“First Anniversary Dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #85 of 311 Restaurants in Waco
Cuisines: European, Mediterranean, Eclectic
Good for: Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: "Waco's home for good food, wine and conversation" Not only is the food wonderful but 1424 offers a full bar with Happy HourTuesday--Friday from 5pm to 7pm! Now 1424 offers fresh fish too!Hours of Operation: Tuesday--Friday, and Sunday for LUNCH and Tuesday through Sunday for DINNER.
Waco, Texas
“First Anniversary Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband and I recently visited 1424 to celebrate our first anniversary. We made a reservation for a Saturday night at 7:30 but it was not needed. There were plenty of empty tables when we arrived. We were seated promptly but it took several minutes before we were approached by a server. Several servers passed by without acknowledging us before drink orders were taken. Once our server began, she did great. She was prompt with taking orders and delivering food and drinks.
We ordered the fried oysters and shrimp appetizer. I was less than impressed. I was expecting everything to be made in-house and these clearly were not. They tasted fine but just wasn't what I would have expected.
For dinner I had the Orange Vermouth Seared Sea Scallops with the potato trio and a caesar salad. The salad was good and the scallops were excellent! There were 5 large scallops on a bed of rice pilaf. The potato trio was unique and tasty! This is a dish I would order again. I will say I would have hoped for more side item choices.
My husband ordered the ribeye steak (medium) with a salad, rice pilaf, and carrots. The steak was cooked properly but was underseasoned for his liking.
For dessert we shared the chocolate mousse layer cake. It was RICH but yummy! I would recommend it.
Overall our experience was pretty good. It was less than what we were expecting but still enjoyable. I will note that the organization of the servers and management seemed a little UNorganized. Just as an observer, there were some servers and a manager scrambling at times with other tables. This didn't really affect us.
We'd go back. :)

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

West, Tx
“Nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Flaming Cheese! It's an appetizer. Worth it to go there for the flame.

We went for our anniversary. It's good for family and friends too, but I had to pick one.

Little pricey but good.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Interesting format”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This place has lots of potential, but a somewhat boring lunch menu. My husband loved his gyro, but my salmon entree was at most 3 ounces and requesting a veggie instead of rice cost an additional $3.50. I really didn't mind, but it seemed exessive. I hope they can spiffy up the choices and succeed.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Groesbeck, Texas
“Great for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Meals are unique and good place for lunch. They've got their own take on Beef Wellington that is pretty good.

Visited September 2012
Whitney, Texas
“Waco's secret dining jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This establishment doesn't get much attention, but has become one of our favorites in Waco. It appears recent renovations have opened up a large new room, and it looks great. More important is the great food and good wine selections. Tortilla soup is amazing goodly, from a Greek chef? Go figure, but it is great. Last visit we had the Crawfish etoufee, and it was ALMOST as good as what we find in New Orleans. Next visit I plan to try the fresh seafood, which for Waco (250 miles from the Gulf coast) will be a treat! :)

The outside appearance is somewhat deceiving. Ignore that, and once you walk in the patio doors you will enter a fine dining experience that will be enjoyed.

Visited October 2012