“Great Business venue” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Tyler
State College, Pennsylvania
“Great Business venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Stayed here for a meeting and business trip. Hotel staff was excellent. Rooms were what you would expect for a Holiday Inn. The meeting room was very spacious and accommodates a lot of people. The food they served for lunch was very fulfilling. I would recommend this to anyone traveling for business.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review on our hotel, The Holiday Inn So. Broadway in Tyler TX. We appreciate the fact that you took the time to comment on the hotel, the services and the food. I will share your comments with the rest of the staff. Hope to see you back soon....

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Plano, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed in 124 the 1st night. No towel racks, dirty carpet, moldy smell, noisy fan, AC didn't get below a very warm 70. We suspect it was closer to 74. And there was a giant splotch of mold between the toilet and tub. Caused by the apparent leak behind the shower (as water squirted out of the hole above shower head). Do you know how they remedied the mold? They waited until we were gone and went in and painted over it. However, they DID move us to 505 and comped 124. In 505, the room smelled fresh and the AC seemed to work...but then again, so did the toilet. Until that is, we flushed the toilet. It seemed slow and I commented to the staff we might have a problem. Then I went to my retreat for the day....or at least what was left of it, since I spent so much time packing everything up and then moving it to 505... where toilet backed up and had to be plunged. The first night at 11:35 and again the next day. AND I assume again the next day, as by that time it was ozzing onto the floor. And Holiday Inn wants to only comp one night. We stayed two nights in that room. Every time they plunged it we thought it was fixed but let's face it, most people don't stay in the room. So we didn't know it wasn't working until we flushed. Yikes. Now I'm having to debate with management about the fact that they should comp our hideous stay. Frankly, if I were the manager I would have comped it and offered free nights at any Holiday Inn as compensation. But did we get that? No. The last phone call I had w/the manager was not pleasant. As she suggested that WE had stuffed toilet paper down the toilet. Really? So we somehow broke in and did that b/f we even had the room? Sheesh.

Room Tip: Don't get excited about a balcony or pool view, as all of the sliding doors are bolted shut.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
While we appreciate comments from our guests, we do not show you as a registered guest in either of the rooms you mentioned. We did comp two nights of the three nights stayed to the registered guests in those rooms.for their inconvenience. Thank you.
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Met up with a friend in Tyler, and decided to stay at the Holiday Inn on South Broadway. Seemed the hotel was a little bit older, but wasnt a bad stay at all. The bath room was a bit small for my liking, but thats the only thing that I personally didnt care for. Would I stay here again tho, yes!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Thank you for your review on the Holiday Inn So Broadway Tyler TX. We appreciate your comments and were happy to hear you enjoyed yourself during your stay. We hope to see you again when you visit Tyler.
Broken Arrow, Ok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I was very comfortable as a single woman at this hotel. The hotel rooms were very clean and the air conditioning cold. The atmosphere didn't have a lot of pomp and circumstance, check-in was swift and the staff was very kind and helpful. I loved, loved, loved that I could walk to several restaurants to eat dinner. If I had to find one thing that I thought they could fix, it would be the workout room. I was still able to get a pretty good workout in, but it could use some help.
I will stay there next time I am in town.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you for your nice comments regarding our hotel. I noticed you mentioned our fitness center. I have good news for you. In our multi millon dollar renovation we will be increasing the size of our fitness center. We hope to have that completed by end of third quarter of 2014. In the meantime, however, our guests are invited to show their room key at Woodcreek Athletic Club where they can use all the facilities while a guest at our hotel. Thank you again, see you soon!
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Traveled to Tyler with family for a race with two young boys and an 18 month girl. We travel alot and could get past the renovation mess. Didn't know it when we booked but it is what it is. However, we didn't ask to be kept awake all night by dogs barking. The room next to us had a dog that barked loud and non-stop till it's owner arrived back at midnight. A few doors down was another dog barking intermittingly due to this dog. Front desk acted like there was nothing they could do. Said that they should have a policy that you can't leave your dog unattended. Great idea but too late for us that just paid good money to listen to that non-stop for 4 hours. We all had to be up at 6 am and manager on duty next morning offered nothing but a few jokes, which we were not in the mood for. Hotel doesn't seem to have it's act together and is still struggling to catch up to the others around it. I'd avoid it if at all possible, as we will next time we are in Tyler.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding the issue with the dogs. We are working on new policies to handle the Pet Friendly hotel concept of our hotel. As far as the renovations are, we have completed the total room renovation except for the closet and guest rooms doors. The pool area has been completed with a new pergola and new decking. We will soon be renovating the restaurant and lounge that will not affect the guest room area. I am sorry you were not happy with your stay. I hope if you return to Tyler you will check out our new look.
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

After last year’s experience at a different hotel in this city for the same type of meetings, I was leery. It was refreshing to have front desk staff welcome me and offer a speedy check-in. This chain offers no frills standardization, with clean rooms and basic amenities. I can’t speak to price since the reservations were handled by another, but all aspects of this hotel imply a great business trip experience.

Because of the uniform accommodations, if you’ve seen one, you have pretty much seen them all. You probably would not have a romantic weekend trip at this hotel, any more than you would to this city. However, if you, as a married couple or as part of company travel, were in the area to take advantage of the low cost tourist spots, natural beauty for hiking, the famous roses, or whatever other than Valentine’s Day variety trips, you would do well to stay at this property.

My room was large and clean. Additionally, we held a meeting in the hotel and the facilities were sufficient. I did not see any high technology equipment, but ample outlets, bright lighting, and so forth allow nearly any meeting to occur there with ease.

The only odd aspect of the stay was the room situation. Our group had the second floor. When I looked out of the window, which appeared to be like any other, the view turned out to be of a corridor. You could look out at the meeting rooms on the first floor from the room. Since the window didn’t open, I couldn’t imagine why it was situated that way. Amusingly, some lights installed in the pseudo-balcony area outside of the window are on a timer of some sort. In the morning, I forgot that there was no window as these lights mimicked a sunrise!

The best part of the hotel, and the parking and location are great, is the restaurant. Pam and another server were awesome when we went down for breakfast .The omelet station fellow made a delicious omelet (waffles are an option too) to augment the assortment of fruit, hash browns, biscuits, and many other breakfast options. Yogurt and cereals of many brands and makeups flanked granola and other items abounding in variety. Pam made sure that our water and coffee cups never emptied.

I will suggest that we use this hotel next year.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. I appreciate the fact that you took note of our quality staff and great food. We are completed with the room renovations and soon will be renovation the restaurant and louge area. I hope when you return next year you will be able to enjoy the new atmosphere. Thank you again....See you soon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

For the price they charge to stay go find another hotel. The hotel was under renovation but I could tell if our room had been renovated or was needing it. Many cosmetic flaws within the room. The deadbolt on the door did not function. The refrigerator did not get cool enough to use. The worse part of the stay was the water temperature in the room was messed up. While taking a shower the water would change from scolding hot to freezing cold on its own and our friends who stayed a couple floors up also reported this.
They wanted as much money as the hilton down the road and other hotels who had gotten a lot better reviews. The customer service was not the best either. While asking for a change of rooms the front desk girl seemed preoccupied with a fellow male co-worker who looked like a maintenance man. Needless to say we did not get a room change and was told there is nothing that would fix because the problems with the water is hotel wide.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding the water issues you and your friends encountered during your stay with us. I am happy to report that we are close to 80% complete on changing out our shower valuves that caused the issue to happen. We have 183 rooms and it has taken a few months to get all the rooms completed due to occupancy issues. I hope that you will come back and see us again when the renovations are complete. Thank you again for your comments.

Been to Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway? Share your experiences!