“Showed up with a reservation and they didn't have the room I reserved.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Waco

Save Saved
You added Hilton Waco to your Saves list
Hilton Waco
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   113 South University Parks Drive, Waco, TX 76701-2241   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 25 hotels in Waco
Plymouth, New Hampshire
“Showed up with a reservation and they didn't have the room I reserved.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I arrived Tuesday night with a reservation for two queen beds non-smoking for four nights. The lady at the counter was very sorry and embarrassed that they were sold out of non-smoking rooms and just had one smoking room left. She couldn't assure me she could even get me into one over the next days. I looked in the smoking room and it reeked. I was as if a chain smoker had spent a year holed up in the room. It was late and I was upset and tired. I booked a room on Priceline for my stay at another hotel. I asked the name of the Hilton Manager that would be on duty the next day. His name was Michael.

I wanted to be at the Hilton as our group had reserved a block of rooms and we had meetings at the Hilton. I traveled from New Hampshire to be with these people not a half mile away. This was most upsetting as I made my reservations way in advance.

The next day Michael was able to get me into a non smoking room that was very nice. I had to prepay for my other motel for my entire stay.

I requested a discount from Michael for the extra costs I was incurring. He set me up with some free breakfasts that were quite good. I still was out $180.00. I let him know I would have this review reflect how I was treated and this was all he was willing to do.

The chef at the breakfast buffet was very pleasant and cordial. The fresh berries were outstanding. The buffet was very good. The waitresses were poor. They seemed unable to follow through with the most simple tasks each day. Many things we had to go around back and do ourselves like coffee and to go cups.

The meeting room was nice, clean and well set up. The hotel room was cleaned nicely.

Room service was 45 minutes on a food order. We found that a little slow.

The pool and hot tub were nice.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

I went here on a business trip at the beginning of August with 4 other co-workers. We booked the hotel in May and we were guaranteed non-smoking. However, when we checked in, the front desk said they were all out of non-smoking. None of us smoke, so this was a huge problem for us. However, management was very helpful and took care of the problem right away and we all got non-smoking rooms.

The rooms are very spacious. We stayed in rooms that had two queen size beds in them. We were all very satisfied with the space and cleanliness of the rooms. We all loved the comfort of the bed and pillows!! Our only complaints were that the air conditioning was very loud and the TV did not have very many channels.

We ate at the Hilton Grille for breakfast and it was very affordable and the food was great. The hotel is also adjacent to the Waco Convention Center-where our conference was-so we could walk very easily and there was no rushing around.

All in all, we were very satisfied with the convenience of this hotel and everything it had to offer. Will definitely stay here again if we are ever in Waco.

Room Tip: If you are going for a business, see if they offer a conference or business rate
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

super convenient location for the triathlon since it opened up right onto the transition area. right on the water with pretty bridges, a park, walking trails. Very clean and new. Nice decor. Good towels and sheets. Comfy bed. Strong/cold AC (imperative in Texas summer). Excellent service. We asked for extra towels at the front desk and by the time we got up to the room, they were already sitting there at the door!
the only downside to this place was the slow elevators.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

After registering, I was called by name by every employee I met for the rest of the week. The executive floor provides more amenities than many much higher price properties at which we have stayed, From a very adequate business center to a hot breakfast and a television lounge with huge screen tv. The room was large and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

You can always find a cheaper place to stay in Waco but having rolled the dice once last football season, I won't stay anywhere else from now on.

The Hilton has long been the standard in Waco for good accomodations but I had not been inside the place since a student at Baylor from 1996-2000. When I walked into the lobby last October, I didn't recognize the place. I have to admit, being a nostalgic type I was a bit dissapointed to see that the Sports Bar had been replaced by a new metro lounge type of bar...I guess that's progress but I digress.

The renovations obvious in the lobby carried over into the rooms, where the furnishings looked brand new. Big King bed and furniture you typically see in big city upscale hotels. The bathroom included a granite counter-top and large shower all of which had also obviously been updated.

Without a doubt the best attribute of this hotel is the proximity to some of the best nightlife Waco has to offer. Right across the street are old favorites including Crickets (a bar/restaurant with pool tables and video games), Ninfas, Diamondbacks (restaurant) among others. It is also a short drive to George's (home of the famous Big "O" and local favorite) and not far from Floyd Casey Stadium (home to Baylor football). If you are in town to see a game/meet up with old friends, you can't go wrong with the Hilton. You will pay more but the proximity to good times and a guaranteed level of cleanliness and service makes the price well worth it.

On a sidenote, when we arrived last year for the Kansas game we had mistakenly reseved our room for the day of the game as opposed to the night before. The lobby clerk was extremely helpful and had no problem accomodating us despite the hotel being at capacity.

I hope you find this review helpful and trust me when I say: Don't roll the dice on a cheap motel if you can get reservations at the Hilton...you will not regret it. For reference fee free to read my review of the Super 8, which was the one and only time I rolled the dice and consider it a lesson learned.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
MJMahoney, Rooms Division Director at Hilton Waco, responded to this review, July 23, 2011
Good day -

Thank you for the glowing comments regarding your recent stay here at the Hilton Waco. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay here and are happy to see we were able to anticipate and fulfill all your needs.

We hope to see you again in the future!
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

We have a conference here every few years. I loved the Courtyard Marriott too, but the internet connection stunk so I decided to have us stay at the Hilton Waco. It was a little more expensive but worth it. The only bad difference I found with the Marriott and Hilton was Marriott had a free breakfast. The Hilton had a great pool and hot tub, was very clean, has a coffee shop area with snacks and ice cream, an open bar in the lobby and a restaurant that has an all you can eat great breakfast and the nicest and friendliest staff ever! We had a problem with our Air Conditioner but they bent over backwards trying to help fix the problem and we ended up moving rooms. There were no complaints from us! And it's across the parking lot from lots of restaurants so if you don't have a car, very convenient to get dinner! Ninfa's Mexican and several others. We'll definitely stay here when the next convention comes to Waco. I'd also recommend Brisa's Italian which is a short drive away.

Room Tip: I think every room was great - but a view of the bridge is pretty at night.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Saint Peter, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

I like Hiltons. Most of the ones I've stayed at have been clean, comfortable & reasonably priced. We needed a place to stay for a night on our drive home from San Antonio to Minnesota. Now, I have no problem paying $130 for a nice room but I just didn't feel like we got our money's worth. No HD channels & the clarity was poor. In the bathroom, it looked like they'd replaced the toilet with a smaller one & instead of putting new tile in around it they just filled the gap in with a dirty looking grout. For $130 I don't want to have a disgusted feeling when I use the bathroom. We ordered 2 10" pizzas from the restaurant & with 2 bottled waters it came to $60!! Could've gotten 2 large pizzas & then some from a pizza joint for that. Plus, the pizza was undercooked & doughy & just not very good at all. On top of everything, for what we pay I don't understand why breakfast isn't free. There are plenty of other fine hotel chains with the same amenities that offer free continental, if not hot breakfasts. I know you have to pay for breakfast at most of Hiltons, but the cost of this one had us opting out of breakfast altogether. The "Zip" check-out via phone didn't work either, we just kept getting a busy signal & a busy signal again when we tried the front desk. After reading my review & thinking about it, I think this will be my last stay at a Hilton.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Waco? Share your experiences!