“Very impressed for the money” 4 of 5 stars

2X HHonors Points Package
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Waco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Winter Park
“Very impressed for the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2006

As a business person who travels every week for work I would certainly welcome a return to this hotel.
Positives: Great location many places to eat accross the street both casual and upscale, free easy parking, free wireless internet, wonderful bed and soft sheets, clean updated bathroom and room, bottled water available at the front desk free, free business center with fax, copier, printer and internet, very good resturant for dinner, quick room service, very helpful staff.
Area's for improvement: Fitness center small with minimal equipment, there is a Golds gym on Waco drive. The birds are noisy but not as loud as the fireworks they set off to scare them away. The pool is outside and didn't look very appealing, the elevators are slow. The breakfast is typical fat greasy food although they do have cereal and fresh fruit. All in all a great hotel for the price.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2005

We stayed here for one night - March 19, 2005. From the reviews I have read we must have stayed in a renovated room. It was very nice and clean with down pillows and blankets. We were on the 10th floor, facing east and the birds did wake me up very early. I hate Grackles; bad memories of them from my days on the UT Campus-loud and crap on everything.

We opted for the room service and the food was good. We did not order anything complicated (burgers and kids meals) so don't know how good main entrees are-it is a Damons restaurant.

The next morning we used the pool area/hot tub. The pool is not heated so they were not in there long but liked the hot tub. Looks like it would be a nice pool area in the summer but we did see a bird fight so there could be a bird problem. There is also a tennis court that looks ok. I saw some cracks in it but didn't inspect it further.

There is an area right by the hotel with a variet of restaurants/bars. We were not in Waco long enough to visit any of these but saw Ninfa's (mexican) and a BBQ place, cajun food.

I did not think I would like Waco but it is a fun small city to visit. We went to the Dr. Pepper museum, zoo, Texas Ranger Museum and 2 Baylor baseball games. Easy to get around there and well organized.

The only other decent place I saw to stay in Waco was a Courtyard by Marriott. If we go again, we will stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed March 2005
spottybug
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2005

We had a very pleasant 2 night stay here this past weekend. While the birds are a nuisance, their noise is easily covered up by the white noise from the room's air conditioning system, so we had no problems. We never heard the "horns and flares" in the morning as reported by another reviewer, so apparently the city has dropped this practice. Staff was VERY friendly and helpful. Be sure to stay in a "Deluxe" room, as these are the ones that have been recently updated. Very comfortable beds with down pillows and comforters. Room was absolutely spotless and quite comfortable. Great location next to local warehouse district with several restaurants and bars, and right next door to the convention center. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2005
Bryan, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2005

I stayed here for 2 nights on business in February 2005. First of all, the good... Friendly and helpful staff, VERY comfortable bed (I was told it was a recently renovated room), decent breakfast and good service in the restaurant, great location, clean room.

As for the bad... Yes, the birds can be very annoying if you are a light sleeper in the morning (which I am). Earplugs would probably solve that problem. Also a word of advice: DON'T park underneath the trees unless you want to wash your car the next day. However, it should be noted that this seems to be a problem at just about any hotel in Texas that I've stayed in. Maid service was very late for our room. Walls are pretty thin (could hear next door's TV and conversation).

Would I stay here again? Perhaps. This particular stay was for a conference that was being held in the adjacent convention center. So it was very convenient.

Perhaps ask for a room on the west side of the building to avoid some of the street noise. And bring those earplugs...

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2003

This was my second and last stay at this hotel. I was there for Parent's Weekend and my room was terrible. When I checked in, my room had an unpleasant odor. I tried to call the front desk to change rooms but the phone did not work. I walked down to the desk and reported my phone not working and also my displeasure with the room. They told me there were no other rooms available. The room was "well worn". The carpet was not vacuumed. I sat down in one of the chairs and under the chair was food from the previous guest. The housekeeping lacks a lot.
This place is long overdue for a remodeling. When I went to express check-out via the telephone, much to my surprise, my telephone still was not working. After a two night stay, I was more than ready to leave.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2003

It's a nice clean hotel with all the facilities for a pleasant stay. The service in the sports bar/restaurant was excellent for the several days I was there. But, the birds, and the measures taken by the Waco city to deal with them: a guy drives around the hotel at 6am with a horn and flares ... what a way to start the day, you feel like you're in the middle of Baghdad with things whizzing and popping outside your window. Rooms with connecting doors can be a bit noisy -- you hear next door's conversations, TV and whatever else. It's close to a lot of good places to eat and drink in the restaurant/shopping centre across the road. But watch out for the birds!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2003

This management team does not realize that the only thing that separates them from other chains is service. The maid service was very late several days. Twice I had to call and cancel it because it was after 4:30 PM and I didn't want to be disturbed. Then they botched up my reservation by one day and I had to move out of a room I had been in for almost 4 weeks with no apologies. Didn't need THAT aggravation. The bird activity in the vicinity was terrible. Their attempt to quell the birds was, at times, just as annoying. All the activities that the hotel hosts restricts patron parking to far away from the hotel. They should reserve some parking for people staying there. Will search out the nearest Residence Inn on the next trip. HILTON.........Free accomodations to amend this trip are not necessary

Been to Hilton Waco? Share your experiences!