very nice. Our room was well furnished, the bed was comfortable and it was clean. Marci, (the owner) is very friendly. We enjoyed talking to her while eating breakfast on both mornings that we were there. Breakfast was good and included pastries, pouched eggs with cheese/bacon on English muffins, French Toast, German potato pancakes, fruit, coffee, yogurt and juice. Breakfast was served between 8 and 10.

Marci mentioned that the Inn is still somewhat a work in progress and that she is planning to do some more upgrades soon. In fact, she is closing up for a few days at the end of this month to upgrade the heating/ac system, make improvements in the courtyard and add soundproofing material to the walls between the rooms.

The location is awesome - within steps of the square shops and restaurants. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and will go back again.

Room Tip: There are only 6 rooms a the Inn - some bigger than others. I am pretty sure one is two bedrooms...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I were in the area for a wedding and stayed one Saturday night in mid January. One thing that had us choosing this B&B was the price range and the fact you did not have to stay two nights over the weekend. As another reviewer said, from the outside the Inn does not look like much, but the inside is very nice and clean with a comfy cozy feel to it. We stayed in the Keegan room which we found very spacious with a little kitchenette. The Kitchenette was a bit random but it did not take away from the overall comfortable feel of the room. We found the bed to be quite comfortable but if you are one who likes firmer beds, this would not be the room for you. The hot water did not last long in the shower and there was only one tiny bottle of shampoo. Also, it was not hard to hear the TV and voices from the next room which shared a door with our room. The expanded continental breakfast in the morning was more than we were expecting and found it to be nice and better than spending more money at one of the square restaurants. The in is just steps from the square and was quite nice for leaving the car and walking. I had a question before out trip so e-mail and phoned a number of times but never got a response so that was a minus on the overall service. All and all I would recommend this inn and we would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night in January for a weekend getaway.
The Square Inn really doesn't make a good impression from the outside at all. I would not have ever considered staying there if I hadn't seen pictures of the inside on TripAdvisor and the Square Inn Website.

Our room was spacious and nicely decorated. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. It was just a few steps from Wimberly Square which was really nice.
The weather was perfect, so if it didn't have A/C I didn't notice. We did use the ceiling fan.
BUT if you stay there, be aware, there is no bath soap, shampoo (unless you go to the desk and ask for shampoo....but no bath soap) and no hair dryer. There was liquid hand soap at the bathroom sink so we used that.

The owner was very nice and friendly!

They served a continental breakfast but we didn't eat there.
Our stay was very nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed at the Square Inn last weekend and really enjoyed myself. It's located right off the shopping square, so I could walk to all the stores. It was also close by several good restaurants.

My room was large, comfortable, clean, and very nice. I even had a kitchenette.

The owner and her family were warm and friendly, and very helpful.

I will recommend this Inn to all my friends!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
San Angelo, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed one night 12-8-12 at The Square Inn due to a family wedding being held in nearby Dripping Springs. Very few B&B's in the area allow 1 night stays which helped us make our decision.

PROS: The rooms were extremely spacious, the bed was very comfortable and the whole place was very well kept and clean. It doesn't make a big impression from the front but it's what's inside that matters. It was within walking distance of the Wimberly Square which was really nice. We got to participate in the Winter bazar whatever they call it a litte before we left for the wedding and a little after our return. The Wimberly Cafe is also within walking distance and they served an extremely pleasant and hearty breakfast the next morning before our departure. Our family had 3 rooms at the Inn and it was extremely quiet and peaceful.

Cons: No hairdryer in the room so my hair was a fright to deal with the morning we were leaving. I rarely pack a hairdryer these days since most all hotels provide them. Very little shampoo/soap, which was also a bit of a surprise since we had not packed for this. We arrived at 2:30 and the rooms were not ready. Fortunately, we had a very short wait, they were ready at 3:00 because our wedding was at 4:00 and we had to change clothes and make the drive to the Memory Lane Event Center. We made it but it was a little worrisome for a bit. I had gone to great lengths to ensure there would not be any problem with out getting access to the room almost 2 months before our stay when I made the reservations so this was a little annoying. We knew our timeline would be tight which is why I verified we would be able to have access to the rooms no later than 2:00 pm. It all worked out but if you're planning on staying here, don't plan on getting into your room early. They told us they normally allow check-ins anytime between 3-6 PM. Wow, 6PM for a check-in, at the rate we paid for the room I would have been very upset if we had not been allowed to check in until 6:00 PM, wedding or not.

There is no individual a/c or heat in the rooms. There is A/C but the units serve multiple rooms and guests are not allowed to change the thermostat. So if you are cold natured or hot natured it could serve to be a very uncomfortable stay. There are ceiling fans which served our needs well but the temperature during our stay was very mild. In the summer I can't imagine how that would work.

The owner was extremely nice and friendly!

They served a continental breakfast around 7:00 with cinnamon rolls, Keurig coffee, oatmeal, yogurt, and fresh fruit which was all very nice but we went to the Wimberly Cafe next door to get something hot.

All in all our stay was very nice and it depends on what your trip objective is. If you don't have a schedule to meet, you want to participate in the area shops and/or restaurants, your not concerned about the heating/cooling, I'd say this would be a great option especially because you can walk to almost anything Wimberly has to offer. Our stay was nice and we enjoyed it all, however, for the sake of future travelers, I've written this review stating all the issues we encountered that could make a big difference to some travelers which is why I wanted to tell it all. I rely on the tripadvisor reviews before I plan my trips so for them to be as factual and unbiased as possible and give as much info as possible is important or otherwise they aren't much help.

Happy traveling......!

Room Tip: We had 3 rooms and all we pretty equal. Some had beds that were really tall for the room with the l...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This place is in a great location and the bed was comfy and the room was quiet. The only issue I had was that there was no soap in the bathroom and no floor mat to step on after getting out of the shower.
The room we were in had a sink and small refrigerator but the sink was a bit untidy. The blinds in the room were adequate and the ceiling fan kept it cool with the window AC unit turned on low. The front door is a bit tricky with the code but all in all a good value for the money, just need to get the bathroom up to speed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Wimberley Square Inn is one of the very few places in Wimberley that does not have a minimum two-night stay. I searched for about an hour and called around and almost all the B&B’s there require two-nights. Square Inn is more like a hotel rather than a B&B and is in a perfect location (walking distance to all the shops and restaurants). The price and location are perfect for a weekend or one-night getaway. The innkeeper was very helpful and nice, while at the same time, she gave us our privacy. We stayed in the Lauran room, and had a private entrance, a king size bed, as well as flat screen TV in the room. The room was very clean and breakfast & coffee were served early in the main house. Very basic breakfast: Fruit, waffles, coffee, danishes etc. If you want a full breakfast you can walk over to the Café. I highly recommend this place

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Square Inn? Share your experiences!