“Ripped Off By Boss Man” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #178 of 311 Restaurants in Waco
Lorena, TX
“Ripped Off By Boss Man”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

A group of 20-25 teachers & staff went to lunch there today during a staff development day. As a courtesy to the restaurant, we called ahead, the week before, to let them know that such a large group would be coming. Much to our surprise when we received our tickets, each person had been charged $2.15 for tea, regardless of whether or not they had received a drink (a lot of people had water). The waitress explained that it was the decision of "the boss man" to do that, although, her explanation was the tea came with the buffet (which was news to us).

When we questioned the tea charge, the 'boss man' said he was charging that since he set up a private buffet for us, which is normally $17.95 a person. We never asked for a private buffet, or a private room, that was their choice. In addition, had he told people they would be charged for tea, more probably would have drank tea. The "boss man" said he had discounted the buffet for us; however, the sign outside the restaurant says "Fajita Buffet - $8.20" and that's exactly what I was charged for the buffet, so he didn't discount it...he ripped off the group to the tune of about $35.

In addition, we were prepared to have gratuity added on to our checks, since we had a large group. What I wasn't prepared for was 20% for a buffet that I had to get my own food and I even had to get my own water refill. All the waitress did was bring me one glass of water when I first sat down. That's over $50 from the group, for bringing out a drink. I have my suspicions too as to whether or not the poor little waitress will even receive all that tip money, or if "boss man" will be keeping a little for himself.

The food was fair, to say the least. Luckily, there are SO MANY good Mexican restaurants in Waco that will treat you fairly, that I can and will be writing this one off for good, as I'm sure others in our party will be too.

One last comment, as I look down through the review questions & it asks "Reservations accepted?" I'd say 'yes', but if you make a reservation, they will charge you for a private party.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Casa De Castillo- Excellent Mexican Food in Waco, tx”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I probably go to this restaurant at least once a month. Each time I leave, I am satisfied with the quality of the food and the friendly service.
I usually order the cheese enchiladas because I can tell that they use a high quality cheese to make them.
My son enjoys their homemade salsa and Queso.
I strongly encourage mexican food lovers to try this restaurant.. You will be pleased.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Casa De Castillo? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Casa De Castillo, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.