“Legendary place” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Denver, Colorado
“Legendary place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My son, a Baylor student, insisted on taking me here.
the place was packed. Lots of energy and good food.
Don't miss it!

Visited August 2013

Richmond Heights, Ohio
“chix fried heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Tuesday night, no wait, great food, great prices. All you can eat cat fish and the orginal portion was huge. Chix fried steak was amazing. Fish tacos were wonderful. Very inexpensive, including adult libations. We will go again next time we are in Waco.

Visited August 2013
Arlington, Texas
“With that kind of attitude, why should I give George my money?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Don't know if it is good or bad because we couldn't get seated. I was a new customer and I will never be back. It was a Saturday night (8/17/2013) around 7 pm and very busy which was understandable. We - a party of 3 - got on the list and went outside to wait. This place has a large bar area, but we were hit with the smell of cigarettes when we opened the door to it so that was a wash for us. After about 30 minutes and after all the people who had been waiting outside with us were seated, I went in to check. That is when things got bad. The young woman (brown hair, ponytail, green shirt that said 'Keep Calm and Big O,' white shorts, black shoes, maybe 18, seemed younger because of her attitude) said she had called us 4 times...insisted, in fact...and that because we didn't hear/feel the electronic device, "There was nothing I can do, but put you back on the list." On the list was the bottom of the wait list. This time we stood inside near the desk where we were ignored her and the rest of the front desk staff. To add insult to injury, right as we started waiting, they cleared a 4 top in the left hand corner of that room and it remained empty the entire time of our wait. Several other parties were seated as we waited. Again, each time the (well the job is called hostess, but this person showed no hospitality or graciousness) each time the front door person went by, she ignored us. Didn't give us an update on what was going on, didn't smile, didn't apologize for our inconvenience - oh, wait, it was our fault that we missed our slot. After another long wait, we left. Went to Texas Roadhouse, about 3 minutes away farther south. It still was busy, but we got fast and gracious service from young staff who were not snippy to their customers.
If the person who was at the front desk Saturday night is the type of staff George's hires, I definitely did not want to at the mercy of its wait staff. Who knows what I might have been at fault for. New customers are rare on the ground for most businesses now days, but apparently George's is such a legend in Waco that first impressions (which in my case is also its last impression) don't matter. FYI - we dropped about $65 at Texas Roadhouse for food and drink and tips.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Warren, New Jersey
“Very Texas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This restaurant embodies hometown Texas cooking. I ate here while visiting friends during my first trip to Texas. I was looking for some traditional Texan food and this hit the spot. the food was delish, reasonably priced, and the service was quick and efficient. They have a very diverse menu with something for everyone and even smoke their own meats on the premise. I highly recommend George's if you are in the Waco area!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Valley Mills, TX
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Okay, I'll admit that I avoided this place for years because it sells itself as a Baylor hangout (understandably so). But my first ever visit was such a positive one that I will go back again. I had the Jalapeno Burger (big, juicy, tasty and not too spicy) with fries (also very good and crispy), plus our table ordered onion ring appetizers (delicious light and crisp). My husband and daughter raved about the chicken fried steak: a large portioned thin, cooked perfectly well seasoned cut of meat. Our server was absolutely attentive and the service was fairly fast for a Saturday night.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere