“Fantastic as usual and even better the fourth time around” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blair House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wimberley
Blair House Inn
You added Blair House Inn to your Saves list
100 W Spoke Hill Dr, Wimberley, TX 78676   |
Ranked #1 of 19 Wimberley B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Fantastic as usual and even better the fourth time around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

Our stay at the Blair House Inn was great again ! We have stayed a total of four times and every time has been better than the last. I recommend the Blair House to any one who is just looking to get away, go mountain biking and shopping for art, looking for good conversations, eager to visit the great out doors and eat the best food ever, whether its breakfast or dinner. The Hosts are fabulous and entertaining as well as gracious toward all guests of all ages. We love the way we felt after spending the very first day with Mike and Vicki and now we go there any chance we get. It is like a home away from home.

• Liked — The Hosts.
  • Disliked — Not enough time to stay longer.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Baton Rouge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2007

This upscale bed and breakfast is hosted by Mike and Vickie Schneider, who are gracious and helpful hosts. Blair House is nestled in the Hill Country on the outskirts of Wimberley, which means Austin, Fredericksburg, and New Braunfels are within easy driving distance.
We stayed in the San Antonio room--check out the rooms on the website. An excellent and creative 5-course meal was served by their gourmet chef Saturday night--people drive in from all over for these Saturday nights dinners. The same chef, Mark, makes lovely breakfasts each day, too.
The Schneiders will book you a massage, which both my husband and I enjoyed. After a day of visiting the surrounding towns, it was great to come back to the Blair House and find a tray on our bed with a bottle of wine and a delicious dessert.
This is a place for couples or friends to gather--not a place for kids. Leave them with the grandparents and have a romantic getaway!

• Liked — low-key, private, but attentive staff when wanted
  • Disliked — pool needs some shade
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

First class Hill Country large manor house and cottages, wine and dessert in room waiting for us after a day of Hill Country exploring and shopping, Mike runs this place like a 5 star hotel with attention to everything...especially the gourmet food at both breakfast and dinner...even gave us directions for a short scenic bike ride in the neighborhood along back country paths, and provided the bikes...and then gave us recommendations for the local wineries and restaurants and Hill County honky-tonk bars......the best BnB I've ever stay at, and I've been to a lot of them....Michael Bell, Houston

• Liked — Attention to excellent food and service
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2007
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2007

I went to Wimberley a few weeks ago by myself for a couple of days of peace and relaxation from what has been a very painful and stressful time in my life. When I arrived at The Blair House, I should have known what I was in for when noone was there to welcome me. Finally one of the owners appeared. He showed me around, then said they had upgraded me to a different room on the back of the house. Well, I soon discovered that was so they could have access to the attic stairs, because they were replacing an air conditioning unit! The unit right behind my "upgraded room"! Yes, the hammering went on non-stop every morning and afternoon, just when I had planned on reading and napping. I have seen every shop in Wimberley a hundred times and don't care to see them again, I just wanted to relax.

If I had had somewhere else to go, I would have asked for my money back and left! What really made me mad is that everyone else was out in the cottages, and probably could not hear the hammering. They could have easily moved me to a cottage, it was midweek and they were nowhere near full! I guess they would rather a cottage sit empty than lose $100 a night by "upgrading" me!

My husband & I have stayed in many B&B's over the years, and we have never had an owner knock on our door and ask us when we are coming to breakfast. However, that is exactly what happened here. Vicky Schneider knocked on my door after a sleepless night and asked if I was coming to breakfast. Normally at a B&B, if you don't show up, you don't eat.

This place is going downhill fast since these new owners have taken over!

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2007

My friends and I just returned from the Blair House Inn and sadly we did not feel so welcome. When I booked our room I told Mike that we were coming for a wedding. He said he had already booked two other rooms for my friend's wedding and to tell others that they would not accept any other people from the wedding. He stated that they are known for their Saturday night dinner and they make less money accepting wedding groups since the wedding groups are always at the reception on Saturday night's. I felt like he did not have to tell me all of that information. During check-in we were shown our room and Howard and Oliver (cats that live at the inn) came into our room we were told to keep them out because other people staying there in the future might have allergies. However while eating breakfast one morning the inn’s dog walks around the breakfast area and freely roams around the guest. I later walked through the kitchen and the dog was lying in the kitchen floor. I wondered about people who might have those allergies they mentioned earlier. Also is it that clean to have a dog in the kitchen? The seven of us that stayed for the weekend always felt unwelcome because during our stay we each got a taste of "wedding groups are not something we usually like to have here". This negative vibe that we got was from the owner Mike. He really tries very hard to make the other guest feel welcome. They were mostly twice our age which seems to attract to this inn. We were just not his regular clientele. The Austin Cottage was clean and had a great view of the hills. The theme is jungle but it is not consistent throughout the room. It does not have that cozy feel to it. When checking out I met Vicki and she was a delight and Christopher the server was also very nice. If you are not in Wimberley for a wedding you MIGHT have a nice visit at the Blair House Inn but if you are there for a wedding run to another place to stay. The only thing that made us feel welcome was Howard and Oliver.

• Liked — good location
  • Disliked — the service
  • Stayed April 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2006

I wanted to take the opportunity to make you aware of a situation that occurred at an Inn found on your site.

My wife has had a pretty rough couple months so I was interested in giving her a stress free weekend consisting of nothing but peace and quite. I booked a weekend at the Blair House Inn, Wimberly Texas. It was quite expensive but the inn’s site was more than enough to entice me to make the reservation. It looked perfect! And it was, for the first night. Unfortunately the stress free weekend came to a screeching halt on Saturday night with the simple ring of my cell phone. The Blair House Inn offers a pricey gourmet meal service on Saturday, but my wife and I had opted to spend the evening in a nearby city, enjoying each others company. On the other end of my cell phone were the owners, Mike and Vickie Schneider. They were calling to inform us that they had been holding dinner for us and to ask when they could expect us to get back.

I quickly replied that we made no such plans to attend dinner. That didn’t stop them from insisting earlier in the week I had made reservations, made meal modifications for my wife (she is vegetarian) and then confirmed during check-in. Unfortunately none of those events occurred, as my wife and I were both out of town for the week before the stay. I do suspect that Mike and Vickie were mistaking us for another vegetarian couple staying at the Blair House Inn the same nights we were. Furthermore, our reservation confirmation email quite clearly indicated that no meals were included in the bill.

That evening when we got back to the inn I approached the owner, Mike Schneider, with a copy of our confirmation email indicating no meals; an email he sent us. He then produced a copy of his records indicating that we made reservations and later confirmed them. I relayed that our calendar prevented any of that from happening, but Mike didn’t want to hear it. In classic passive aggressive style, Mike could not admit that he, or his staff, made a mistake. He went so far as to tell me that he believes that “customers are not always right” and then questioned the honesty of my wife and I. I suspect that Mike thought that since we were about half the age of the typical guest we deserved half the respect.

Needless to say the stress free weekend was over. My wife was crying, and I was infuriated! If it hadn’t been for the 3 1/2 hour drive home we would have left that evening. As it was, we stayed that night and quickly packed and departed early the next morning. The only silver lining I can see is that there was no charge for the missed evening meals.

The Blair House Inn boasts of its hospitality and service. I guess we were staying at a different inn! I hope that you can share this experience with others, so that all prospective guests know of the indifference and disrespect that are propagated by the owners.

Brian & Susan

• Stayed April 2006
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2005

The Blair House is a true rarity. Lovely grounds, cozy ambience, impeccable service and truly delicious food all in one. This is a wonderful place to stay if you are looking for solitude, rest and relaxation. The pool and hot tub are sparkling and quiet, the rooms are large and gracious and the bathtubs are to die for. Each evening, the owners or staff deliver a superb dessert and glasses of wine to your room. We will definitely return!

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Blair House Inn? Share your experiences!