“The good, the bad and the ugly” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Waco
Sturtevant, Wisconsin
“The good, the bad and the ugly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Had a 5 night stay planned to visit Baylor College. Excellent location for the college, conference center and museums. The desk clerks were very helpful with information and directions. We stayed 3 nights and then moved on to visIt friends north of Waco. Made a reservation to come back for a one night stay on Friday. Questioned the clerk why the price quoted for Friday was higher than my Saturday thru Monday stay. Was told price is based on availability. I thought that wasn't fair.
During our 3 day stay we has a stained bath towel (looked like makeup) left in our room. I took
It to the front desk and they didn't seem concerned in the least. Also the sheets Do Not fIt the mattresses.
On our Friday night stay, my daughter decided to use the pool. When we went to put her swim suit In the on site dryer, someone was using it. I asked at the desk if there was a laundromat close by as I didn't want to pack a wet swimsuit in our suitcase for our Saturday flight home. The clerk at the desk offered to get it dry for us. I suggest they get more than one washer and one dryer on sIte.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Note: I stayed in this hotel for 10 nights for a local conference. This review is on my room and the rooms of two of my associates during this time.

I travel quite a bit for work and vacation. I don't consider myself a snob about hotels and have stayed in some really nice Hampton Inns, etc.

People that worked here were "nice enough". They just did not seem to care. EXCEPT for the engineer who fixed my outlet and TV. He apologized over and over.

Lobby: This hotel has a lovely lobby with complimentary coffee and tea out front. The weak, nasty coffee was my first hint that I was in for a disastrous stay, but more on that later.

Check in: I came in fairly late, around 8 pm. Check in went fine except I was offered NO HELP with my bags. I had four for this long stay and after a long flight, got to juggle this alone. There was one person behind the desk and I didn’t ask for help, knowing my bags would take forever to get to my room if I did.

Room: I don’t know where to start. I guess with a description. It had new carpet. That was the only good thing. The room had a king bed, and basically a box: around 20 x 20 feet square with the bed, dresser, TV and desk jammed against a wall and very close to the edge of the bed. There was a flat panel LG TV and a weird single serve coffee maker with no sugar or fake/UH cream. There was a small fridge in the cabinet below the tv and the door to the cabinet opened left and the fridge opened right. The fridge was always too cold or not cold enough. There was a small love seat, a tippy coffee table and a computer desk. The sink was separate from the toilet/shower by a door.

The Ugly:
• Bed: Gets its own section
o My first night, I pulled back the covers on the bed to find a long black hair on it.
o There were old greenish stains on the sheets.
o The bed had a huge dip in the middle. I have slept in many hotels. This hotel it was IMPOSSIBLE to sleep through the night. And it never got better. This was not just me: Others in my group said the same thing. The bed simply did not let you sleep: everyone was waking several times a night and complaining of sore backs. After 10 days of this we were all pretty short fused and cranky.
o The pillows were TERRIBLE.
o The sheets didn’t fit and kept coming untucked
o There was no comforter, it was a coverlet covered by a flat sheet.

Other room details
• The room darkening curtains were a good thing and worked well to keep daylight out, despite rips and holes in them covered in white DUCT TAPE!?.
• The bathroom sink area was so small there was nowhere to put anything and the corner of it had a weird hole in it.
• The bath area: mold around the shower handicapped handle.
• Toilet: rust and other stains around it.
• Tub was strangely shallow (no room for a bath here).

Maid Service:
• I used a glass the first night and left it on the coffee table. It stayed there the entire 10 days.
• I never got any fresh glasses and used the same two glasses for my whole stay.
• The housekeeping carts HAVE NO VACUUMS on them! I saw this for myself, and my room, which accumulated crumbs from bringing in takeout, was never vacuumed the whole 10 days.
• An associates bed wasn’t made for three days because she left a shirt on it and the front desk said the maid was not allowed to touch personal items.

Other

• The electrical outlet near my sink did not work and I had to have the hotel engineer come replace it on the second day.
• They changed cable providers while I stayed there. So every room’s TV and remote had to be reprogrammed. After I called them about the snowy TV, it t took them an hour to get to me, when I got to my room to relax for a few hours.
• The rooms and hallways on some floors smelled moldy and damp.
• One friend’s room also had mold and a HOLE IN THE WALL.
• I was on the second floor and someone above me thought doing laps in their room all night was a great idea. Thump Thump Thump most nights til 2 AM.

Breakfast: This is the only meal served here. They charge $9.95 for the buffet in addition to the room, and it’s not worth half that. The only saving grace about it was the lovely chef making custom omelets. She was a fantastic lady, laughing and joking and great customer service. The dining area is pretty shabby looking with scratched chairs and ripped areas.

Bar: Maybe six people can sit here.

Pool: Outside, filthy and needs to be resurfaced. Hot tub/spa: There used to be one. It is now FILLED WITH CEMENT!

Departure; I was never asked how my stay was, if they could do something more, etc. Not once. I did get apology after apology about the room, the service etc., when I mentioned anything. But apologies, by the end of the week, were pretty hollow.

I heard rumors that this Marriott is about to undergo a significant facelift. I sure hope so. Please please change ALL the beds! I felt tortured by the end of the week. Even with this upgrade, I can’t say I would investigate staying here again.

Room Tip: Don't do it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jennifer S, General Manager at Courtyard Waco, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
I wanted to express my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay at the Courtyard by Marriott in Waco. It is extremely disappointing and embarrassing the lack of service the hotel provided you. The staff at the Courtyard by Marriott Waco strives to provide excellent customer service. I can see this time, we have failed greatly.

I have taken full responsibility in reporting to every department the issues you encountered and will personally ensure the management team is retraining the staff to prevent any of this happening again.

Thank you so very much for your feedback. It is the only way that we can improve our service. I would truly appreciate the opportunity to speak to you directly about your stay. Please feel free to contact me at (254) 752-8686 ext. 600.

Jennifer Scott
Courtyard by Marriott - Waco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed over the weekend to visit my son at Baylor. Hotel is pretty typical of 1st generation Courtyard. Checkin staff was excellent, room was clean and moderately updated. Only complaint is the carpet is worn and needs to be replaced and the ice maker on our floor was out of order. It was a good value at a weekend discount through Priceline. Can't beat the location for a Baylor visit. I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We were visiting Waco on a weekend and decided to stay downtown for a change. The courtyard Waco is right next to the Waco convention center, which would be nice if you had a convention to attend.

The hotel is similar to most courtyard hotels I have visited. The pool is outdoors and the fitness center is in a separate building out in the courtyard. It is a nice clean room and we got a good weekend price.

We did have several disappointments however. There were signs for a hot tub bu when we found it, the tub was filled with concrete and covered over with paving stones! The signs were still up szlhowing the rules for use.

The mattress cover on the bed was too small to the bed and pulled off during the night. Also, the heater was noisy and woke me up.

Overall it was a.clean room and the front desk people were nice and the price was good. I would come back but would leave my bathing suit home.

• Stayed February 2013
Jennifer S, General Manager at Courtyard Waco, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced with the hotel during your stay in Waco. Your feedback means a great deal to the staff and we take every comment very seriously.

The hot tub signs should have been removed from the building. I understand this was misleading and disappointing. Secondly, I have ordered new bedding for the rooms so the issue will not happen again.

I would truly like the chance to personally handle any future reservations on your next trip to Waco.
Omaha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 5 nights over the Christmas holiday. We were delighted that the outdoor pool was open and warm, as was the outdoor spa. Both were clean and well maintained. The exercise room was Precor equipment. The rooms were fine and the staff was great. This Courtyard only serves breakfast but you can easily, and safely, walk to a number of restaurants one block to the east on the other side of the convention center. We'll stay here next time we're in town visiting family.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed last night because we stayed last year and had a pleasant stay. Not so goo this time. The sheets were constantly sliding off the bed so all night I kept tucking them over the edges. They were worn and didn't fit the bed. The shower was turned off so tight that I had a hard time turning it on then had to use a towel to turn it off because it wouldn't stop running. The pillows were too small. And lumpy. Never could figure out the air conditioner.
I was disappointed. I do not think I will stay the next time we come in for a ball game. We'll move to another place.

Room Tip: Just not as good as I had anticipated for the price.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Amarillo, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Breakfast was $10.00 an had a egg station. Service was slow on getting refills an seating was limited. There was a convention going on.
They had 3 shuttles, shuttling people back an forth ever 20 min. I will stay there again

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Courtyard Waco? Share your experiences!