“The Place You Have Been Looking For” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #58 of 196 Restaurants in Wichita Falls
Cuisines: Mexican
lawton, oklahoma
“The Place You Have Been Looking For”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Southwest Oklahoma and North Texas is not short of Mexican Restaurants so the choices are large in number. We saw an ad on The Jalapeno Tree in Wichita Falls and decided to try it on a recent visit. We were overwhelmed by the experience. The rustic decor is a perfect setting for the restaurant. We were met at the door and asked to see a menu prior to being seated. My wife asked specifically about getting a really crispy chili releno and the hostest brought the chef (Alice) out to talk with us. She offered to cook a releno up for my wife to sample. This sold us on the opportunity. Oru server was Joey and she was well versed on the menu and very cheerful. My wife ordered a margareta and it came in a souviner shaker which you can take home. My wife had the chili releno and it lived up to its crispy reputation. I had the "Tex Ritter" which was 3 enchiladas and a tamale. The flavor of the food is what you go to a Mexican Restaurant to experience. Best flavor I have found since our visit to New Mexico a couple of years ago. They also serve the traditional salsa (very fresh and tangy) and a special avacado/ranch/sour cream/spices dip with chips, the chips appeared to have just come out of the oven. The manager (Bianca) came by twice during our stay and talked with us, asking our opinion on the food and service. Some may find the prices a bit higher than other places but the portions are hugh, tastfully displayed and great tasting. We were visiting in Wichita Falls and we live about 50 miles from The Jalapeno Tree -- round trip about 100 miles. Believe me, it is worth the drive. Great experience. Highly recommend it -- the food is the best. Love the "Crazy Good Mexican Food " slogan. GB and LA

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Delish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I can not find one thing to complain about! From the margaritas to the last bite,everything was awesome. The 2 different salsas were very nice and appetizing. The chili rellenos, black beans, chicken enchiladas with tequila cream sauce, baracho beans, and even the rice (usually boring) all had wonderful texture and seasonings and very tasty. Our server was polite and very entertaining, as well. As you can see, we had a very great experience and meal. And we had enough leftovers to bring home for another meal, what a bonus!! Yummy!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“I'd rather eat my own leg...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

O.k., so maybe the title is a bit exaggerated, but seriously... taco bell would have been a better choice.
The service was horrible, my friend asked me if I thought our sever really worked there - or if maybe he was from one of the local competitors and was planted to sabotage the place. When asked what was served with the fajita plate, he told me to read the menu. When I asked him for a refill as he was walking by, he glared at me and told me he was busy at the moment that I'd have to wait. My buddy and I speculated that either A) one of us looked like someone that stole his wife B) he had just won the lottery C) we were on some practical joke tv show.
The food was absolutely terrible. The fajitas were so heavily "seasoned" that they weren't edible. The rice was inedibly salty. The beans must have been from a can, or perhaps they just hadn't figured out a way to screw them up yet. Even the water (which I couldn't even get a lemon for) seemed dry! (just kidding)
My friend ordered the Carne Asada and it was only slightly edible, like maybe in a hostage situation.
I don't know what was going on that day. Maybe we were just unlucky and got a glitch. The place was packed, so apparently not everyone has had such a bad experience there. All I know is that between the service and the food, I was completely disenchanted. I left there angry and hungry :(

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bowie, Texas
“Very good food & large portions!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Lots of seating, but if busy the wait is usually short. Food is wonderful. I enjoy the green sauce with the chips. The portions are large. During the holidays several of my family members will choose this restaurant to meet for our family "catch up on news" dinner. Servers are friendly and always busy.

Visited December 2011
San Antonio, Texas
“good service not so good food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We had dinner on July 18th. The service was good, unfortunately the food was not. We will not go back.

• Visited July 2012