“Kraut for a picky eater” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Texas
“Kraut for a picky eater”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My family is of German heritage and my wife has family living in Germany, whom we hope to visit someday, so we wanted to try some real German food.

Since the owners are from Germany, I'm assuming the flavors are pretty authentic. If this is typical of the type of German food one would find in Germany, then I'll survive whenever we make our trip.

I'm an extremely picky eater. I've tried sauerkraut once before and found it disgusting, but it was canned kraut from the store, so...

I tried the plain schnitzel with the bratkartoffel (seasoned pan fried potatoes) and sauerkraut. For a Texan who loves some chicken fried steak, you cannot go wrong with schnitzel. It is most definitely NOT chicken fried steak, but if you like the steak, I don't see how you could not like the schnitzel. It was great. The bratkartoffel was oh so good. The big surprise was the sauerkraut. That stuff was so good I was topping my schnitzel and potatoes with it. For a person who is as picky as I am, that's saying something. We had apple strudel for dessert. I think it should be a rule here that you don't walk out without some strudel.

Our server left something to be desired. She was attentive and took care of everything we needed when we needed, but she was lacking in personality by a long shot. I don't know if she was just having a bad day or what, but if that's the case, she should fake a grin and at least try to act personable to her guests.

The chef was out talking to others around us and stopped at our table for a bit to comment on how well our 3 year-old daughter was acting. He was a very pleasant man, smiling and happy.

Overall, great place. Our server kept me from giving 5 stars, but she didn't keep me from returning in the future. I will be back for sure.

• Visited August 2013

Wichita Falls, Texas
“It's the schnitz!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you're lookin' for authentic Texas chicken fried steak, you're in the wrong house! Opa's is all schnitzel, all the time. And do NOT leave without some strudel, even if you have to take it with you!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We recently enjoyed a fine meal at Opa's. We arrived and were promptly seated in the authentically decorated restaurant complete with German music. The waitress quickly took our drink order and dinner order. The food came out very quickly and was excellent. You have to try a pretzel with cheese appetizer, it was out of this world and I'm not even a pretzel fan. I had meatloaf which was very good and potato salad which was fantastic. My son had a sliced roast beef sandwich which was huge and delicious. We don't get to eat German food often as there are few in our area, so while spending 2 days in Wichita Falls this was quite a treat. Stop in, you won't be dissapointed

Visited June 2013
Wichita Falls, Texas
“My Favorite Place to Eat in Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I make it a point to eat here once a week; its my favorite restaurant. The restaurant itself is beautifully designed and decorated -- very nice atmosphere. The service is always great.
They also have consistently good food, and plenty of it. There are a variety of schnitzel meals, including BBQ and jalapeno (which I enjoy), but I tend to stick to the doner kebab sandwich. (Its very good!) I would also recommend their frikadelle, which is like a German hamburger, or the strammer max (an open-faced sandwich with rye bread, ham, cheese and egg).
There are also a few varieties of dessert, including an excellent dish called "schnitzel ice" you can get in either butterscotch, strawberry or chocolate.
I've never been disappointed here, and certainly recommend it.

• Visited June 2013
San Diego, California
“German Surprise in Wichita Falls, Texas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Excellent food and German beer on tap! We had the sausage platter appetizer, the schnitzel, apple strudel, and the Hofbrau and Bitburger beers. Wonderful service and a very friendly, hands-on owner! I lived for a year in Vienna, and have traveled in Germany and Austria many times since. This is the real deal! Treat yourself!

• Visited May 2013