“Wonderful place to stay!!!” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Arrowhead Resort
106 Arrowhead Road, Whitney, TX 76692   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Whitney
“Wonderful place to stay!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

My family and I have chosen Arrowhead for two family reunions and two single family stays and we are never disappointed. Staff is always friendly and helpful. The staff has gone out of the way to accommodate our request, even when it came to slightly bending their policy! If your looking to stay at an extremely well functioning property that's quiet where security and privacy are a priority with the staff, this is it! One of our favorite parts of our stay is enjoying watching the peacocks when the males are competing for "attention"! The cabins are clean with a great view, and the sunset can't be beat anywhere on the lake! I've got to mention Mel's Steakhouse is my personal favorite part of our stay! The food and atmosphere are a perfect fit for this resort! If you order in advance, Mel will top your visit off with a custom tray of cinnamon rolls that knock it out of the park! Wonderful people that really care about making your stay wonderful is what this resort is about.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at Arrowhead for 6 summers now. The rooms are nice and cozy. Everything is always clean. I have never been let down.. i have also had my wedding there the employees were very helpful and kind. The resturant has great food i personally love the steaks. The Friday night Catfish Buffet has never let me down either... My family has had many gathering and functions at this resort and they have been more than accomidating.. i would recommend Arrowhead to anyone at all seasons.

• Stayed August 2012
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I spent the July 4th weekend at Arrowhead with friends. Overall, because of the company I was with, it was an enjoyable weekend, beautiful lake view, and nice weather. The set up of the cabins, pool, RV site, and walk to the lake was great. Some of the things that need improvement are the following: customer service and a welcoming atmosphere. As soon as I walked in to check in, I felt like it was a bother for me to be there. I am a single woman with no children with a ton of friends who have families. I felt like I was punished for being this way due to the fact that I could not sleep in a bunk bed. Was I too tall, too fat, too old, too mature? I don't know because it wasn't explained to me. The only thing that was said was, "umm yeah you actually have one adult too many for that cabin." That's all. I think it would have made me feel more welcome to simply hear a "well we usually prefer to only have children in the bunk beds, but if you are by yourself, then we will make an exception." Thankfully, my other friend had a cabin with two rooms that she immediately offered to me. I felt bad because I was taking her son's room, but she said it was no problem at all to have her son sleep in their room. It ended up working out thanks to her. The detailed rule book may me intended as humor while stating the rules at the same time, but since the whole atmosphere is not humorous, the book seemed like a joke. I don't need to be told to put sun screen on 30 minutes before I go into the pool. More comments like these were patronizing to the guests. I believe there is a welcoming environment to frequent flyers of Arrowhead, but to the outsiders, it was not. My other friend was chased down because they didn't have a car tag, but they weren't given a chance to go get one as they checked in! Thank you for being vigilant with children who you accused of "possibly stealing," however give the adults a chance to follow procedure before chastising them for not, especially when they didn't know in the first place. I think I would be more willing to forgive these situations, if my friend wasn't told to take down her review. These are our opinions. If you want different results, put forth different procedures. Thanks for the overall hospitality, maybe think about our words. They may not change how you do things, but consider them just as you consider all the other reviews. Oh, I forgot....the peacocks are absolutely annoying. No matter where they sleep at night you can hear them. I might be more willing to deal with a few more bugs and less peacocks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
arrowheadresort, Owner at Arrowhead Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
If you read all of our negative reviews you will see a pattern, so let me save you some time and spell it out: if you come here with no respect or regard for our rules then you will likely be unhappy with the result. Where there are rules there are reasons. You don’t have to know or understand the reasons; you just have to trust our ability (and our right) to make decisions about things like how many people can fit into a cabin based on our years of experience.

There’s really not much point in getting into an argument with the words of this reviewer whose group was attempting to exceed the occupancy of the cabin they had rented, AND who said herself that she only wrote her review in support of her friend. We agonize over every word written in these reviews, but we have never “told” anyone to take down a review. We answered her friend’s email to us with a sincere apology for any issues she had with us during her stay and thanked her for her feedback.

We think it’s worth pointing out that every one of our rules was created because people in the past did something that caused harm or damage or generated complaints from other guests. Seriously. We don’t make this stuff up. We enforce our rules and rarely make exceptions because they are primarily for the safety and comfort of ALL of our guests, as well as the protection of our property. You don’t have to be a regular here to be welcomed; all it takes is a little respect.
Austin, Texas, Usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Our group of 11 adults and 3 kids spent July 4th weekend at Arrowhead on Lake Whitney. We rented 2 cabins and an RV spot. Very quickly upon arriving, our group found the staff unfriendly in their way of enforcing resort policies. Our group arrived at different times, and one of our groups drove onto the property wanting to find the rest of the group before checking in with the office for a parking pass, and our friends were chased down by the owner in a golf cart before their even had a chance to call us to find our cabin. The owner told our friends, "no one comes on my property without a parking pass." This was not a very good first impression for paying guests! One of the owners seemed to do laps around the cabin and RV sites several times throughout the day and night, and we felt like we were about to get in trouble at every turn. We did not feel comfortable sitting outside our cabins talking past their "quiet hours" (10pm). We were not a loud group, but just a group of friends that don't get together often, and we didn't feel like we could relax outside. There are unfriendly signs posted everywhere around the cabins stating their "rules." We felt that we were at kid camp, being watched the entire time. Also, the peacocks swarmed us as soon as we arrived and were trying to get in our cabins every time we left the doors open. They surrounded us while we were grilling and kept us up for 2 hours beginning at 4am. Any time they thought there was food, they came uncomfortably close. Even trying to take snack out of our kids' hands. We found the facilities to be very nice and exactly what we were looking for, but will not return to Arrowhead, mainly because of the owners unfriendly manners.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
arrowheadresort, Owner at Arrowhead Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
I know our response is long but please read all the way to the end for our point of view. We are not quite sure what this reviewer expected, but our place was apparently not the right fit. Use her review and our response as a guide to your decision about whether or not to stay here, or in any Mom & Pop lodging facility, keeping in mind that Mom & Pop are usually in charge of everything from maintenance to customer service to security.
We work long hours before our guests arrive to make sure that our home is what this guest described as "very nice and exactly what we were looking for." Then we work night and day while they are here to ensure that everyone is safe, secure, comfortable, and having a good time.
When you choose to travel on a holiday weekend, especially on July Fourth with its inherent fire risks, you should expect a few tighter security measures wherever you are. If these guests were staying at a government owned facility like a state or national park or a large resort like Disney they certainly wouldn't be allowed to drive around the park "before checking in with the office for a parking pass," so we are unclear about why it seems out of the ordinary at a small business. When you see a police officer, park ranger, game warden, deputy sheriff, or shopping center security person on patrol do you feel like you are “about to get in trouble at every turn?” Not usually, unless you are actually doing something wrong. Do you expect them to greet you warmly when you have driven through stop signs and “all guests must register in the office” signs?
I am the one who does the ”laps around” the property. I am five feet seven inches tall and weigh 110 pounds, so I am not very scary looking. I make those “laps around” the property doing several things: going to the laundry room to check on the mountain of washing that always needs attention, feeding and watering our horses, introducing our one-eyed miniature horse to guests, taking cool drinks to my husband who is out doing things like preparing our rental boats, cleaning the swimming pool, cleaning charcoal grills, or emptying trash.
Our county commissioners enacted an emergency burn ban on Friday July 5th due to the large number of fires that happened on July 4th and the worsening drought conditions. In order not to inconvenience our guests, who had no advance notice that this might happen, we allowed what were essentially illegal cooking fires here at our home throughout the weekend. It took extra vigilance on our part, so on this holiday weekend the reviewer may have also seen me checking to make sure that fires in grills were safely attended. I also ejected several strangers that walked or drove onto the property, preventing them from possibly endangering the children of this reviewer and others. I also made a lap to find the parents of the small child who was left with only a ten-year old to watch him in the pool. And one lap to stop two teenagers from shooting fireworks near the boats of our guests at the lake shore. My husband then made a few laps late into the night to make sure those same teens did not get into further trouble (perhaps “borrowing” things from this reviewer’s boat?) I made a lap to stop for a minute and enjoy the sunset with several guests. I made a lap to tell people where the best viewing spots were for watching our neighbor’s fireworks and I made another lap to calm my horses when those fireworks got really loud. On Saturday I made a couple of laps back and forth trying to gather information from social media and police scanners when dear friends were injured in an explosion at the official community fireworks display. I also made a few laps during the weekend just to visit with guests, most of which seemed to think I was pretty friendly. Some cooked dinner for us Saturday evening, others booked their next stay when they checked out.
This reviewer was correct in stating that they were not a loud group. We never once asked them to be quiet. We did however, ask another group to lower the volume because we feared they were loud enough to disturb the potentially sleeping toddlers in the reviewer’s group.
Here’s the deal on the peacocks. They have two distinct purposes. The first is to eat lots of bugs, thereby making things a bit more comfortable for our guests. The second thing we rely on the peacocks for is nighttime security. They only call out at night when there is something they perceive as a threat. That threat may be a passing animal, a person wandering around, or even doors being slammed. The beauty of this is that unwanted predators (animal or human) don’t usually stick around to see what happens after the peacocks cry out. We are sorry if an occasional calling of the birds disturbed this reviewer, but are actually a little baffled about that situation since none of the birds sleep near the cabin this reviewer was in, they do not cry out continually this time of year since it is after mating season, AND air conditioners in the cabins usually drown out the sounds anyway.
It is rare for the birds to hang around cabin guests who are not feeding them. If even one person at a cabin feeds the birds, then the birds will naturally stay around expecting others to do the same thing. If they are not fed, they generally move on to other cabins where the people are providing food. They are around people from a young age and are not dangerously aggressive, particularly with children. Most weekends children hand feed them. We are sorry if they were snack snatchers this weekend.
Two members of this group are regular restaurant customers of ours. They were welcomed to our home with hugs and allowed to set up their RV and start using our electricity five hours before regular check in time. The entire group was welcomed in our restaurant on Friday evening. And even on our busiest night of the year we provided a birthday cake and sang happy birthday to help them celebrate.
We are not sure how much more welcoming we needed to be to have satisfied this guest, but I can guarantee that we worked hard to make sure all of our guests were safe and secure on a busy holiday weekend at the lake. If that is what you want then we are the perfect fit for you.
Wichita Falls, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Gary & Melinda are wonderful hosts and do everything they can to make sure your stay is awesome. The cabins and grounds are kept very clean and the pool is extremely nice and pleasant. Great place for kids with free ranging peacocks and miniature horses. On site steakhouse has mouth watering steaks along with other fare. Great place to get away from the stress of the life and relax. We were there over Memorial Day weekend and had a great time. This time of year is mating season for the peacocks so you will see the males strutting their plumes and feathers and they are beautiful. They do squawk a lot both during the day and during the night.

This property does not have a boat ramp or boat slips for your use. You have to drive a couple of miles over to the public ramp at Whitney dam but it's no big deal. To get to the lake itself you have to climb over two fences with metal steps provided and walk thru a horse pasture and then down the lake shore.

Room Tip: All the cabins and RV sites are easy to access and you should get the room or site that best fits yo...