“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 298 Restaurants in Waco
Good for: Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: DiamondBack's is a fine dining establishment in downtown Waco specializing in hand-cut steaks, fresh seafood and a full sushi menu. We also offer happy hour every Monday to Wednesday from 4pm to 7pm and Thursdays from 4pm to 10pm.
Houston, Texas
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Recently I and my family ate at Diamond Backs in Waco, TX. This restraurant had been highly recommended and sadly we were disappointed. I attempted to contact the restraurant several days in advance to determine if a reservation was required or recommended and despite leaving my name and phone number I was never contacted back by anyone. Since this dinner was in conjunction with my daughter's graduation from college and we were travelling from Houston to Waco, I tried again on Saturday, 12/15/2012, and left a second voice message regarding making a reservation for dinner. Fortunately, I did receive a call back and a reservation for dinner was made. Upon arrival we were promptly seated at our table, but that was the only thing that was prompt the entire evening.
Service was slow and almost non-attentive. We repeatedly had to ask to have our water and drink glasses refilled. Our entrees took forever to be served and the delay between our salad and entree was far too lengthy. The server apologized at the end of the meal when he asked how everything had been and he was advised "not so grand". He proceeded to provide excuses as to being backed up in the kitchen, etc.. It would have been courteous and nice to have heard such when the delays were occurring as opposed to hearing such at the end of the evening.
The food was good, but certainly not great. I consider it overpriced based upon the presentation and tastiness. This coupled with the poor service made the evening less than stellar, actually disappointing.
The atmosphere at the restraurant was interesting, but the acoustics were horrible, Despite having only 5 people at our table it was difficult to hear each other because of the overwhelming collective noise within the restraurant. I am uncertain if the volume is always so loud and overwhelming, but it certainly was annoying this evening.
Diamond Backs certainly is not a place for extremely superior food and service despite prices implying such.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Nikki B, Guest Relations Manager at Diamond Backs, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
We are extremely embarrassed to hear about your recent visit to Diamondback's and we want to make it right. Please email us at diamondbackssocial@gmail.com with your information so that Stuart, our General Manager, can reach out directly.

Dallas
“My favorite place to eat when coming to Baylor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The food is fabulous and the drink selections are excellent. The only drawback is I think it is a bit pricey.

Visited December 2012
Nikki B, Guest Relations Manager at Diamond Backs, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you so much for choosing Diamondback's when you come to Waco! We feel honored to be called your favorite. Come see us for happy hour next time for specially-priced appetizers, Monday through Wednesday 4-7pm and Thursday 4-10pm!
Groesbeck, Texas
“Favorite restaurant in Waco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Very good steakhouse. Staff is always friendly and excellant. If you get there at 4, the bar area is open for happy hour. All they serve then is appertizers but those are plenty. The rest of the restaurant opens at 5. Get the Lobster Shooters for an appertizer. Entrees are all great and they have a very good wine list. Dessert is more difficult as there is plenty of fresh ones to choose from.

Visited September 2012
Nikki B, Guest Relations Manager at Diamond Backs, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Gosh, we feel so honored to be called your favorite restaurant in Waco! Thank you for the glowing review George - we truly appreciate your loyalty as a customer of Diamond Back's. See you next time for lobster shooters at the High Noon Saloon!
Waco, Texas
“Diamond Backs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is really overpriced. The food was mediocre and the service was sloppy. We planned for a special night out and could have enjoyed it more for less money somewhere else.

Nikki B, Guest Relations Manager at Diamond Backs, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for your honest review. We strive to provide a delicious and remarkable dining experience for all of our guests, so we are extremely sorry we missed the mark on your visit. Your comments about the "mediocre food" and "sloppy service" will be addressed immediately with our staff.

Although we set our prices as competitively as possible, we do believe in serving only the highest quality beef, seafood and menu items.

We invite you to come back and check out our happy hour in the High Noon Saloon from 4-7pm Monday through Wednesday and 4-10pm on Thursdays for select happy hour menu items ranging from $3 to $6. We also offer rotating specials such as "$2 Sushi Happy Hour" on Tuesdays from 4 to 6pm. These specials change frequently, so please follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay informed.
texas
“Upscale Price but less than upscale food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I recently went for a special occasion. The prices were as expected but the food was less than expected. I ordered the ahi tower as an appetizer and my husban ordered the tortilla soup. The ahi tower was the high light of the meal. I would return only for this dish. My husband's soup was spilled on the table and splattered on his shirt. After receiving a second bowl, he discovered that it was less than tasty and was salty as if it had been prepared from a mix. He had overly cooked shrimp with a good stuffing for his entree and I had a steak that was slightly overcooked from my order. All and all the food ( except the ahi tower) was nothing to remember and the soup is best forgotten.
The atmosphere was pleasant but nothing special. It misses the mark as fine dining.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Nikki B, Guest Relations Manager at Diamond Backs, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you so much for reviewing Diamond Back's and leaving honest feedback. We strive to provide a delicious and remarkable dining experience for all of our guests, so we are extremely sorry we missed the mark on your visit.

We will address the issue of spilled soup with our staff and look into the doneness of the crab stuffed shrimp entree. Our fresh tortilla soup is made from scratch using only high quality ingredients. In regards to the Ahi Tuna Tower, we're so glad you enjoyed it! You should try our sushi rolls on your next visit.

Please return soon to try us again, either for dinner or happy hour.

Been to Diamond Backs? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Diamond Backs, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.