“Decent stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Waco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Decent stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed here this past February while visiting my alma mater and attending a baby shower. Seems like this Hilton had received somewhat of a makeover from the time I stayed here back in the mid 90s. It's location is unbeatable since it is across the street from the suspension bridge and in very close walking distance to restaurants. I was just a little disappointed that as a Hilton gold member, they didn't give the extra perks of bottled water that usually waited in my room with a personalized welcome letter. I know that seems minor but compared to other Hilton hotels, it's a standard that you end up comparing them to. Service was nice and cordial and really did not stand out. I asked for foam pillows for my room and waited an hour and still had to call the front desk back to remind them. As for breakfast the next morning, they had the UCLA baseball team eating there at the same time as everyone else so it was somewhat of a mad house trying to get breakfast at all. The waitstaff seemed overwhelmed and most of the breakfast items were out on the buffet without being refilled. Overall, I would only stay here for the proximity to the Baylor campus and for the location, but as for the it being up to Hilton hotel standards, I rate it as average.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MJMahoney, Manager at Hilton Waco, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Good day -

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us here at the Hilton Waco!

I am disappointed that you had only found your stay as mediocre. We strive to make each guest's stay memorable - obviously we had fallen short. The simple amenities and requests such as water and pillows should have been arranged prior to your arrival. For the lack of this, I apologize.

I have shared your comments with the staff involved to ensure shortfalls in service like this do not occur again.

Thank you again for your time and we look forward to seeing you again here in Waco!

-Mike Mahoney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Rockwall, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is by far the poorest Hilton I have stayed at in the last several years. Room 1112 has an air conditioner that sounds like a jet turbine. The room was not very clean with open cheetos on the window sill behind the curtains and ants crawling all over them. The hotel is out dated and just overall in poor condition.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
MJMahoney, Manager at Hilton Waco, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your recent stay here at the Hilton Waco.

I am very disappointed to hear about the unacceptable conditions in which you found you room. We certainly make every attempt to properly inspect each room, but it appears in this case we did not perform adequately.

We have since repaired the fan blade in the air conditioning unit and gone over the missed areas in housekeeping to ensure this does not occur again.

Thank you again for your time and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you to Waco.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton in Waco recently for a horse show and was left with a terrible impression. I am from the Fort Worth area but I travel all around the country for horse shows so I have been to my fair share of Hilton properties. I have to say that the hilton Waco has been by far the worst. It seems to me that the decor of the hotel is a little out-dated, it reminded me a lot of a hotel form the early 80's, however, when I asked when the last remodel was, I was told it was "just a few years ago." When I arrived in my room I noticed that the bathroom was filthy; the shower/tub had tons of hair from the previous guest and the counters were sticky. I was also missing a pillow on my bed. The room did seem a little more up to date than the lobby and hallways of the hotel.
While i was a little upset about the cleanliness of my room, I have to say it was posh compared to my breakfast experience the next morning. The hotel offered a breakfast buffet which seemed to be kept very clean and well stocked. The breakfast options were delicious but very typical. I would have liked to see a local option or maybe something hotel specific on the buffet. My food was delicious but this brings me to the absolute worst part of my stay: My waitress, who's name-tag read "Becky," an older woman probably in her 50's, was in the most sour mood imaginable. I'm not sure if she had some personal issues going on at home or not, but as one of the first people I encountered that morning she definitely did not set a good tone for my day. I never once saw this woman smile, she did not offer a "hello" or "good morning" to me nor did she offer me a menu. When she first approached me she simply muttered a half-hearted "coffee?" When I asked about a breakfast menu she explained to me about the buffet but as I mentioned before I was curious if there were any type of hotel specific dishes, reluctantly she walked off and brought me back a menu. I ultimately decided on the buffet since it seemed to be the most bang for your buck type of option. While dining I noticed my waitress was treating all of her other tables with as little or even less enthusiasm as she did mine. I hate to be a picky diner since, as a college student I also waited table so i know how it can be sometimes, but this woman was older and as a Hilton employee I feel she should have possessed a sense of professionalism and a welcoming and friendly attitude, despite the hour of morning or what personal issues may have made her so irritable.
The rest of my stay was mediocre. I did not chose to eat in the restaurant again or order room service. One thing that did make my stay a little more enjoyable was the front desk staff. I encountered several men and women both young and old at the front desk who were extremely helpful and friendly no matter the time of day or the nature of my request. In my opinion, the only thing preserving this Hilton's namesake is the front desk staff. Not the decor, not the rooms, and especially not the wait-staff in the restaurant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
MJMahoney, Manager at Hilton Waco, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Good day -

Thank you for taking the time to convey your thoughts regarding your recent experience with us here at the Hilton Waco.

We appreciate your comments and would like to extend our deepest apologies for anyone on our staff that made you feel unwelcomed. It is not acceptable and we never want any of our guests leaving unappreciated. Every guest is an important one and we will use this information to assure this never happens again.

We believe that our outstanding service is the hallmark of our property, so we hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you should your travels bring you back to Waco.

Thank you again for your time.

USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is by far the poorest example of a Hilton property i have ever seen. As a 10 year Diamond Level honors member Ihave stayed at a lot of Hilton properties and never have I seen one so poorly maintained, out of date, in need of new everything and staffed by some of the rudest people I have ever encountered
This property is 11 floors of 1980 quality and way over priced. I recently was schedule to spend 3 night there but after the had me in the incorrect type of room( only booked it 30 days early) on a uper level floor by the elevator and refused to move me when request i cut my visit short and stayed at the marriott property down the road
My advice stay anywhere else in Waco, i dont know how this place keeps the Hilton name. The room was dirty and had not been vacumed from the prior guest, there were wrappers on the floor and the bathroom had hair all over the floor. I complained to the front desk and was told sorry that all we had. but the would tell housekeeping in the morning. I asked them to cancel my reservation so i could stay some place else, but sorry it was after 6 so I'd have to pay for the room

Room Tip: stay at another hotel
MJMahoney, Manager at Hilton Waco, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Good day -

Thank you for taking the time to share you comments regarding your recent stay here in Waco.

I certainly would like to apologize for the poor experience you had encountered. I can confidently state that the condition in which you found your room and the service you had encountered is not of the standard in which we hold ourselves.

I have shared your experience with our housekeeping staff to ensure that it does not occur again and I have also shared this with our front desk team. Should a Diamond member such as yourself communicate to the front desk - those individuals should be acting immediately to resolve your displeasure. Again, I apologize that this did not occur.

I thank you again for your comments. Being informed of these occurrences and then sharing them will only assist us in improving our property.

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

very hospitable staff. went out of their way to accommodate my needs. was speaking in Waco and needed a few things to make my talk more effective and the staff supported me very well. the meeting room was set up well but the audio/mics cracked and I was unable to use them. the food service was outstanding and the F&B manager went out of her way to make sure my special requests were accommodated

MJMahoney, Manager at Hilton Waco, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Good day -

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Hilton Waco. We are happy to hear that your meetings went well and the banquet staff was able to exceed your expectations!

Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The Staff is very nice & the strive to meet your needs!

Nice walking path right across the street near the river

Also the room are very quite & very clean

I will stay the next time I stay in Waco, TX

A very BIG plus is that the hotel is very close to other actives near this hotel, You can do many things from this hotel without driving

MJMahoney, Manager at Hilton Waco, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Good day -

Thank you for the time to complete a review of your stay with us here at the Hilton Waco!

We are thrilled to hear that you found your stay clean and comfortable and that our staff was able to exceed your needs!

We hope to see you back again soon!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

When you pay to stay and relax you expect the experience at a Hilton to be a good one, but this w!as not this case at this one. Ants in the rooms! All I got from the staff was oh they are sugar ants. I explained to them that ants were even on the beds! Who wants ants on there bed?!!! One staff member even said next time don't pay for the name. Wow!!! I would expect this at a motel...not the HILTON! I'm going to call the health inspector. I'm a consumer. This shouldn't happen to us.

• Stayed February 2013
MJMahoney, Manager at Hilton Waco, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Good day -

Thank you for taking the time to compose a review regarding your recent stay with us.

While we disagree with the statements you have shared, we have called in our regular pest control service to ensure this does not occur again. As we had spoken earlier this morning, we have made your night complimentary and I would be happy to oversee your reservation and accommodations the next time your travels bring you back to Waco!

-Mike Mahoney

Been to Hilton Waco? Share your experiences!