“Real roosters and tall drink” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Vega
Cuisines: Mexican
Glendale, Arizona
“Real roosters and tall drink”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I was driving through and needed a tall drink. They were happy to get me one for the road and they were busy. I liked the comfortable and neighborhood feel and took pics of front porch roosters and really big standing rooster out front. So shouldn't miss the restaurant.Wish I was hungry but will try next time. Just down street is Dot's Mini Museum on 12 St which is blast to the past.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Best guacamole I have ever had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We live in Texas and know good Mexican food. Driving through Vega we stopped on a whim. We discovered a real treat and plan on stopping on our return trip, as well. The food was freshly chopped and prepared! The breakfast burrito is highly recommended but the chips and guacamole were just delicious!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Scituate, Massachusetts
“Superb local hole-in-wall on Rte66/I-40. We stopped again on way back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

It is rare that we don't wait until New Mexico for our fix of Mexican or southwestern food. But on this stretch of I-40/Rte66 things are a little sparse - particularly if you want to avoid the chains of Amarillo.
Roosters was a great place to stop. Friendly and efficient staff. Tasty and colorful food and very good prices. Nice locals who were very chatty with us.
The owner/chef came out to check on us. We eat GLUTEN-FREE and he paid special attention to make sure we were OK.
If you are in this neck of the woods, it is worth planning this stop into your trip as they are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They have a license if you want a beer or margarita.
A word of caution - some of the phone mapping services seem to bring you to the wrong place. Don't worry, Roosters is there and is on the Westbound old Rte-66 heading out of town back towards the main highway.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great Hole-in-the-Wall Mexican Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is a small restaurant off of I-40 in Vega. It is well worth the detour for some excellent food. We ate the chile relleno and enchilada plates and were very pleased. We went back a second time and I ate the carne asada. Make sure you finish with sopapillas.

Visited November 2012
the West
“What a fun restaurant on Route 66”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My brother took us to Roosters and promised a treat. It was that from the fun front porch to the cool decor on the inside. It was hard to quit reading the signs on the walls and looking at the doodads to read the menu. We had homemade food that was delicious and reasonably priced served by a pleasant waitress. The green sauce on my chile relleno was excellent. I love to go to restaurants with good food and cool ambience. Roosters has it all. Stop if you are in the neighborhood. My great niece says their breakfast burritos are to die for.

• Visited September 2012