“good one..” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Vellore, India
“good one..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Hot n tasty food with varieties..... Ambiance of the restaurant and service was also tooo good,.....

Visited December 2013

Raleigh
“Surprisingly Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

This is a surprisingly upscale restaurant, given the artsy town of Wimberly. Interesting, contemporary architecture...and the food follows suit. If in the area, this is likely your best choice for dining. I would definitely return and bring (more) friends. Decent wine selection. Some healthy menu choices.

Visited November 2013
Wimberley, Texas
“Spectacular! As always!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Had a girls night out! It was a FULL house, with MANY waiting, but we were wise and had reservations! Ordered the Pinot as the wine, the Leaning Pear House salad and the bandana quail. Was fantastic!! Love everything about the new Leaning Pear!

Plano, Texas
“unique & tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

My husband and I came here on our honeymoon. It was our favorite of the restaurants we tried. We loved the atmosphere! And the food was unique, delicious, and reasonably priced. We'll definitely return when we visit Wimberley again!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Texas
“Expected more from new location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

My husband and I visited the new Leaning Pear location for the first time on Wednesday, Nov. 6th (we have dinned at the original smaller location approx 10 times, since we are Wimberley locales). We thought the new building was nice, but would described it as "cold" w/ the concrete floors, light colored wood and lots of windows. We were surprised to see that indoor seating is still very limited (most seating is outdoors and it was chilly that night). Weather in our area can be extreme and it has to be "just right" for me to wanted to sit outdoors (not to mention, mosquitos and flies!). The hostess first tried to seat us at a two top where one of us would have been on a booth seat and the other in a chair facing a high wall. I never understand when restaurants design their seating this way. We asked to sit at a four top instead along the windows. The restaurant was fairly slow that night so noise inside was not an issue (as seen on previous reviews). I'm surprised that the noise issue was not addressed on the new restaurant since that was a problem in the original building.

Our waiter greeted us and told us about the soup and special. My husband asked about a steak and was told there was a fillet printed on the menu, but they were no longer offering it. My husband told him that if they had a good steak (good steak in his mind is a rib eye) he would be there once a week! The waiter acted like there was no way that was going to happen. The waiter said the fillet would be replaced with the pot roast on the next menu printing (pot roast was the special that night).

We ordered wine and wild boar taquitos to start. I would like to see an expanded wine list. I try to avoid California wine (really anything from the West Coast) due to radiation from the Fukushima disaster a couple of years ago. I like chadonnay and they have a Benziger Chardonnay on the menu. I visited their winery in California about 7 years ago and was impressed with their organic and biodynamic production but that doesn't mean much to me anymore if the grapes are soaking up radiation!

When the taquitos came we thought they were good, but the jicama/carrot slaw was just shredded jicama and carrots - no dressing. There was a little chipotle queso on the side, but only enough to dip the taquitos in.

My husband ended up starting with a wedge salad (which is always good ) and ordering the Pecan Crusted Drum and I ordered the Pot Roast. The Drum was supposed to come with pureed sweet potatoes (which he doesn't like), so he wanted to sub another side. The waiter was resistant saying that everything was already pre-portioned and he didn't think the chef would do it. He ended up getting mashed potatoes. He enjoyed the Drum. I, on the other hand, enjoyed my pot roast, but the potatoes, carrots and rutabaga were under cooked to the point of being inedible. I let the waiter know and his response was "I'll let the chef know". There was no offer to replace them and I really wanted to eat them! At the end of the meal, the waiter asked if we needed a box and we said "yes, but we don't want to take the vegetables - they are inedible".

When the waiter brought the bill, he said the chef was offering us a free dessert to apologize for the vegetables. This was good gesture, but I still think it's odd that there was no effort to replace the vegetables (maybe because they have everything pre-portioned). We got the Toffee Pudding to go, which was excellent.

Overall, we were disappointed that the menu was still fairly limited. Pizzas were added and a few entrees. I noticed on the menu under pizzas it said "no substitutions". I think The Leaning Pear needs to be more flexible in order to please their customers. I didn't even see a cheese pizza on the kids menu.

I take the time to go into great detail with this review because our restaurants in Wimberley are very limited and as a residents here, we want them to be good.

Our bill that night was $97 so I think with that the customer raises the bar a bit. Our entrees were $24 and $25! I'm sure we'll be back, just not very often!

• Visited November 2013