“Comfortable and clean, but dated hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Tyler

You added Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Tyler to your Saves list
Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Tyler
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3303 Troup Highway, Tyler, TX 75701 (Formerly Residence Inn Tyler)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Tyler
East Texas
“Comfortable and clean, but dated hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We spent one night here in a two bedroom studio. Access is from outdoors and rooms are in separate quad style buildings probably built in the 70's or 80's. Our studio was 2 story with one bedroom upstairs in a loft. If you want privacy between upstairs and downstairs this is not the place. The loft is open to the downstairs and anyone trying to sleep upstairs is going to have to listen to anything going on downstairs. Also it was winter and with the heat on to keep the downstairs warm the upstairs gets very warm. There is a separate wall type A/C upstairs and I suppose you could run the A/C upstairs to cool the loft off while the heat was running downstairs, but we didn't try this. The rooms were generally updated and looked ok, but somewhat worn. As a typical Marriott the rooms were clean and the beds comfortable and the price was very reasonable as would be expected.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Big Springs tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

My trip was ideal from making my reservation to my stay. I called to make my reservation and I was able to make it with such ease. A young woman named Kindra answered the phone and seemed to be very concerned with me being comfortable while I was there. From the floor I was on to the accessability of my vehicle from my front door. Being an elederly man this was very important to me. I called back multiple times to change some things with my reservation. It was her I got everytime. I was always hoping to hear her kind voice when I called with yet another request. I am a long time rewards member and will, without a doubt, continue to come back to my home away from home. The rooms were beautiful and the property was a little dated but kept up nicely.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Tyler, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I initially loved everything about my stay from the day I booked my reservation until I checked in...until I met the Security Guard. I know he called himself doing his job but his actions went into pure harassment. We had a scavenger hunt and he noticed the girls (4 of them run out the room). He told me if there was a noise complaint he would have to put us out.I told him that there wasn't going to be one (this was around 10 that night and we had already been in the room since around 5PM and no one had complained). He proceeded to tell me with that many girls there was going to be one. Anyway we left to find the items on the list. When we came back we got ready to go get something to eat and he was standing under my door. I asked if the girls were being to loud and he replied he was waiting on a noise complaint. By this time I had lost my cool. It's one thing for another guest to call and say we are being to noisy but for him to be sitting under my door waiting to hear noise is something else! Needless to say I gave him a few choice words. Never in my life would I have imagined something like that and I hope I never will again. And for $160 he should have apologized! And might I add there was no noise complaint!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Spring
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Tyler area hotels were booked due to Canton's First Monday. We were fortunate to get a room at this Residence Inn at the last minute. As I was checking in I overheard Erika, the receptionist, talking on the phone to someone staying at the hotel. The person was trying to get a larger room and Erika had to deliver the message that no rooms were available. She set the tone for my stay because she was very polite and professional to the person. I could tell by her comments they weren't so polite to her. Good job Erika! The studio room was a good size, had a kitchen, a queen bed and a couch that made into a bed. Everything was very clean. The only thing I would have liked to have seen is plastic cups instead of glass. The breakfast had REAL eggs (versus powdered at most other hotels) and a full menu of other food items. We enjoyed our stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We were in Tyler and ended up deciding to stay at the last minute. I'd worked here back in the 90s and that and the location were the reasons we stayed here. I wish we'd been there during the week so I could speak to someone I used to work with. I thought it was Tyler's best in the 90s. It's actually so much better now. There seems to be real teamwork and vision going on here and out of 7 Residence Inns we stayed at this year, this one was the best. Friendly, clean, anticipates your needs. The best. Congratulations to everyone on the RI Tyler team because this is a first class stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Aledo, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

When we booked this hotel, we thought it would be like the other Residence Inns we had stayed in other cities. Wow.....how wrong we were. Pulling into the hotel, we knew it would be bad. Hotel on outside needs paint and updating! Lobby was old and not pleasant. When we opened the door to our room, I looked at my husband and said "I'm not staying here". The room was very dark, sofa and chair were stained with I don't want to know. Carpet was dirty, drapes were very outdated. Didn't sit on bed, I was afraid too. Marriott, should be ashamed to put their name on this property! We left and went to Hilton Garden Inn and got a room. Beautiful hotel and new! It was the Ritz compared to the Marriott Residence Inn!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed in the two-bedroom "penthouse" unit and were appalled with the condition it was in. Sure wish we hadn't driven an extra 20 miles away from the brand new Hampton Inn at Lindale to stay in this tenement. The building we were in should be condemned. We have stayed in Marriott properties all over the world and have always been impressed with how clean and comfortable they always are, but the Tyler location is NOT AT ALL. I have never called corporate to report the condition of any Marriott hotel, but this one made me pick up the phone. Our room was something even Motel 6 would be ashamed of. The carpet was so filthy and old, the pattern was only visible around the edges of the floor. The couch and chair upholstery were heavily stained and threadbare. Every lampshade had multiple tears in it large enough for the light to shine through. Our bathroom door appeared to be multiple layers of paint over black-mold-destroyed wood. The sink faucet only ran hot water while the shower faucet only ran cold water. The shower head sprayed more water on the ceiling than down into the tub. The oven in the kitchenette was so old we were scared to even attempt using it. Our ceiling fan must have been at least 20 years old - originally white, but now almost orange with nicotine stains. We had to walk past the light switches in the living area and go upstairs to turn on the fan in the downstairs living area because of faulty electrical wiring. The room sleeps six people, but there are only enough chairs in the living area for half of the guests to sit down at one time. The air conditioner would only stay on for an hour or so at a time, despite the 100-degree heat all weekend. The mattress on our bed was so thin, you could feel the box spring underneath it when you tried to sleep. Everything about this room, from the upholstery, linen and drapes to the plumbing and electrical appear to be original and at least 20-25 years old - never upgraded, updated, renovated or replaced. The common area looks like it was remodeled several years ago, but their efforts never made it past the main building. And did I mention we paid full price for this hell-hole? When I spend $135 per night of my hard-earned money - which is a high price to pay in Tyler - I expect the hotel to look like someone worked hard to make sure everything was taken care of when I arrived. Apparently, a clean, comfortable place to stay is too much to ask of this place. Spend your money somewhere else - we wish we had!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Tyler? Share your experiences!