“phone signal is bad” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westlake
Atlanta
“phone signal is bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The place is nice, but not convenience if you don't rent a car.
However, this hotel has airport shuttle. You need to call them to make an appointment before you arrive. Otherwise, you need to wait 20-30 minutes.
I am not satisfied because the phone signal is bad in my 3rd floor room. If I make a call, I need to go to the lobby. Even so, the signal is not strong.
My phone is T-mobile. Maybe other companies have better connection network there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I typically stay here during the week for business. This hotel has come a long way and with recent renovations, it is a hidden gem in the DFW area. The hotel rooms are very clean and the food including room service and the hotel restaurant are very good. The hotel has a pool, a Starbucks, and fitness center. I love that they offer underground parking since the temps during the summer are quite high.

There is great shopping in south lake center which is a couple of exits away. It includes great shops, restaurants, and a movie theater.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Fairfax, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

The hotel is a C- Marriott. Rooms were nice & clean. Staff was very nice, tipped my housekeeper $5 each day because of the little extras she did.

Pool and workout room are small. Parking is a pain, plan on a extra 5min just to wind your way around to the underground parking dungeon and hopefully find two tiny parking spaces next to each other to park your one medium sized car. The hotel layout is not well thought out and kind of ugly; hope they didn't pay the architect full price to design the place for them.

I guess my biggest problem with the place besides the layout is that management charges you extra for things provided as a guest courtesy at other hotels. I'm a Marriott Rewards member, a loyal customer, but was charged $5 for a bottle of water left in my room for me. $5 is not a big deal, but seriously, as a loyal customer you can't offer me a single refreshing bottle of water after traveling all day to reach your hotel? It costs $6.99 for a case of 24 (30 cents a bottle), does it really cost you $4.70 to place it in my room? Do you even make money after paying the credit card processing fees to process that $5 charge? It's more the principle of good customer service than the cost. Either give me a bottle of water because your happy I'm there or leave it out of my room and I'll get my own. A courtesy shouldn't cost...

Parking in the dungeon is free, as is basic cable, but internet is $13/day. It's 2012 for gosh sake, nearly every hotel I stay at does not charge for internet anymore, it's included in the room charge just like water, electricity, cable, towels, etc. I used my cellular data card instead.

They put a little yellow duck in the bathroom each day, nice touch, cute, brought a smile to my day. The guy at the front desk said I should have taken it with me when I left, but no way. If I was getting charged $5 for a $0.30 bottle of water and $13 a day to check my email & read the news I couldn't fathom how much they would charge me for taking their cute little duck!

The employees were great, management is greedy compared to other hotels I stay at, bottom line is I won't be staying there again. It's a C- hotel and I can get better value elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

My husband and I blocked off hotel rooms for our wedding guests to use and also booked our room with them. The event coordinator, Brandi, was absolutely spectacular to work with! Our room was upgraded twice, and we ended up with a huge suite where my bridesmaids and I were able to get make up and hair done. We were also able to fit 20 people in our hotel room the day before the wedding to eat pizza and socialize. The pool and outside area was great! We especially liked the fire pits.
The only reason we put 2 for the service was that we weren't granted a late check out. Our check out was the day after the wedding, and my husband and I were so exhausted that morning that we wish we could've had some extra time to get up and get our things together.
Overall, the hotel was beautiful, the service was almost perfect, and we'd definitely stay there again! Oh, and FYI, the bar opens at 2pm....kinda late for my bridesmaids.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

From the time I boarded the shuttle I was pleased, Randall/Randy was my shuttle driver, what an optimistic open person he was! The female at check in came around the desk to properly direct me where my room would be. The house keeper left a hand written note the next day that I was there welcoming me to the marriott, her name was Lorena. I believe it was a manager who encountered me just wandering around & told me of their great on site restaurants a mere 3 min walk away. I highly recommend this hotel & appreciate the friendly staff

• Stayed June 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Westlake, Texas, and the Westlake Circle area is like a farm bearing fields of executive buildings and wide stetches of lawns embellished by mature landscaping, sealed in by walls of buildings and a sense of enclosure. It's a very strange place, otherworldly and apart.

Check in was easy, got our two rooms, got keys, got pointed in the right direction as far as pool, restaurant, parking, rooms. Thank heavens for the multitudes of signs everywhere. The place is a maze, a carpeted hospital maze, and would be impossible for a disoriented traveller to navigate without those helpful bits. If you get lost, though, don't worry. Friendly staff members abound. In fact, we must have been greeted by at least a dozen different employees during our stay, everyone from maintenance crew to housekeeping to service staff and pool attendants, each of whom smiled and offered a friendly greeting.

The underground parking garage is low ceilings and darkness, dim and dingy, with the occasional yucky bug ambling along the edges of the gray shadows. But behind those walls, awaits a wildly carpeted hallway with purple and lavender and wicked neon green botanical melange designed carpeting (read: do not walk those hallways when you've had a few too many cocktails! The color and pattern will set you spinning and possibly spewing). Even so, after a couple of days the crazy carpet grew on me and I decided I liked it.

Third floor is where our group stayed. One of us had a corner room with a big ole concrete balcony. There was a teak wood table and 4 chairs, but they looked old, splintery and were full of little bugs. We didn't sit on those. I highly recommend they replace these items (burn them as firewood?) and get plastic or even metal furniture for these patio situations. Unkept teak wood will not do. Anyway, I could STAND, not sit, on the balcony, and enjoy a wild view of raucous plant life and lawn, replete with cardinals and bluejays swooping through the canopy. It was lovely.
The other room was nice, too, but no balcony.

Anyway, comfy beds with proper linens, and yes I checked for bed bugs, pulling up the sheeting, the mattress pad, and looking at foot of bed, head of bed and in nooks and crannies here and there. The mattress was plush but not overly so, and it looked rather new. No bugs.
Pillows were provided, even the extra foam ones I'd requested when I made e reservation.
Bathroom is small, but marble topped sink area functioned well. Shower was good with nice hot water and fine water pressure. Plenty of towels. The bathroom floor could benefit from a serious scrubbing as it looked dark, dirty against the cleaner stone tile baseboards. But I understand. I hate scrubbing floors too.
The feature I really really liked was that a LOOONG granite countertop lined one whole side of the room. This counter held it all: a bazillion plugs for electronic devices, including Internet hookups and such. It also had the hotel guide, the flat screen tv, and a good reading lamp. There was also a coffee maker. Beneath the counter we're convenient drawers. The effect of this long counter in gleaming black granite, why, it was calming, soothing, and fabulous for keeping all your gear in one place. Instead of having to check multiple nightstands and drawers and bathroom plugs to make sure you had all your devices and charges, you have only to look at this one space and you can tell at a glance if you've forgotten anything. Bravo, Marriott design team!

But wait! I forgot to mention the pool area.

I could seriously write an ode to this space. Ah, floating in the L-shaped saltwater pool listening to the splash of the fountain, gazing upward toward the impossibly blue sky, surrounded by canyon-red concrete walls with black shadows of windows in perfect rows, the fecundity of the earth's rich, verdant life surrounding you with brilliant landscaping in perfect order, it seems like Paradise. And that's just the quiet times!
At night there might be a raucous volleyball game in the pool, or nubile beauties in the hot tub discussing cattle futures (seriously! they were!), and somewhere on the far side a group might be smiling over drinks as they lounge in the outdoor seating area, watching a game on tv. Lots of action and people watching. Fun!

Overall, I was delighted by my group's stay here. When I called the front desk and said they forgot the champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries that we're supposed to be in my room upon arrival, they admitted their mistake and said they'd had this marked for the wrong day. Room service brought up the items in less than 20 minutes. It was a tray with a carnation in a small square vase, champagne on ice, tulip glasses, and a full dozen big, juicy strawberries enrobed in dark chocolate. Very, very nice!

Checkout was easy, what with the bill slipped under the door some could review our charges. Everything was correct. Nicely done.
Would I stay here again? Absolutely. I will watch for Internet specials and Marriott deals, though, because this place can get pricey-up to $325 a night for the room we had.
It's still a nice surprise, the Marriott Solana, with its high, foreboding dark red walls, the color of sun burnt blood on a limestone rock, surrounded by the unending blue canvas of Texas sky, situated in the midst of manicured lawns and tidy, pruned crepe myrtles, oaks and such...it is an unexpected gem behind the concrete facade.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor with a view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Aiea, Hawai'i
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I was stuck in Dallas-Ft. Worth during this past spring's tornado outbreak; the DFW International Airport closed and I was searching for a hotel to stay overnight. The Dallas Marriott Solana Hotel provided me a home away from home; from the time I was picked up at the airport in the hotel shuttle, I was treated like family. The hotel front desk staff, restaurant hosts, and room keepers were well-versed in providing a comfortable stay and attended to any of my questions and requests. I would definitely stay here in the future!

Room Tip: Request the concierge (private) floor when you make your reservations.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Dallas Marriott Solana? Share your experiences!