“We will stay here again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Whitten Inn

You added Whitten Inn to your Saves list
Whitten Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1705 West Broadway, Van Horn, TX 79855 (Formerly America's Best Value Inn)   |
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Van Horn
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Houston
“We will stay here again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We read all the reviews for Van Horn and picked the Whitten Inn. And we got exactly what we thought we would find: a good location, nice clean room, fair price. No train noise. The steakhouse next door was definitely a plus and my daughter thought it was the best steak she had eaten in some time. No complaints and we will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I am on a bicycletrip from Washington DC to Los Angeles and I stayed at 20 different Motels so far. I was surprised, how friendly I got treated. They eaven let me use the Washingmashine and the Dryer for free. The rooms are nice and clean. I would go there again. G.

• Stayed July 2013
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We arrived late & with a coupon. The man at the front desk didn't say much but stuck us in one of the side rooms when there was clearly rooms available in front. Anyway, we drove around to our room and it was kind of scary looking. Just a door & no windows out front. Needless to say the inside wasn't much better at all. There were slidind doors in the back that opened up to an empty lot with junk scattered around. It didn't feel safe at all. Carpet was dirty, a/c unit was dirty, bathroom window was dirty, curtains were dirty, there were what seemed like cigarette burn holes in the blanket, lots of dust by the fridge, the door securty latch was broken, there was a dead bug in the bathroom, a pube & dried pee on the toilet & a large spill of some sort behind the bathroom door. A/C worked great, beds cave in the middle, towels are very thin. We will not be staying here again when in the area. Pictures are worth a thousand words. See below.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
angela b, Manager at Whitten Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
We are very sorry your stay was'nt pleasant. When our guest come in and ask for rooms with double beds we try very hard to accomidate them. With that said we only have 2 rooms in the front of the property with double beds. So we didnt have anything available in the front area.Normally when guest check in at 2am they are half asleep and we try to get them placed as quickly as possible so they can relax and enjoy there night. We are working very hard to get our porperty well maintained and clean as possible. Again we aplolgize you didnt have a pleasant.
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

If you're traveling through Texas and see a Whitten property, my advice is: no matter how tired you are, look somewhere else for a place to spend the night. The Whitten Inn looked nice--a spacious room with two queen beds for $50. Then we noticed the t.v. got four channels--news,two sports and oxygen.Can't have everything, right?Except...where were the washcloths?Cups for the coffeemaker? Shouldn't the WiFi work? The bedspread was dirty. The rug was dirtier. The bathroom obviously hadn't been mopped in awhile. But we were dead tired. We went to bed. And for three hours bugs crawled on me and bit me. I got out of bed,went and showered thoroughly, and complained at the front desk. They said they weren't allowed to give refunds;only the owner could do that. I got the number to call. After a couple tries (I kept getting passed off) I spoke to someone and was told I didn't complain soon enough, so they wouldn't refund my money. I am handicapped. I use a wheelchair. How fast do they expect me to move?
As it is, I got three hours' broken sleep--maybe-- before complaining. If I had complained sooner, I'm willing to bet they would have said I'm just a complainer.
The person on the phone actually said the bugs in the bed were brought there by us!
Avoid Whitten Inn like the plague.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
angela b, Manager at Whitten Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
We apologize that you had a bad stay. when your husband left the office we informed him as we do all guest that if there is a problem please call the front desk and we will take care of it ASAP. We didnt hear anything from you until the next morning when you came in and ask for a refund. I did ask what the problem was , your response was im not adrama queen and i want a refund. I did ask what the problem was once more and you said you had been eaten up by bugs and you couldnt get in the shower. That same day we had the exterminator on the property and the only bugs we could find were fleas on the bed . Those could have come from your dog that you had in the room. We checked the t.v and it had been unprogrammed with the remote from your room. Again we do apologize for any inconvience that you had.
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We arrived late and hungry. The friendly people at the desk delayed checking us in in order for us to be served at the excellent restaurant next door. The room was much, much better than I expected, really first rate. I left my ipod there and they contacted me and mailed it to my house, refusing any compensation for all that trouble. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
angela b, Manager at Whitten Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you in the future
Patagonia, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The reviews were right on, older motel that is well taken care of and we were pleasantly surprised. VERY nice, clean, front staff was amazing and made you feel right at home. Not a large place, parking right in front of our room which was very nice. Would encourage anyone to stay here and the price is even more encouraging. CLEAN CARPET, good beds/pillows, Breakfast included, Wi-Fi, HBO all the items you would want except no pool. No problem for us but if you have children that might be a consideration.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 33 and it was very nice and clean, close to office and good parking
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
angela b, Manager at Whitten Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with whitten inn . we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay.have a wonderful day
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I booked The Whitten Inn after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. It looks like an old fashioned motel that I stayed in as a child. But the room was up to date with a flat screen TV with HBO, two good beds, a fridge, and very clean bathroom. We have travelled in Europe often in the last couple of years and this hotel would receive four stars in France or Italy. Good value for the money.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
angela b, Manager at Whitten Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you for your review. It helps us to improve where we need improvement. Thank you for your business.

Been to Whitten Inn? Share your experiences!