“Just what's needed after a long drive” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Van Horn
Houston, TX
“Just what's needed after a long drive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

We stayed twice at this hotel during a spring break trip -- once on our way to Arizona and again on our way back -- and both stays were at the end of a very long drive. Our stays were perfect. The facilities are relatively new, attractive, clean, and well kept; the service was friendly and helpful; and our rooms were welcoming, clean, and comfortable. Van Horn is a very small town on I-10, and the hotel is at the outskirts along the freeway frontage road (the last building on that stretch of road, in fact), but it's easy to access. A minute or so and we were right back on I-10. We were very pleased with our stay. A great Hampton Inn experience and a good night's rest!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Fort Worth, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

Stayed here twice in the last week during travel to/from Tucson. Hotel is about a year old. Decorations and furnishings are nice. Room was slightly small but was very comfortable. Everything was clean. Hot breakfast was very good. I had a waffle one morning and spanish omelet and sausage the second morning. The staff was very pleasant. Only reason I didn't give sleep quality an excellent was because of the several inconsiderate guests who allow their room door to slam shut either late at night or early in the morning. Of course, that is a problem in most hotels.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

This seems to be a new trend in Hamptons, for the single rooms to be very small. I guess it makes the initial cost per room lower when the hotel is built, but I'm not enamored of the result. There is no microwave because the usual spot is taken by the coffee maker. I had to move the ice bucket, coffee maker, etc. in order to get enough flat space to put my stuff. The bath is also small and cramped for a Hampton. There is a good-sized work desk. I guess it's "cozy" but it's also kind of a pain-in-the-neck. If the price was Motel 6 range, ok. But I expect more at Hampton prices.

Having said all that, the room was clean and comfortable. The bed was very good, although the pillows were a bit crinkly. The AC/heat worked ok, but it switches back and forth between cool and heat to maintain the temperature.

There was good/fast wired internet, but a cable was not included with the room. Presumably there is wireless internet as well. There is an outlet in the wall over the work desk. There is a nice flat screen TV with lots of channels. Due to the small room, the TV is close to the bed, which helps make up for the cramped room.

The check-in girl was super-nice, and helped me out with a tube of toothpaste. The hot breakfast was great and the lady running the breakfast area very friendly.

The motel is located at the far west end of Van Horn. You can see the freeway and the railroad but you can't hear them. Van Horn is a cool little town in the middle of frickin nowhere. The prices are a bit high because you have to drive many miles in either direction to find the next decent lodging. As far as restaurants you'd know, there is McDonalds real close, Wendy's halfway through town, and Subway at the far end of town. There are also local restaurants. Driving down the main street through town is like the old west. Great place to visit.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Decorah, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

We try to stay in Embassys and Marriotts but once in a while will stay in a Hampton. This one - on the edge of town is quite a bit above the norm - quite new, with a number of nice amenities. The rooms are quite lovely though small, and the pillows and beds were wonderful.

I would recommend it for a night's stay! Good deal, nice night's rest - the usual breakfast.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
ConroeTX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

I am in my eighties and still working and traveling. But I find myself forgetting things more often. Thanks to Hampton Inn, Van Horn, I have keepers who, unasked, look after me.
I have COPD and Sleep Apnea and must use a machine to help me breathe while I sleep.
Three days ago, I checked out of my room and headed home, leaving behind both my breathing machine and my meds. Desk clerk, Donetta Howard called and told me what I had done. I asked her to forward the machine and meds, which she and Holly Bailey promptly did. Though I had a couple of uncomfortable nights, they saved me from a lot of grief.
My thanks to those two fine ladies and to Hampton Inn, Van Horn.
I'll be back!
Bill Barnes

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
suburbia,ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

We actually stayed here on 30 Dec AND 4 Jan..driving from CA to East Texas, then returning. We needed a pace about halfway that took pets, as we were travelling with a large lab and a small chihuahua. The property was clean, breakfast, good, fitness room great. The night manager pleasant. I was glad I had made reservations, as there was a sign onthe door when we rrved that the hotel was booked. I stay at Hamptons frequently while on business travel. My only con would be that the bed comforters did not seem to be clean. Breakfast food=cereals, oatmeal, toast, bagels, eggs, bacon, waffles, fruit, coffee juices....perfect for a quick breakfast.

Return trip, Jan 4: Again, we arrived late..again, glad for the reservation s it was sold out. The only complaint (other than the comforter issue)....and this complaint is not so much geared towards the Hampton Inn...but they should really have parking specifically for RVs and those travelling with campers or trailers: About 15 spaces on our side of the motel were taken up by inconsiderate folks who felt it was somehow okay to take up three to four spaces, parking across the spaces when there were other spots near the front the hotel and to the east side of the hotel that could handle these types of vehicles. We managed to find one in a spot in front of an RV, and parked there....if the owner had wanted to leave before we did he or she would have been SOL, as they were blocked in from the back also. Same owner also had the generator on ALL night...(I asume there were people sleeping in it because the generator was on and one f the sides was poppedou?) We unfortunately had the room overlooking the RV, and could hear it.generating away into the wee hours. Perhaps the Hampton Inn there can create and set aside some larger spots for the RV and travel trailer people?

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

What a gem! This hotel was new, very clean and obviously well run. The rooms were immaculately clean, the pool was heated well maintained, the staff welcoming and friendly. My husband used the fitness center and said it was fine for what he needed. He and the kids used the pool. There was very little (if any) noise from the hallways or from the adjoining rooms which was surprising becasue the hotel was at capacity during our visit. We traveled for 12 days and this was an oasis. I'd stay here again and will recommend it to anyone traveling in through this part of Texas.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Van Horn? Share your experiences!